Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Jason7654

Shore diving help (FLL)

I've been shore diving a little while without much luck. I find lobsters sometimes, but I'm having a hard time finding fish to shoot at. Right now I'm diving in the Oakland park to Lauderdale by the Sea area. How far out do you need to go do to find fish in this area? The reefs I usually frequent are about a quarter mile out. There's lots of life, and I've seen a couple fish to shoot at, but it's very rare. Do I need to go farther out than that?

Also, is midday a bad time to go? Do I need to aim for sunrise or sunsets?
Jason7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
jadairiii

Re: Shore diving help (FLL)

Couple of things. One is, "shootable" fish off the 1st reef are few and far between. I have been free diving these areas for years and it is rare to really see any fish that I would be proud to show off. I haven't taken a gun off the beach for ever. But I have seem some respectable hogs in the winter.

That said, I would check out the twin ledge area, (you can see it on google earth) it is the reef beyond the end of the first reef off Oakland, about a 5 min swim due east over sand. As to time of day, fish feed early morning and late afternoon so that to me would be the best time. I also don't like being that far offshore, swimming, with all the midafternoon drunk boaters.

Early summer in the morning you can see some game fish swimming inside the first reef, tarpon, mackerel, and the such. Follow the fish.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
Jason7654

Thanks jadairiii! I agree, the first reef has very little life. I've never seen hogs there, but you can't shoot hogs in the winter anymore anyway. Every once in a while I will see what I think is a mutton there, but they are fast and stay far away.

The area I've been drifting is what you are calling the twin ledge. Why do they call it that? Maybe I need to try mornings, because I've been doing late afternoon. I see a fish here and there, but not a lot. I guess I'll keep trying if you say that's a good area.

I hear there is a ledge (bigger?) that is further out, probably about a half mile. Is it worth trying to swim out that far?
Jason7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
Captain SOGO
SOGO spearfishing

get yourself a kayak or a RIB and hit the 2nd and 3rd line. There are still a few fish out there. Just put the time in and you will see some.
Captain SOGO is offline   Reply With Quote