Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 11-24-2003, 03:05 PM   #31
Steel Shootin'

Doug, thanks for the information. That is a help, and now I have a little better understanding of who the players are. All we can ask for is objectivity in any analysis. I have a hard time understanding how a council can be objective in it's rule making power when it has longliners representing commercial interests, but regardless, recreational spearfishermen should remain level headed and work towards compiling data.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:43 PM   #32
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

That's right, Scott. We also need to follow through on DISTRIBUTING that data in the right places, at the right times. That is how the commercial interests stay visible and vocal. We will soon have our own group, I am sure. As Doug said, our concerns must be presented "in a fully rational and professional manner."
Thank you for the information, Doug. Pleasure to see you on the board. Is Sea Grant a part of Wood's Hole Oceanigraphic Institute?

Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore spearfishers and anglers. Join us!
http://www.thefra.org

Check out OFFSHORE HUNTER
Waypoint management software for the serious spearfisher.
Got numbers?
http://www.offshorehunter.com
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:32 PM   #33
Ed Walker

Thank you Doug. That helps. I was not exactly sure of the entire process or how quickly it may pass and be implemented. Since most of us here believe the data used in this study to be flawed we will be following it very closely and actively participating in any further discussions from here on out. Glad to have your experienced input in handling such things. We hope you'll pass along any other information that may be helpful. Most of the folks here are open minded when it comes to bag and size limits and conservation where needed, unlike many of the commercial interests. If we felt the hogfish were indeed in trouble Im sure we would support reasonable protective measures to preserve one of our favorites.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:35 AM   #34
DGregory

The FINAL hogfish stock assessment could go to the FWC as early as their March 2004 meeting. After this final assessment you will have a better idea of what the managemet options will be.
You should expect the scientists to be objective and the staff somewhat but remember the agency staff are not only bringing information to the politicians but they are also charged with carrying out the agencies' decisions. The Council or Commission members who are not agency representatives are political appointees and whether they are commercial, recreational, or environmental they have a political agenda and they will push it whenever they can. I contend the best way to deal with political agendas is to confront them with documented facts whenever you can. You can not fault anyone for looking out for their own interests.

With respect to Sea Grant-- This is a relatively small national program funded by Congress through NOAA. SG has two main missions: 1) to conduct academic marine research that will be of benefit to the nation and 2) to conduct community "extension" education programs. This effort was patterned after the Cooperative Extension Service that has worked so well for the agriculture industry. We have a SG Marine Extension Agent in most coastal counties. We all do things a little differently depending on our expertise and the needs of our respective communities. About 30% of the Fla SG money goes to community education efforts.

Fisheries management just happens to be my expertise. I serve on scientific advisory panels for both federal councils and have worked closely with NMFS and FWC staff in the past. I also grew up and currently live in Key West so diving and fishing consume most of my nonworking time. So, I am both personally and professionally interested in seeing hogfish managed correctly.

For more on Florida Sea Grant go to: www.flseagrant.org/

Regards,
Doug
DGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:40 PM   #35
njdiver

Quote:

"If Im not mistaken,that is exactly what the FSDA is supposed to do. The FSDA already has a charter,by-laws,money,and officers in place.
-Standing By-"

capt.Rich

This being the case, are any of the posters and/or members of this forum members of FSDA's or their member clubs. If so, the way to get the FSDA interested in this issue starts at the club level with a resolution to direct the FSDA to look into it or a motion to direct their Legislative “Committee” to create a policy statement and purse it. From their Legislative page they make a strong statement of their pro-spearfishing stance.

Thank you for the compliment on our NJCDC. We’re just four years younger than the FSDA.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:48 PM   #36
Steel Shootin'

Yes, there are many FSDA guys on the board. In fact, capt.rich, Screen Name, Dive4Blood, phycokiller, hermes, etc. are all members. Anyone in a West Coast Council Club is a member. I know Screen is brainstorming with some others to get FSDA active in this, so you don't need to worry about them being an ally.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:03 AM   #37
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

The thing we DO need to worry about is the word Diving in an organization name that is fighting for our rights. Putting diving in the forefront will set us up for flack from the hook and line crowd (they call themselves 'fisherman', as though we are not).
The focus needs to be on FISHING RIGHTS. One of those rights is THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE OUR FIHING TACKLE. SPEARGUN = ROD & REEL.
The hook and line crowd won't like this one bit. Their leaders need to be reminded (not necessarily in a public forum) that their tackle requires the killing of fish just for BAIT. Do we, when spearfishing, take a net full of baitfish and bash it against the side of the boat (in order to CRIPPLE the little fish) and then toss the whole load in the water? Do we need 20#'s of frozen, already harvested fish before we leave the dock? Do we stop and net hundreds of small fish on our way out the pass EACH trip?
No. We do not. We will, however, defend the right to do it. It is fishing. High on the list of pursuits of happiness.

Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore spearfishers and anglers. Join us!

Got numbers?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:50 AM   #38
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Denny......I Love You Man! And I generally think you are right on target 99.999% of the time.

But I feel, personally, that we need to promote the idea that

Diving is Right

I see your point, and I think it is good, but I think it needs to be obvious that we are fighting for equal rights for divers. Otherwise, we mix up our message.

However, your other points are excellent.

Just my opinion, bro.
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:10 AM   #39
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

DIVING IS OUR RIGHT
I submit to you for your consideration:
A fishing rights organization that protects the speargun as a tackle choice and diving as a method of harvest.
OR
A spearfishing/diving rights organization that defends the right to spearfish.

I am thinking that the spearfishing thing automatically creates a polarization of opinion among many non-divers, whereas a fishing rights org. that educates about the tackle choice issue might be better-received.
I MAY BE DEAD WRONG. THIS IS MY OPINION BASED ON VARIOUS PIECES OF INFORMATION PRESENTED TO ME.
JOHN SCHMIDT IS ONE OF THE MOST INTELLIGENT PEOPLE I KNOW.

Got numbers?
Old 11-30-2003, 01:13 PM   #40
Ed Walker

Well I have done my share of rod and reeling and can tell you that you're not going to get many of the rod and reelers to back this issue. The only thing that might is to let them know that they are being accused of being part of the reason hogs are "overfished". I think we are going this one alone guys, BUT I think we can do it. We have a very dedicated diverse group of intelligent individuals here from a wide range of fields and most importantly I think we are right. Its definitely not one folks a can afford to ride the fence on however. We need everyone out of our small niche group to helpout, write letters, and SHOW UP AT THE MEETING. We're lucky enough that its not in Tallahasse or somewhere far from here, we need to take advantage of it and pack the house. I have uncovered some very interesting stats that support what we all already know. As I said before if we can pull this off I believe we will garner a new respect for spearfishermen as a group. I suggest everyone read and re-read the report until you know it inside and out and jot down where it is flawed. Later we can all get together and pool our collective findings before we present them. The better educated we are the more they will listen to us.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:13 PM   #41
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote