Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
bcclar1

Need help - Vintage Dacor Stingray 7300 - Overhaul

Let me preface, I have never gone spearfishing, I have never fired a speargun, I don't even know how to load one. I really, really, really WANT TO though.

With that being said, anyone who reads this then will comment knowing what type of noob they are dealing with.

I found this Dacor Stingray 7300 at a yard sale for $5 here in Kentucky. With that being said, here are the questions I have (and there are probably other questions I don't even know to ask).

- Is it worth anything?

- Is it worth purchasing new parts for?

- It looks like from the research Ive done, all I need are slings/bands (which is the preferred term there) and a new shock line. The shaft connects/latches into the handle/release very well. When pulling the trigger, form what I can tell, it feels like it operates properly.

- From the size, I assume this is a gun for flounder or other similar sized fish.

- Finally, incredibly stupid/noob question (remember, I am a scuba diver in the state of Kentucky who found a speargun for $5 at a yard sale)...how do the slings/bands work? I assume from what I've seen online, I load the bands into the front, round, section (whatever you call that...maybe the mount?). Then, I stretch the slings/bands back and loop them into the cutout in the shaft right?

I appreciate any and all information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34392-image-27.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	218112   Click image for larger version

Name:	34392-image-28.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	218113   Click image for larger version

Name:	34392-image-3.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	218114   Click image for larger version

Name:	34392-image-2.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	218115   Click image for larger version

Name:	34392-image.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	218116  

bcclar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
bcclar1

Re: Need help - Vintage Dacor Stingray 7300 - Overhaul

Thanks a ton! Every bit of information I can get helps. Trying to go and find youtube posts, or old forum posts just wasn't working. I'll probably hop on Leisure Pro today and get some bands. I'm assuming bands are based on the length of the gun?
bcclar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
SEATUX

Really!

31 views (and not only no comments) but no welcomes the new member on his very first post ? !

Welcome to Spearboard bcclar1

In your 2nd picture it appears that the notches on the shaft are pointing down toward the barrel of the gun. That cant be right, they need to be pointing up, so you can hook the bands onto it.
The last picture is where the bands go thru the muzzle, the wishbone or cord on the band lays on top of the spear shaft and hooks into those notches ( 2nd picture) when you have stretched it back far enough.
The cord should be attached to the muzzle and the spear shaft slider at this point (last picture), and the looped end is pulled back to the "clothespin" looking projection right in front of the trigger, and below the barrel ( second picture) that is your "line release".

Hopefully some others on this board will give you some feed back also.
Stop by you local dive shop and get acquainted, they will be able to help you on many fronts! Good people to know.

On another note, fill out your profile so others know what area you live in, how old you are etc, that will help you in the short and long run.

Good luck, be safe, have fun.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
SEATUX

Well I confused that!
I deleted my post to add the comment about filling out your profile, and you beat me to my re-post!
Anyway..
Before you go to an online dive supply, go to your local dive shop, they will help you more!

And don't forget to fill out your profile!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
popgun pete

That gun is a rebadged version of a gun from Beuchat in France, their "Cavalero" model. Beuchat merged with or acquired Cavalero and continued making guns from both companies. They also made a cocking stock tube gun for Dacor based on the Cavalero "Canon", in fact they are still available. The nameplates in the moulds were changed to show Dacor on the guns which were produced for them.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
SEATUX

What year do you suppose that gun is Pete?
I'm guessing late 70's?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Markio
Shoot to eat

It looks like a small gun.
For the trouble of getting/making new parts and safety concerns as it relates to the trigger mech, I feel you should consider getting a modern gun.
They are all over craigslist at a reasonable price.
Or take it to a shop for someone to look at it in person.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #8
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
What year do you suppose that gun is Pete?
I'm guessing late 70's?
Seventies into the eighties, the gun is still being listed in the 1987 Dacor catalogue. An economy model with a simple construction, most European manufacturers offered similar guns as their entry level models.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote