Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #46
J-Rat

Re: What was your first "Brag" fish?

I remember that, I was so bummed i didn't end up going out with you that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sachs View Post
My first brag fish was my definitely my first WSB.

The night before I was really tempted to go hit some bars in downtown SB with Iaon P, aka "fin", but I knew that if I did that there was no way I'd be waking up for a dawn patrol dive. I've always told myself that if I ever chose a night of partying over getting up early when the fish were in or the waves were good, that I had seriously mixed up my priorities.

With that in mind I declined his invitation, woke up at 0545, and was in the water by 0645. Right after I got in the water I was seeing dozens of fish in the 8-12lb range, but I decided to hold off in hopes of seeing a bigger fish. About 30 minutes later I was slowly kicking up current along the outer edge of the kelp, then stopped on the surface to make myself more quiet. Just as I did this I noticed some movement to my left along the bottom. Moving only my eyes I watched a nice WSB with a back clearly broader than all the other swimming right towards me. I let the tip of my gun sink down and then pulled the trigger when the fish was almost directly beneath me.

The fish careened towards kelp, so I put a little pressure on it to keep it from getting too tangled. It began to swim in circles around me so I kept turning with it to avoid getting tangled in the shooting line. Soon enough I had my hands in it's gills and swam the fish to the beach. As I exited the water a crowd of folks from the campground gathered around, eager to see my catch. An old man even came up to me to pat me on the back, no BS. I felt like a hero, LOL.

And of course I couldn't wait to get back to my car to call my dive buddy and tell him I scored.

The fish went 36" and was thick.

Attachment 122786
J-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #47
fish til udrown

Location: palos verdes but go to CMA and spend a lot of time there

Quote:
Originally Posted by So-Cal Spearo View Post
Come on man, I need to retain at least a hint of my dignity
Brando has a copy of the infamous photo but I have an equally embarrassing photo or two of him as a bit of an insurance policy.
HAHAHA that picture is classic I had it on my old computer, lucky for you its not working any more.
fish til udrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #48
fuzz
fuzzy logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish til udrown View Post
HAHAHA that picture is classic I had it on my old computer, lucky for you its not working any more.

fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #49
Adam Sachs
Lenguado fresco

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rat View Post
I remember that, I was so bummed i didn't end up going out with you that day.
Welcome back, dude. How long you been lurking since your last post?
Adam Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote