Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
rhyne

Orca encounter off the Coronado Islands/San Diego...

This past Saturday We were running an offshore fishing charter and stumbled upon a pod of Orca's about 8 miles west of the Coronado Islands. Man, what an epic encounter!!! it lasted about an hour and a half. slow/stopped speeds and then they played in our wake at about 12-14knts... doing barrel rolls, surfing with their tails up and just pullin stunts sometimes as close as 3-5ft off the back of the boat. Here's the CBS news story on it...

http://www.cbs8.com/story/39062055/w...an-diego-coast

and there's more footage on our Facebook and Instagram page... check em out... BRINK Expeditions.
https://www.facebook.com/BrinExpeditions/?ref=bookmarks

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Re: Orca encounter off the Coronado Islands/San Diego...

I had no idea it was 90 minutes. That is a truly an amazing experience. Anybody jump in to have a look?
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Pfish

Cool. Only seen orcas once in LA Bay. Complete surprise as we pulled our daughters close to them on a tubby, once they saw the dorsal fin, things changed.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
rhyne

i will forever regret not jumping in with them! i had a boat full of H&L customers onboard and a deckhand that was like, no way dude! how will we get home if they eat you. their behavior seemed totally playful and curious... aside from the big one eating the sealion of course ... but really, i grabbed my mask and was starting to take off my clothes when it sank in that it just wasn't the right thing to do.

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
slodiver

"Anybody jump in to have a look?"

I would be more scared of a pod of orca than a gw. At least the shark is doing it for food, hits you once and waits for you to bleed while you have a chance to escape. I've seen too many videos of orca killing for the hunt and not eating their kill and when they do it it they tenderize them with what seems to be the worst death imaginable. It's an arguable opinion but I will stand by it until I see someone make an honest attempt at training a gw. I'm sure I would quickly adjust my thinking if I had a serious encounter with either.
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodiver View Post
"Anybody jump in to have a look?"

I would be more scared of a pod of orca than a gw. At least the shark is doing it for food, hits you once and waits for you to bleed while you have a chance to escape. I've seen too many videos of orca killing for the hunt and not eating their kill and when they do it it they tenderize them with what seems to be the worst death imaginable. It's an arguable opinion but I will stand by it until I see someone make an honest attempt at training a gw. I'm sure I would quickly adjust my thinking if I had a serious encounter with either.

LOL. Point well taken. I jumped in on a pod in Indonesia two years ago. They were not curious at all and would not get close but I figured, "If this is what kills me, I am ok with it".
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote