Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
North Star
Max

Re: Trip Report: Neah Bay and La Push

For you two guys - the space and the capital S is what allowed the mods to permit two similar names. There are others like that on the board - only a space makes the difference, the names are identical.

If you keep your avatars, and put your real name under your screen name, (where it says "registered user") nobody will confuse you.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
If you keep your avatars, and put your real name under your screen name, (where it says "registered user") nobody will confuse you.
What Max said! Calling each other by our real names goes a long way in people being authentic. You'll notice that any longstanding member of our PNW chapter has their name in their name as their avatar or just below it.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #18
NW Spearo
Tom M

I added my name in place of "registered user" as you suggested. Thanks for the tip.
NW Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #19
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Thanks Tom for taking the time to do that.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #20
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

I prefer anonymity. It empowers me to defame, deride and generally be a disagreeable forum troll.
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #21
tomo
The Old Man In The Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by winklecl View Post
I prefer anonymity. It empowers me to defame, deride and generally be a disagreeable forum troll.
Being so removed from the sea could do that to a lesser man...
tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #22
North Star
Max

Quote:
We are already on to you Clayton, and soon the ax is gonna fall. Nobody escapes PNW justice.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #23
Big_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Berg View Post
Wow you guys have it tough with the limited target species.
I just noticed that my original post made me sound like an ignorant prick and i apologize. I guess what i was trying to ask was, if there are any other targets in the ocean dive wise aside from rock fish and diving for dungies? I am very interested in the pacific north west dive scene.

-Nathan
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #24
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Nathan,
I moved here from the tropics and I can't say I've ever been bored by it. There's always the potential to stumble onto a 40+ inch lingcod or monster cabezon. Since Clayton (Winklecl) moved to Montana they have been easier to come by.
There is always the challenge of hunting scallops too which never gets dull. I took a two month break from spearing this summer to chase salmon from the kayak (thanks to Kyle) and that was insanely fun. Basically, only the boring get bored around here. I doubt you would.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

SHHHHHHHH! I'm trying to build my street cred for the California section .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Berg View Post
any other targets in the ocean dive wise aside from rock fish and diving for dungies?
To add to what Josh said- I would consider Oregon ocean diving similar to Norcal in species available to take. Washington has significant restrictions within the Puget Sound, but if you can make it to the coast proper it's more open.

Access to pelagic species is limited in these states. They are typically far off shore compared to those in Southern California. But plenty of us dream of taking an albacore by spear some day.

I have yet to chase halibut in Oregon, but they are there and open to spearing. Another some day.

Also consider other non-scallop inverts. Clams, urchin, abalone (southern Oregon) and shrimp (P. Sound) for example. Diving in the PNW is more varied and vibrant than most would think.

Also, the network of bays and break waters give pretty much year-round access to salt water diving.

Check out Mike Pierce's videos for some fresh water alternatives.
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #26
North Star
Max

Quote:
SHHHHHHHH! I'm trying to build my street cred for the California section .
Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #27
NW Spearo
Tom M

For years I avoided spearfishing in Puget Sound around the Seattle area because of the restrictions on certain shore dive access points, and the restrictions on Rockfish, Lingcod, and Halibut. But I changed my attitude. For the past 7 months I've tried to hit the water once per week--shore dive free diving. I keep my dive gear always packed and ready to go. I have found convenient locations around Alki Beach and Mukilteo. I can do a round trip in 4-5 hours, i.e., the drive over, suit up, spearfish for 1-2 hours, drive home, rinse and hangup my gear to dry. I love it. It's fun. I don't care if I shoot fish or not.

Recently, I bought a used sit-on-top kayak (Craigslist) so I'm learning all that goes with it, e.g., prepping, dropping anchor, leashing gear to the boat, getting on and off, dealing with waves and wind and current. There are always lessons to be learned.

I'm still hunting for Cabezon in the local waters. No luck yet. But you can bet I'll post the picture when I finally get one.

Meanwhile, I do find other fish: Rock Sole, Starry Flounder, Greenlings, and large Perch (16-17"). Twice I've seen a Giant Pacific Octopus. There's always one or two curious seals that come check me out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	211792  
NW Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #28
tomo
The Old Man In The Sea

Hi Tom, I am in sync with everything you said in your great post. When a person can get past whatever baloney reasons they have for not doing a key activity, all of a sudden they will find themselves out in the sea on a spectacular day with life all around, and hopefully see how easy it would be to not be there. Down here on the coast it has been a tough few months of extreme poor viz, but by sticking with it many of us have had a few extra awesome dives. I personally am at a point where I would go without the really good days in exchange for more consistent 8-10ft. days, as being in the sea is my main purpose. I think the sound offers that. You will love the kayak, (already do I suppose). Good diving to you!
tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #29
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Tom(o), maybe we just need to learn to love lower viz? I've found that by just moving very, very slowly I can pretty much always find fish. Maybe not trophies but eater fish non-the-less. That said, the conditions you northerners have in the Sound are enviable! Dove the Mukilteo ferry terminal for dungies on my way back from Canada last week and marveled at the 30ft viz and abundant crabs (and ratfish!!!).
Tom M. here's to used sit-on-top yaks!