Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 10-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
TSD

Moving to Hawaii, need gear recommendations

Hey everyone,

I'm moving to the Big Island for 6 months to do conservation work, and I'm looking for pole spear recommendations/feedback. I'm a novice, but I have a little experience from a previous stay where I caught mostly triggers, surgeonfish, flounder, and goat fish. I won't be scuba diving, and will probably stay around the shore in depths around 20ft or less, but I'd also like to try to get better and catch some larger fish. What kind of pole spears and what lengths do people prefer to use? I was looking into Gat ku, Lance O'hara, Linghunt, JBL, and Seahorse so far, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'd also love to meet/hunt with anyone interested in that sort of thing.

Thanks!
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
Panunu
Kody Panui

Re: Moving to Hawaii, need gear recommendations

Hey TSD,

I'm from Kauai so don't know too much about Big Island diving scene. But, for reefs a 7 foot three prong is the most common length used, that I have seen. The black graphite three prongs from Wal-mart are work horses and they're only about $70. I personally have used them for years and the only thing you have to do is use some dyneema or string and electrical tape to make a nice grip. If your budget allows, yookoji and gatku make nice pole spears with all the bells and whistles.

Good luck and have fun,
Kody
Panunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
Panunu
Kody Panui

Almost forgot, Welcome to the Board!
Old 10-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #4
TSD

Thanks! I understand that light and fast is generally desired in Hawaii due to the skittish nature of the fish. 7ft-9ft seems like the most common length. I think I used a 5'-6' spear several years ago in my first efforts, and I remember wishing I had something longer at the time. Any thoughts on Sea Horse vs Kawabanga vs Gatku vs other spears? I was leaning towards a travel style that disassembles into sections if I could find a good one.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
Panunu
Kody Panui

Shorter spears like the 5 foot are great for night diving and tight spaces so they definitely have their place, just not when you see a big ol kumu in the day time
Now, when it comes to buying something that costs a pretty penny I like to get close to the best on the first go, mostly because I have been burned one to many times by budget buys. As far as this goes, the Gatku name has a nice ring to it, strong, dependable and easy on the eyes. Plus, the 8 footer can break down nicely. In the end though, go with your heart, it's usually right.

Kody
Old 10-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #6
SurfNHuntSD

7 footer Kawabunga hapa for me. Got it at J Hara maybe 12 yrs ago and still have it today. Worth your money.
SurfNHuntSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
TSD

Alright, thanks. I'm leaning more towards sectioned "travel" models, but I'll take a look at those when I arrive.

Anyone on the Big Island have some tips for spearing Roi? I would like to try to kill off as many of these invasive fish as I can while I am there. I might have to buy a gun if it is significantly easier for Roi.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
SurfNHuntSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD View Post
Alright, thanks. I'm leaning more towards sectioned "travel" models, but I'll take a look at those when I arrive.

Anyone on the Big Island have some tips for spearing Roi? I would like to try to kill off as many of these invasive fish as I can while I am there. I might have to buy a gun if it is significantly easier for Roi.
TSD,
In the areas I used to dive, roi were pretty easy to shoot if u wanted em, since they're not pressured much. Gun is good but u can 3 prong em too. They're slow and sorta lumber from hole to hole and cruise the caves and reef overhangs. If u see one dip into a cave, drop down near the opening and go still. I've seen dumb ones that'll poke their head out for a shot.
SurfNHuntSD is offline   Reply With Quote