Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #106
mepps1

Re: Brexit

Fitz just makes friends in strange ways.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #107
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Artiz, to tell you the truth, he speaks rather cryptic. I have a little problem understanding what he's saying some times. It makes it all the more interesting, IMO. Just like yourself.
Mepps it right, I think he likes you.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #108
fitz

I may have roots with the Welsh, but make no mistake, liberty no longer rests with the Welsh.
Straight up!
Google translate that.

Last edited by fitz; 07-13-2016 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling
fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #109
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~ Hey Artiz, my family is Catholic Irish American, so I genuinely understand all references to 'Belfast'.
I was born in 1948, in N.Y. and my grandparents were fairly close to the 'disruptive' activity surrounding England's invasive behavior.
Losing those six counties on the North coastline really is unforgivable.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #110
fitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
Fitz just makes friends in strange ways.
Make no mistake, the Wanker is not my friend. He can kiss my confederate a$$.
fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #111
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshaft View Post
~ Hey Artiz, my family is Catholic Irish American, so I genuinely understand all references to 'Belfast'.
I was born in 1948, in N.Y. and my grandparents were fairly close to the 'disruptive' activity surrounding England's invasive behavior.
Losing those six counties on the North coastline really is unforgivable.
Word is that they won't be 'lost' for much longer... I reckon leaving the EU will actually speed the process up... they'll never be able to enforce a European border across Ireland... it has been coming for many years of course but now they're actually talking about 2... and without a shot being fired... a united Ireland from Brexit... now wouldn't that be cool?

Last edited by artiz; 07-13-2016 at 11:14 PM.
artiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:58 PM   #112
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz View Post
Make no mistake, the Wanker is not my friend. He can kiss my confederate a$$.
Give it a rest fitz you twunt!

Last edited by artiz; 07-13-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 PM   #113
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
a. Central W coast of FL all my life.
Do you see many sharks around there?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:50 PM   #114
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiz View Post
Do you see many sharks around there?
Depends on how good the visibility is. Funny thing is that I cut my teeth diving the major inlets like Tampa bay that are known for shark breeding grounds. I've never seen a shark in those areas even though they're known for hammerheads biting Tarpon into.
Then again, diving offshore where the vis is good, I've had to poke sharks off me in order to secure my catch.
The sharkiness depends upon where you dive, it seems. Well known spots that attract divers in which they give up their catch at the glimpse of a shark is a big factor, IMO. It's just like feeding the bears. IMO, don't do it unless it's the last resort than gtf out of there. As always, the size, kind, and aggressiveness are big factors. I understand that nurse sharks create the most incidents of bites on divers.IMO, they not given enough respect.
I've had a couple big ones rip my grouper and hogs off my stringer clipped to my belt. Last time I carried my fish on a clip. I poked the shit out of them and they wouldn't get off my fish. Curiously, the left me my Hogs w/ just a bite out of them...Groupers heads the rest.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”

Last edited by Marcus; 07-14-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:06 AM   #115
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Depends on how good the visibility is. Funny thing is that I cut my teeth diving the major inlets like Tampa bay that are known for shark breeding grounds. I've never seen a shark in those areas even though they're known for hammerheads biting Tarpon into.
Then again, diving offshore where the vis is good, I've had to poke sharks off me in order to secure my catch.
The sharkiness depends upon where you dive, it seems. Well known spots that attract divers in which they give up their catch at the glimpse of a shark is a big factor, IMO. It's just like feeding the bears. Don't do it.
We get a lot of big Basking Sharks over here... gentle giants... but not too much else... although I have seen the Ocean floor move once... size of a big silver/grey rowing boat 15 ft beneath me... looked much like a white but was more probably a Porbeagle... I have to admit a little bit of piss did come out as I jettisoned myself to the safety of the closest rock... deffo not used to seeing stuff like that, so I do have sympathy with the fear. I look forward to getting a bit more experience with that in the future.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #116
artiz

On balance... and with a few weeks to mull it over I'm beginning to think (with the help from some of you blokes here) that our exit from the EU is eventually going to be a good thing.
It certainly has the potential for upheaval and strife if people aren't prepared to compromise though... but nothing new there.
Out of all the potentialities the EU regulation of UK fisheries is probably the one closest to home for me personally... and especially so due to my conviction that under water hunter/gathering is a way of life rather than just another sport or Ocean based leisure activity. The EU has exponentially invested in marine science over the last 10 years with a current yearly spend of around 2 Billion Euros. Justification/results/knee-jerk regulation required... most definitely.
This year for the first time in history as a 'citizen of Europe' I have been told that I am no longer allowed to go to the coast and catch (European) Bass until the 1st July... and then through until the end of this year I can only catch and keep 1 a day with the warning that I will be fined up to £50,000 if I break this new law... in the meantime they have also increased the European wide commercial gill net catching quota by 30% for Bass... bizarre to say the least... in 2017 the EU recommendation is zero Bass catch.
What fish have I mostly and selectively hunted over the last 40 years... you've guessed it... Bass.
As always though it is a confusing picture... do I have sympathy with the UK's depleted fishing fleet?... yes of course... but with the employees and their families not the larger fleet owners who are only interested in profit. Do I want the Bass population protected?... yes of course... but from the big commercial fishing fleets which clearly do the most damage... where do most of the big commercial fishing fleets come from?... France and Spain (+ other EU countries)... and so on and on goes the added layers of ever increasing complexity of interests.
Only real way forward being that we dispense with this complexity by removing all that very expensive and divisive bureaucracy... start by leaving the EU... job's a goodun... followed by the continued (but now using a quicker and more permanent process) devolution of governance regarding the United Kingdom... sounds promising to me!

If I am forced to do/not to do anything by anybody I would much prefer to be told this by another local/Welsh person who I can then at least approach and put my/our interests too my local regulatory/legislative body safe in the knowledge that I am approaching the most appropriate authority... local representation for local interests etc... governed by locally elected/appointed experts who present and administer wider regional/international/environmental/commercial concerns... seems the only realistic way forward to me.... and you can a call it what you like as far as most people are concerned... independence - devolution - decentralization... who really cares.

Will it actually happen though is the big question... being the cynic that I am... I very much doubt it... hope being much overrated in my experience.

Last edited by artiz; 07-14-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #117
Marcus

Godfrey Bloom: "Get Ready For A Fake Brexit That Will Fool No One"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=hYzX3YZoMrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
Old 09-04-2018, 01:22 AM   #118
mepps1

Right on. The Welfare State is what makes immigration toxic.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #119
Marcus

The globalists are trying to subvert the will of the people.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uKauP_1536844894