Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 10-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
syrespect

tips for hunting Mu

what are your techniques to shoot these skiddish fish?
syrespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

Lying still. I find most will become curious and move in closer just to figure out what the hell you're doing.

Grunting/Croaking. I have 2 different grunts I do. When I spot a Mu, I'll try both. Depending on the reaction, I will decide which to continue with.

So far, and I am still new at Mu hunting, but I have only been able to call in smaller ones. Although last week, while working off of Lahaina (working, not hunting) I came across a Mu Pile that had some beasts in it. they were bigger than the ones in the Maui Ocean Center. I grunted them all into what would have been shooting range. this is an area that not many people spear in (never seen a hunter out there) so I'm not sure if it is that they aren't afraid, or that I didn't have a gun.
Stodelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
syrespect

I think they didn't see a gun... honestly, i think fish know when we have a gun. I heard grunting works well, but i heard if you can get right on top of 'em you can drop down and they won't see you till they get spooked then you shoot.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:00 AM   #4
uluapoundr

Hawaii Skindiver mag had some good tips a while back. I'm not much of a mu hunter, only recently been trying my skills. The best tip I find that works is hiding. Try hiding behind a rock, ledge, or even a bump on the ocean floor. Toss up a handfull of sand and don't stare at them directly in the eye. Dive bombing does work, that's how I speared my first mu.
uluapoundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
hilodiver

Send a message via Yahoo to hilodiver
I'm still working on the Mu thing. In addition to uluapoundr's tips, I think a good bottom time is the key. I think I'm going to ditch the floatline and try a reel, the floatline kind of makes them nervous.
hilodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

Quote:
Originally posted by hilodiver
I'm still working on the Mu thing. In addition to uluapoundr's tips, I think a good bottom time is the key. I think I'm going to ditch the floatline and try a reel, the floatline kind of makes them nervous.
You nailed that one! I was using a floatline before rigged as a breakaway. I never was able to call Mu's in until I lost the flaotline (drop weight on the end) and started using the reel.

As far as bottom time, I think they know when you're about out because I've never had one come in close enouigh to shoot until I was ready to head up.
Stodelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:43 PM   #7
Sheri
So Little Time

All of these tips are good advice, and goes with what I learned from Daryl. Before Nationals, we went out to practice, and I watched Daryl get many mus, and he made it look so easy. He would drift down, hide behind rocks, lay motionless on the bottom for hours, and when one came in close, he would shoot it like he was a sniper.

I usually wouldn't even see these fish, because they would leave before I could get near. I finally got one, and I was so proud of my mu (little guy, but legal)!

Be careful about SWB, make sure someone is watching you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1146ps2.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	12183  
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:02 PM   #8
syrespect

Here's one i got back in maui.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:06 PM   #9
uluabusta

Bottom time is probably the most important in hunting mu and uku. Many times they will see you and swim away but if you continue to drop down smoothly, dust up the sand as soon as you hit bottom then stop and lay very still, they will come back to look at you, especially the mu. I've seen this done many times by some of the guys I dive with and it works. I know it sounds very simple to do but it does take some very good bottom time to accomplish this. The top divers, mu and uku hunters here in the islands make it look easy but you have to consider the fact that many of them have some incredible bottom time.
uluabusta is offline   Reply With Quote