Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
sweatloaf

Sport Chalet G.O.B. Sale

Way to go Sport Chalet MBAs, you've destroyed a family's multi-generational business in the name of mindless over-expansion.

Anyway it is at the 30% stage in the scuba dept. Burbank had little/nothing of diving interest yesterday, but as of today Santa Anita has JBL booties in Med, gloves in XL, fins in XL; Cressi Gara fins (and the $99 knockoffs) in all sizes; suit glue; black and yellow fiberglass, Trident 3-pc Al, and JBL gold 3-pc pole spears.

Does this count as hot spotting?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
Timinator

Re: Sport Chalet G.O.B. Sale

Not their first BK, but this one sounds like the last. I grew up in La Canada where they had their first "Chalet". I still have a down jacket from them my folks bought me when I was in high school from the early '70's. Their stuff was top notch back then. Finally threw out a pair of Lowa boots just a few years ago from the same time period. I still have one of their "after dive jackets" that I use whenever I get out of colder waters. They'll be missed.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Ron S

Re: Sport Chalet G.O.B. Sale

I know this is a bit outdated, but since you guys have a history with this store, I'll pass this on...
I was at the Elk Grove Chalet about halfway through the sale. I wanted a price on a BC, and was waiting to talk to the manager. I stood by while he dealt with a woman who had purchased basic scuba lessons for her husband and son. She did so right before the store announced they were going out of business and apparently scheduled everything online. Since they were no longer doing the classes, she was there for a refund. The manager told her that since she didn't have a paper receipt, (she had a copy of the credit card bill), that he would not refund her money for the classes. She said she scheduled it all online, and to look at his computer. The manager said as soon as the store announced it was going out of business, all the computers were "wiped clean". He wouldn't even refund her for the unopened, unused class materials she had purchased. Told her to try and sell the stuff on e-bay.
She got seriously ripped off and he made it clear he couldn't care less.

When he got to me, I showed him a bc on a rack. None of the BC's had price tags, but the sign on the rack said "all BC's 20% off marked price". The one I was looking at had an attached air 2. There was a tag on the air 2 that read, "bc and regulator, $150". (OK, obviously way too good to be true). I showed that to the manager and he said that was only for the air 2, and not the BC. I pointed out that the tag said regulator AND BC. He just said, "no way, the BC is like another $500", and walked away. Wouldn't even talk to me any longer.
He could easily have spent 5 minutes, made an executive decision, and gave me a decent deal, but the little punk clearly didn't give a rip. I don't recall the make of the BC, but it was an OK looking back inflate. If he'd offered to sell me the setup for $300 or so, I'd have been happy and they certainly wouldn't have lost anything.
I'd have loved to have him on video and play it for his next potential employer.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote