Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
kodama

New Abellan Denton 2019

I remember there where rumors of a renewed Abellan Denton coming out with an angled handle and possibly new trigger. Does anyone has any information about a new model coming out any time soon? If so I would love to hear about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
spearq8

Re: New Abellan Denton 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
I remember there where rumors of a renewed Abellan Denton coming out with an angled handle and possibly new trigger. Does anyone has any information about a new model coming out any time soon? If so I would love to hear about it.

Message Greekdiver as he is the one doing the new Abellans. They had a check list of things that could be improved on the original Abellan and they have pretty much crossed out the entire list. Muzzle has been dramatically improved, the trigger has been changed to long DR, the handle has been rotated to push recoil into palm, the trigger guard SS assembly also improved. Plus the wood is teak rather than mohogany. All positive changes and no expense spared. I have only seen pictures of the gun and it looks very very nice!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Message Greekdiver as he is the one doing the new Abellans. They had a check list of things that could be improved on the original Abellan and they have pretty much crossed out the entire list. Muzzle has been dramatically improved, the trigger has been changed to long DR, the handle has been rotated to push recoil into palm, the trigger guard SS assembly also improved. Plus the wood is teak rather than mohogany. All positive changes and no expense spared. I have only seen pictures of the gun and it looks very very nice!
can you post some pictures ?
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
Coral Sniper
Pineisland Freediver

I was diving with them yesterday(owners of abellan) its coming out soon dont you worry !

Ben Carlson
FREEDIVE Fort Myers, Join us on FB!
Coral Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Sniper View Post
I was diving with them yesterday(owners of abellan) its coming out soon dont you worry !

Well that is good news. I guess I’ll hold my breath for a while.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post

I can’t figure out how to pm him.
@greekdiver. It would be appreciated if you could give us an indication when these new versions would become available. I am in the market for a new gun but can’t afford to wait too long.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:47 AM   #7
doyenofcastle

how many incident that reel rope was tangled around the stainless muzzle in previous versions ?with gun lost ?
Old 09-16-2018, 02:32 AM   #8
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
how many incident that reel rope was tangled around the stainless muzzle in previous versions ?with gun lost ?

Hmm interesting. Can you elaborate on that please? How does it happen and where does it get tangled?

I tried to contact greekdiver but didn’t receive any answer. It seems like they are not too keen to share information about a new release quite yet.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:57 AM   #9
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Hmm interesting. Can you elaborate on that please? How does it happen and where does it get tangled?

I tried to contact greekdiver but didn’t receive any answer. It seems like they are not too keen to share information about a new release quite yet.

I just asked if anyone happen to him ,
the muzzle have some small anchors if the line tangled around one of them large fish will grape the gun .
Old 09-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
I just asked if anyone happen to him ,

the muzzle have some small anchors if the line tangled around one of them large fish will grape the gun .

I don’t really see a problem with the design of the muzzle. In my experience tangles usually happen when the line somehow wraps around the rubber bands.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
spearq8

Band tangles don't happen with the Abellan any more than with any other gun and it has more to do with the type of line you use and if your line is slack. I have never heard of anyone losing an Abellan due to a line tangle caused by the muzzle. The problem with the muzzle hooks is that they damaged the bands as the metal used was very thin and would always cut the bands. I always cut off the top left (as I only use right side) and on the bottom hooks I reduce them so they can just hold 3 wraps of 400lb mono (don't need any more than that). Also cut off the hook that is not used. Then dull the edges and polish them. One other thing I didn't like was that the two super thin screws that hold the muzzle. If you try and unscrew them there is a very good chance that the screw will break in the wood ... now fixing that is just one huge deal !!! The new version uses thicker metal and is more rounded and hooks don't hurt the bands and is bolted in the muzzle with thicker screws (maybe even bolts).
Old 09-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #12
kodama

Good to hear they have improved the muzzle because apparently it was necessary.
When I order one I will replace the screws with something better like this

Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #13
kodama

Actually the screw and sleeve above is not ideal. It is an expansion sleeve and when used at the muzzle there might be a chance of splitting!
It would be better to drill an accurate hole and use epoxy to fix a non expanding sleeve as shown below.
These treaded inserts are super strong when used correctly.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
spearq8

Quote:
Actually the screw and sleeve above is not ideal. It is an expansion sleeve and when used at the muzzle there might be a chance of splitting!
It would be better to drill an accurate hole and use epoxy to fix a non expanding sleeve as shown below.

Actually I had these Ermessub inserts and they tend to slip out if you put pressure on them as the surface is smooth and the epoxy is not able to get a good hold. What I did was pass them through a threader and cut threads on the outside of the smooth surface and now they hold really well. You can get stainless steel inserts with threads, but the Abellan muzzle this would take up too much space. What they have done is just used thicker screws and these have flat tops ... which go in a recess in the metal muzzle. Much more streamlined and much stronger. I will see if I can find a picture of it.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:12 AM   #15
Mikel_24

Quote:
The trick is to use expanding anchors like the one pictured... but after installing them with epoxy, you can run a bottoming thread through it, to remove some metal and avoid the expansion problem. The knurled surface and the cut outs on the exterior are key for a good bond with the epoxy.

And I know it works, because that's exactly what I use in my wooden guns. Works greate.

Also, regarding the second "inserts" shown...

Quote:
Well, those are rivet nuts (rivnuts also called) and are meant to be used with a special gun (resembles a rivet gun) to create threaded connections in sheetmetal panels where the back side is not accesible to allow the installation of a regular nut.

They are not meant to be glued and the hex shaped neck is to prevent rotation in the sheetmetal (requires stamped hexagonal holes). You can also find them round or a bit knurled.

Another problem is that they only have threads on the bottom half. The closest area to the surface (the one meant to collapse under presure when riveted) is oversized and not threaded.

Summary: Do not use rivet nuts as inserts.

Or we could go the proper way and use stainless wood inserts (coarse wood thread on the outside, inner fine thread for a bolt). Suuuuuuper expensive and not readily available. I have located them locally in brass and they work ok. But the stainless variety... well... as I said, hard to find and expensive!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote