Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Coos-spearo

Size 13EE foot, Pathos vs. Omer Pockets

This is for the size 12-13 EE foot crowd.

I recently received a pair of Pathos 48-50 pockets and had a set of Omer 47-48 pair of pockets and I will compare and contrast the two. I tried on both set of pockets with a size XL ARGOS 4mm sock. Now unfortunately, I am between the XL and XXL in Argos socks and I remedied that by stretching a pair of XL socks out so they would fit without any material bunching at the toe.

Omer 47/48: In this pocket I have plenty of room in the toe area. The width of the pocket is maxed out at the ball of the foot and the heel is a bit loose. For me this is ideal. It allows me to wear fin keepers through the shore break. When I want to easily remove the fins, I pop the fin keepers and there is enough room in the heel I can easily pop it off. Overall this is a very roomy and comfortable pocket. I did apply heat to it to see what would happen and the pocket did become more comfortable.

Pathos 48/50 hard: This pocket was tighter all the way around. Almost to the point of being uncomfortable. The toe box is tighter than the Omer. Across the ball of the foot it feels as if both pockets are the same width. The heel is much narrower than the Omer pockets. If I dove barefoot this would be the perfect foot pocket for me. With the 4mm sock on everything is snug. So I applied heat and the pocket started to accommodate my foot. If I use the pocket I will dip it into freshly boiled water before I stick my foot and sock in. With work and silicone I feel it will fit perfectly. However, I would never need to use the fin keepers.

Over all, Omer size 47/48 is slightly bigger in the toe box, and much bigger in the heel than the Pathos size 48/50. The width at the ball of the foot is very similar with both sets of pockets. The Omer heel can easily be overcome with fin keepers. The toe box of the Pathos can be overcome with heat and patience. The Pathos are lighter and sexier. The Omer have tabs on the back and are easier to get out of, plus you can change blades easily. I hope this helps those 'big feet big meat' dudes who are struggling to find a good fit. If you want a bigger pocket yet, I know both Omer and Mako have another size up completely.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
parker

Re: Size 13EE foot, Pathos vs. Omer Pockets

The great thing about pathos foot pockets is you can custom mold them for your feet.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
brandon cadalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker View Post
The great thing about pathos foot pockets is you can custom mold them for your feet.

Unfortunately they just don’t handle wide feet well. My buddy had the same problem and even ordered a size to big and still had issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
Coos-spearo

I recently dipped a Rob Allen belt, in a bowl in which I poured boiling water. I was able to get rid of the memory from the belt. The Rob Allen belt is 3-4 mm thick and was easy to reshape. I think all plastics (I do not know about rubber) can be custom fit if you can safely supply the heat. Even my Omer pockets reshaped a bit with the hair dryer.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
Matt Hudson

I never cared for the stiff tendons on my stingrays. They're extremely comfortable foot pockets though.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
brandon cadalzo

You may want to try the mako pockets. Aside from pathos they are the most comfortable I’ve worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hudson View Post
I never cared for the stiff tendons on my stingrays. They're extremely comfortable foot pockets though.
Don’t be afraid to cut the tendons short if you’re using quality carbon blades. I first did that a few years ago with Mares pockets and Moana Hybrid blades and was VERY pleased with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADEBF8DE-D67D-4486-8B13-3A011A102A08.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	237608  
parker is offline   Reply With Quote