Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Tournaments > CMAS World Freedive Spearfishing Championship

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
SporaScrub

Re: CMAS World Freedive Spearfishing Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Is he the guy who was disqualified from the SBO for cheating?
He sure is, lots of guys talked a lot of smack about him cheating but obviously his skills show even in a world championship.
SporaScrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporaScrub View Post
He sure is, lots of guys talked a lot of smack about him cheating but obviously his skills show even in a world championship.
In all the discussion, I don't think anyone ever questioned his skills. They said his skills made it all the more inexplicable that he cheated.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: CMAS World Freedive Spearfishing Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Edlund View Post
NC Miguel Gionovar USA -1.330 -4,43%
Dave, as we discussed by phone today, Mojarra must have had a bad first day.

Let us know the second day results when you have them. Thanks, Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

Last edited by SpearMax; 10-25-2008 at 05:03 PM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
SporaScrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
In all the discussion, I don't think anyone ever questioned his skills. They said his skills made it all the more inexplicable that he cheated.
understood
Old 10-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #20
josedesucre

Southafrican Jaco Blignaut was disqualified for keeping his captures in a fish stringer attached to his belt, instead of to his floater or taken them back to his boat. He would have been second, according to the venezuelan website Sportalsub.net. The report also mentions that the Spaniard team had some "technological advantages" over the rest of the field, without further explanations. What were they using? Battery operated fishfinders?
josedesucre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #21
frogman

Whatever the spaniards "technological advantages" were, I think the rest of us will need them. They placed 1,2,3 .
good job for my countryman Sideris who placed 1st (excluding the Spaniards)
Old 10-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #22
oskar

After completion of the second day of the XXVI World Championship of Underwater fishing CMAS, held in Margarita Island, Venezuela, the Spanish Joseba Quereteba was titled World Champion, followed by the Greek Ioannis Sideris and Spanish Pedro Carbonell.
Go Joseba!!!! Go Euskadi!!!!
oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #23
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Excellent and informative post Dave...I heard the weather isn't cooperating lately, surprised to see Mojarra isn't ranking higher.

Quote:
Southafrican Jaco Blignaut was disqualified for keeping his captures in a fish stringer attached to his belt,
I heard same, is this a rule? Are "scouters" able to assist the diver, eg take fish from competitor to boat?
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #24
SporaScrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by josedesucre View Post
Southafrican Jaco Blignaut was disqualified for keeping his captures in a fish stringer attached to his belt, instead of to his floater or taken them back to his boat. He would have been second, according to the venezuelan website Sportalsub.net. The report also mentions that the Spaniard team had some "technological advantages" over the rest of the field, without further explanations. What were they using? Battery operated fishfinders?
The spaniards have been scouting the area for almost a year. Compared to other teams that only have a couple of weeks or month of scouting if there lucky.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #25
element

Quote:
The Spaniards have been scouting the area for almost a year.
Wow, thats dedication.
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
Dave Edlund

Here are the final results for the CMAS World Spearfishing Championships that just finished in Venezuela. Out of 21 National teams, the USA men's team finished 8th place in this 2 day competition. Our top finishing diver, Harolf Dean finished 10th overall! That is the highest place by an American in many years. In the last 10 years, the only other American to break the top 15 that I am aware of was Andrew Geist in Tahiti.

Here is the web address for the results:

http://mundialpescasub2008cmas.fvas.com.ve/

What makes it tough for Americans to crack the top 10 is that the top teams, the Spanish, Italians, etc. have the financial resources to scout in the tournament area ( in man hours) for 5 and more likely 10 times what the USA team can afford. We go and work 2-3 weeks with a team of say 5 divers. Some of these other teams go with a team of 8-10 divers for 2-4+ full months. And since scouting (finding fishy areas) is the key ingredient to success, we have a great disadvantage.

I have not talked to the team yet, so I do not have any stories yet to tell, but I will once the team is back home. I will then announce the location of the 2010 Worlds.

Best Regards,

Dave Edlund

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln
Dave Edlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #27
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

thx for the update

Quote:
We go and work 2-3 weeks with a team of say 5 divers. Some of these other teams go with a team of 8-10 divers for 2-4+ full months
I've always said we work waaaay too much in the States, what do they say, the average Europeans work week is 25 hours (or something like that), with over a month paid vacation time...indeed Harolfs standing is a feat
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #28
spaghetti

Talking Re: CMAS World Freedive Spearfishing Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsteel View Post
thx for the update

I've always said we work waaaay too much in the States, what do they say, the average Europeans work week is 25 hours (or something like that), with over a month paid vacation time...indeed Harolfs standing is a feat
hehe. No Tone we work much more than that. But our 3 italian team members have a waaaay big lot of time for diving indeed in their real lives: Maurizio, the guy who ranked 4th, is a self employed salesman of wetsuits (and of course he's got to test the wetsuits before selling... ...), while Bruno who ranked 9th place is a rescue diver for the Fire Dept. (and you always give a peek underwater to check if someone eventually needs to be rescued ), and Stefano (17th) works with his wife as a seafood restaurant owner: "Honey, if you need some more fish for the kitchen..."
spaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
Dave Edlund

Settingsteel asked about the role of the scout. Each team can have an unlimited number of scouts before the tournament. You just need the financial resources to get them half way around the world in some cases. During the actual 2 day tournament, each one of the three team divers has his own boat. It has an assigned local boat driver, a CMAS appointed official who looks for rule breaking (who also bags the fish) and a boat helper who is typically a scout who stays in the boat, but assists the diver in the water. The boat helper may hand spearguns to the diver in the water and stuff of that nature.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln
Dave Edlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #30
spaghetti

True that the Spanish is the richest team under this aspect. I don't know anything of their preparation for Venezuela 2008 WC, but 3 years ago at the European Champs the spanish had sent 18 divers (on scuba too) to scout the comp field for two straight weeks, taking land marks and Gps points of every grouper hole, sargo hole, eels and meagres miles around. It's very hard to beat them this way. I think they're the most skilled ones too, but they throw in so much money and scout time that no one can match.
spaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote