Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
SDspearo09

Angry AHH!! How do I know how big a Halibut is when it's burried!!!!!

Today I was spearfishing in SoCal and came across a halibut. Of course I could only see its face. It look like about a 15 incher, way to short to keep. I then took my speargun (with the safety on) and poked it to watch it swim off. As it shook the sand off of itself I realized that it was actually wayyyy legal. I tried to get the safety off as fast as possible but it was gone. I will you you one day you dirty bastard!!!
SDspearo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Everdai

Re: AHH!! How do I know how big a Halibut is when it's burried!!!!!

PM Michael ('o Cino). He has techniques for solid estimates on buried hali size.
EDIT:
Not to mention an endless supply of other invaluable pieces of spearing knowledge, you should ask him what his favorite brew is, how he likes his lawn maintained and boat cleaned while you're at it... You never know what you may learn!
Everdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
Seaholic
To blend with the blue

First step is take your safety off so that way you never have to rely on something that can fail

Richard Balta

Spear America
Seaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
SDspearo09

everdai: who should I pm?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
Everdai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDspearo09 View Post
everdai: who should I pm?
'o Cino
Everdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
Ethan kills
OG Troll

The more you see them, the more you will be able to gauge size by the jawline, space between the eye's, tail size etc. I like to look at the tail if I can see it.
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
zeN

Sorry,
I have to disagree on the safety,
If your safety isn't working then your gun is not operational,
I'm not big on safeties on weapons (as today we are safety maniacs in everything in society), but pertaining to spearguns with other people in the water, all the multitasking, and the environment (water, lack of control/orientation at times, snagged in lines, and the exponential danger of an injury while in the water) the only reason a safety should be off is when you are ready to shoot or in imminent danger
zeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
SDspearo09

everdai can you send me a link to his page or something, I can't find him. thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #9
Mobius1
ADCI Diver

Send a message via AIM to Mobius1 Send a message via Yahoo to Mobius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeN View Post
Sorry,
I have to disagree on the safety,
If your safety isn't working then your gun is not operational,
I'm not big on safeties on weapons (as today we are safety maniacs in everything in society), but pertaining to spearguns with other people in the water, all the multitasking, and the environment (water, lack of control/orientation at times, snagged in lines, and the exponential danger of an injury while in the water) the only reason a safety should be off is when you are ready to shoot or in imminent danger

yeah i never use safeties ever since i had a fire arm where when you turned the safety off the firearm would discharge

the only safety you can trust is your trigger finger just keep that finger off the trigger outside the trigger guard unless you intend to kill whatever the gun is pointing at.. rough conditions are no excuse to get sloppy with how one handles their weapon if somone cant control their firearm they have no business being in the water while the conditions are too rough for them to be in control.

im not trying to be a douche just relaying my experiences
Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #10
Spearforfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDspearo09 View Post
everdai can you send me a link to his page or something, I can't find him. thanks
Check out the San Diego Freedivers BWM thread near the top of the page. Look for 'O Cino a couple posts down and click on the name to send PM.
Spearforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #11
Spearforfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
yeah i never use safeties ever since i had a fire arm where when you turned the safety off the firearm would discharge

the only safety you can trust is your trigger finger just keep that finger off the trigger outside the trigger guard unless you intend to kill whatever the gun is pointing at.. rough conditions are no excuse to get sloppy with how one handles their weapon if somone cant control their firearm they have no business being in the water while the conditions are too rough for them to be in control.

im not trying to be a douche just relaying my experiences
I agree about not relying on safeties and everything else you said. Gun safety in the water is just as important (if not more) than on land. However, as a secondary safety feature, I use mine right up until I am on a fish. That said..... it is just an additional safety net and should not be relied on in any way nor should it be considered as anything more than an additional backup. As you said: "the only safety you can trust is your trigger finger". just my two cents....
Spearforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
diver pat

I NEVER have an operational safety on any of my guns - my first task with a new gun is to disable or remove the safety. The only safe speargun is an unloaded one. There is nothing worse than shooting undersized fish, but even experienced divers do it from time to time.
diver pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #13
Mobius1
ADCI Diver

Send a message via AIM to Mobius1 Send a message via Yahoo to Mobius1

yeah i hate mine because its so loud and cumbersome to disengauge its one of the riffe ones where its a pin you have to shove between the push rod and the actual mechanism . i lost several fish untill i figured out to just leave it alone. heh

atleast if you bag an undersize one you have just been given the chance to feed the lobsters.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #14
Seaholic
To blend with the blue

OOOOOPs, sorry I forgot. If you are a hunter that don't know your weapons yet, and how to control and operate them, then keep your safeties on at all time.

Richard Balta

Spear America
Seaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #15
SaltyBalls
Garrick Hyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaholic View Post
OOOOOPs, sorry I forgot. If you are a hunter that don't know your weapons yet, and how to control and operate them, then keep your safeties on at all time.
thats pretty much what I was thinking, i've had probably three guns with safeties none of which have EVER been used.
SaltyBalls is offline   Reply With Quote