Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Everdai

Kayak Spearing Fort Lauderdale - help me out?

hey all, i've been out of spearing for a few years nwo - used to dive in So Cal, just moved to south fl and got a kayak to spear off of.

I've been reading through regs before I go out and want to know where i cannot spearfish?

In So Cal there were very detailed maps of marine sanctuaries so there was never any question as to whether or not I was in a protected area.

Here the regs just read, "In or on any body of water under the jurisdiction
of the Division of Recreation and Parks of the Department of Environmental Protection" I can't spearfish or have gear.
But where are these areas? how are the boundaries delineated?

Anyone have any maps of the areas?

Also, can we spearfish on the artificial reefs here?

Finally, any suggestions as to where to go? I'm looking for relatively shallow spots - 25' or less within kayaking distance of the shore.

thanks in advance for your help!
Everdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
ScubaP

Cool Re: Kayak Spearing Fort Lauderdale - help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdai View Post
hey all, i've been out of spearing for a few years nwo - used to dive in So Cal, just moved to south fl and got a kayak to spear off of.

I've been reading through regs before I go out and want to know where i cannot spearfish?

In So Cal there were very detailed maps of marine sanctuaries so there was never any question as to whether or not I was in a protected area.

Here the regs just read, "In or on any body of water under the jurisdiction
of the Division of Recreation and Parks of the Department of Environmental Protection" I can't spearfish or have gear.
But where are these areas? how are the boundaries delineated?

Anyone have any maps of the areas?

Also, can we spearfish on the artificial reefs here?

Finally, any suggestions as to where to go? I'm looking for relatively shallow spots - 25' or less within kayaking distance of the shore.

thanks in advance for your help!
Ok for the most part you have to be at least 100yards off the beach or “swimming area to legally spearfish. For example I know of an awesome spot and it’s off the lauderdale by the sea beach or Aka the Oakland ridges. It’s 4 reefs separated by a sandy medium. The first reef is about 50-60yarrds of the coast and extends for about 40-50yards into the ocean and after that are the next reefs. I honestly don’t think a kayak is necessary for those spots and would probably hinder you. But the 4th reef which usually includes most of lobsters might be easy to get to if you had a kayak. The depth for the Oakland ridges won’t usually go past 25ft and is great spearing for about 1.5miles along the coast. I know of the good spots so if you ever trying to get a dive in I’m always down.
ScubaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:07 AM   #3
Trautfel

Re: Kayak Spearing Fort Lauderdale - help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaP View Post
Ok for the most part you have to be at least 100yards off the beach or “swimming area to legally spearfish. For example I know of an awesome spot and it’s off the lauderdale by the sea beach or Aka the Oakland ridges. It’s 4 reefs separated by a sandy medium. The first reef is about 50-60yarrds of the coast and extends for about 40-50yards into the ocean and after that are the next reefs. I honestly don’t think a kayak is necessary for those spots and would probably hinder you. But the 4th reef which usually includes most of lobsters might be easy to get to if you had a kayak. The depth for the Oakland ridges won’t usually go past 25ft and is great spearing for about 1.5miles along the coast. I know of the good spots so if you ever trying to get a dive in I’m always down.
Im in Ft Lauderdale for vacation until July 22 and brought my freediving gear / polespear with me and Im available to go out anytime. Im staying close to Oakland ridge/reef and would be interested to go for a shore or boat dive.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Trautfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
ScubaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trautfel View Post
Im in Ft Lauderdale for vacation until July 22 and brought my freediving gear / polespear with me and Im available to go out anytime. Im staying close to Oakland ridge/reef and would be interested to go for a shore or boat dive.

Would you be cool with an early morning dive like be at the spot at 6:30-7am this week possibly?
ScubaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Trautfel

Quote:
Would you be cool with an early morning dive like be at the spot at 6:30-7am this week possibly?
Sounds good. Im available tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Trautfel

Quote:
Sent you a pm. Let me know if you are still interested in getting out there. Re. Oakland ridges....besides the flag do you need a float or a kayak to get out to the third and forth ridge or can you just swim there? Is current an issue out there? Does anyone know a good place in ft lauderdale to rent a kayak to use as a diving platform for 1 to 2 weeks?

Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

The law reads "Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed." Some guys like to extrapolate this rule to include all beach and shoreline unnecessarily limiting themselves. I like to legally spear areas that others mistakenly believe they can't spearfish.

Many guys also mistakenly think that you cannot spearfish under any bridges at all where the law clearly states that you may not spear "Within 100 yards of any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed." Many bridges dont allow fishing and those are legal to spear.

These are general florida rules some counties and cities have additional restrictions.

follow this link and click th local laws tab and search for your area.
http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/r...es-by-species/
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
akumaet

So I just moved back to Fl and am now in the PSL area / Treasure Coast and if I wanted to go out say at Pepper Park I would have to go out 100 yards from where the water meets the sand or is it so other imaginary boundary? Also does anyone know what makes it a public beach / bathing area? Not trying to hijack just trying to understand and see what others are doing.
akumaet is offline   Reply With Quote