Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

Beware the F&W "Charter Ticket" Trap...

...They are ticketing again for boat owners who share fuel and trip expenses with friends. Technically, it is against the outdated law to do so. Rather than waste space defining the legal issues, I simply say this...
...The moment they start asking "fishing" questions like, "Are you friends, where are you from, are you sharing costs, etc, it is a prelude to receiving a ticket for illegal chartering of your boat. By law, you cannot receive any type of compensation for the trip...Shitty law but, they are using it to weed out illegal charters (a good thing), as well as entrapping innocent boat owners who share fuel and bait expenses with friends. Not ethical, but, legal..
...The solution is to discuss the issue beforehand with passengers and do it one of two ways....One, is to discuss costs after the trip, allowing you to honestly say, "No," to the sharing question and two, is to, politely, but, flatly, refuse to answer the questions..There is no law requiring you to answer and incriminate yourself... This is yet, another stupid overreaching law to put hands into your pocketbook and make their stat count for the day...Don't help them do it...
...and, don't be dumb enough to deal with the plainclothes guy who walks up at the launch ramp and asks if, "You have any fish for sale"? Fall for that and you deserve a ticket...
...There are squid, wsb, yellowtail and halibut at all the islands, as well as wsb and halibut along all the coast spots (56 lb. halibut caught off Huntington Beach). Bluefin have moved up the line and are just below San Clemente island at present, all the way down the ridge...Bluefin catches have jumped in the last couple of days...lots of 100 pounders out there...Time to head out!!!

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 07-12-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Bob Ballew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Beware the F&W "Charter Ticket" Trap...

And they wonder why people hate cops...a decent cop would refuse to enforce a law like this...but when they do, they deserve to lose the respect and support of the public.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
Pfish

The other side to this argument would be that you have people advertising on Craigslist and other places about 6 packs etc. This is stealing business from the legitimate captains that are out there trying to scratch out a living. I do agree with you to NEVER offer information to the police. "Yes Sir." Yes Mam." "No Sir" " No Mam" go a long way, but NEVER talk to cops. "Sir/Mam, am I free to go?" "Sir/Mam, am I under arrest." LOVE our cops and the job they do, but don't want to talk to them.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:54 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

Most of the old timers are ethical and won't abuse the law...but, some of the young hot dogs will enforce it to a T and not think of the unfairness or stupidity of some laws...Takes about 5 years for the hot dogs to mellow out and use common sense..
Old 07-13-2020, 03:59 AM   #5
PigStikr
The Stalker

'They are ticketing again...'
First thing, pull out the phonecam and shove it right in their face.

"where are you from"
The 'hood man! Then loudly DON'T PUT YOUR KNEE ON MY NECK! I CAN'T BREATH! WHERE IS YOUR MASK? IT'S SIX FEET!

When you get the vid, pls. post it here!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #6
carrasco

Great advise Bob.
I frequently dive on a friend’s boat and I make it a point to remind everyone of the expense incurred by our host and get everyone to pitch-in. Usually, its only like $60 each between 3 people for a Catalina outing. I call that a great deal since just getting to the Island on the Express costs over $100 when you factor in taxes and parking/Uber.
Then there is the cost of renting a junky boat or chartering a fishing boat- both can cost between $300 and $1000 to fish the same areas we are fishing for only $60.
Some of my friend’s fishing buddies have admitted to selling their boats because it is so much cheaper and easier to just go on someone else’s boat. Because they are previous boat owner and understand, they are all too happy to help with trip expenses, washing the boat and even participating in some of the maintenance.
I often take folks on my boat as well and I would feel taken advantage of if no one ever offered to help offset trip expenses.
From now on, every time I go out, whether on my boat or my buddy’s boat, everyone will be aware, “no one is pitching in,” and we all pitch in at the end of the trip.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
Bob Ballew

The Coast Guard is also looking over boats for illegal charters due to the numerous safety issues involved...probably Sheriff's and Harbor Patrol also...February, 2020, the owner of the, "Gato Gordo" was fined $24,501 by the CG for illegal charters...Charters are regulated under federal passenger requirements and civil penalties can range up to $59,000 per day...
...Stories circulating about the estimated 500 lb Bluefin just caught. Weight only estimated due to no scale available that could weigh it...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 07-15-2020 at 11:25 PM.