Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
nivekerotavlas

Fish Stringer advice (First Scuba Spearfishing dive)

Last week I did an exploration shore dive on an artificial reef in about 25ft of water at max depth. Tide was slack then incoming and visibility was about 6ft-10ft. Went through two tanks. Overall it was a good dive and saw plenty of marine life.

First dive was without my gun because I was with a guide who wouldn't let me take my gun until I demonstrated I wasn't an idiot then the second I was allowed to get in with my gun.

I was not expecting to get in with my gun and I did not have a stringer so I was mainly gunning for grouper. Unfortunately I learned pretty quickly that grouper are smart and definitely act different when you have a speargun in hand.

However I could not believe the amount of large sheepshead and mangrove snapper I saw that were swimming up to me and was completely bummed out I didn't have a stringer with me.

Then I realized that I don't really know how to operate with a stringer staying submerged as I come from a freediving spearing background. Should I hook the stringer to the base of my dive buoy and safely ascend to string fish there? or should I just work quickly and keep the stringer in my hand? I'm weary about attaching the stringer to my side due to the possibility of the tax man coming and taking more than just fish off my side. ( Though if I'm told here to do that I will take your advice because I have no prior experience to base off of)

I'm going out again in the next few days and I'm looking to bring home a full stringer of fish. Any advice will help and I know I can find it here as I ghost read here everyday! Thanks in advance
nivekerotavlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Re: Fish Stringer advice (First Scuba Spearfishing dive)

When scuba spearing, I have a double-ended brass spring clip that I use to clip my stringer to the D-ring that hangs off the bottom of my B/C near my right hip. I usually leave it clipped on during the whole dive. I don't remove it to put fish on.

I ain't afraid of no sharks!

A lot of the pros carry the stringer in their hand, and just throw it down if they need both hands. The fish they shoot are too big to clip to their sides, anyways

Check out the videos in this thread: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=195056
Old 10-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

If you don't have a stringer yet, get one where the point sticks 6" or so past the clip. This allows you to stab the fish onto the stringer BEFORE you open the stringer. This prevents undead fish you previously strung from swimming away when you open up the stringer.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
SEATUX

The picture he posted is a good stringer, not only is the point longer than where it clips, but the corner is "captured" which where you want to clip the spring clip fastener, so it doesn't roll/slide/slip around the stringer. I use a double ended spring clip also, but instead of the D ring on my BC I have it on the bottom front of my weight belt. The reason being I can pull the buckle on the belt and be free of the stringer and belt. I have had strung fish get into a crack and wedge themselves, you cant always get enough slack to work the spring clip, but you can always drop your weight belt.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
CuzzA

Yep, "one handed stringer" is the way to go.

I used to bolt snap my stringer to my left hip d ring, but stopped that practice due to sharks and goliaths. Instead I hold it. It takes some skill development to juggle a gun and stringer, but it gets easier with practice.

If I were going to clip it off I don't think I would use a metal connector and instead would use a thick o-ring or even a typical webbing quick connect. This way if something big, like a 500 pound goliath grabbed my fish and stringer, the o-ring would break or I could release the clip so you don't go for a ride... Easier to line up your next shot to get your fish back.

I highly recommend watching this video. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/barebones/6756973

It's well worth the $17.00 and I'm almost certain the instructional video illustrates the one handed stringer, among other priceless tips.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
grey2112

I use a stringer similar to the one pictured. Attached point down on my BC pretty high up, on a lanyard - this one:

https://www.makospearguns.com/Consta...-p/mcccl.2.htm

This way I can keep it connected and unclip the plastic buckle part and play out the bungee if I need more manueverability.

In over 600 dives I've never had a shark or goliath try to nab my stringer - perhaps because of how close it is to my body, but also I keep aware of my surroundings and if there are sharks or goliaths around I then detach the stringer and hold on to it.

I also kill my fish with my knife after stringing.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
sharpshooter

Thru the years. i have found that especially red grouper after being shot and not dead. Tend to start grunting which is like a dinner bell to CG's and sharks. Try to dispatch all your strung fish with a dagger style knife or kill spike. Some guys even use a Phillips head screw driver with a grinded sharp point with a pvc tube sheath.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #8
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Thru the years. i have found that especially red grouper after being shot and not dead. Tend to start grunting which is like a dinner bell to CG's and sharks. Try to dispatch all your strung fish with a dagger style knife or kill spike. Some guys even use a Phillips head screw driver with a grinded sharp point with a pvc tube sheath.
This also is a great way of increasing the taste/quality of the fish. Quick dispatch, and then when you get to the boat bleed them in a bucket of salt water for 5-10 minutes, then immediately on ice/slurry.

The Japanese do this with their sushi-grade fish and it is why it always tastes much better.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
nivekerotavlas

I appreciate everyone's advice, I will let you all know how my hunt tomorrow morning goes
nivekerotavlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Whelp, it took these incidents for me to learn...

I had my stringer clipped on my weight belt. It had hogs and grouper attached. I was swimming along the sand looking under the natural reef...a few feet above the sand. A big ass nurse shark swam underneath me to grab my fish and started to shake violently, ripping my stringer off. His accomplice was right behind him. They both made a sand storm...eating my take while I tried to poke them off my catch. I was left with one hogfish with a bite out of it.
Not too long later I went diving on a ledge that had an undercut. Whelp, I had fish on stringer clipped to my side, flashlight on, DEEP in this undercut looking for some grouper. My backside was undefendable. My body was deep into this undercut with all my gear on...shit then goes CRAZY on my backside due to the stringer. It actually turned out to be a big gag on the stringer getting his second wind but could've easily been a shark. I do brain my fish, btw.
What was I thinking at the time? Would you like that to happen to you?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #11
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
....It actually turned out to be a big gag on the stringer getting his second wind but could've easily been a shark. I do brain my fish, btw.....
LOL, could you still see light from as far back as you crawled?