Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
RumbleFish
Team Fii

Where to get 1mm camo/mimetic wetsuit?

Speaking of wetsuits (Zeke's thread), I was wondering if anyone knows who makes, and/or where can I find a 1mm camo/mimetic wetsuit. There has been a lot of times when diving where my Spetton 3mm camo is way too much and I feel as though I am overheating, sometimes I am so uncomfortable, I have to pull my hood down and constantly pull the neck open to let cool water in to cool me down. So I went and purchased the Omer mimetic lycra shirt and shorts and wear this, but there is absolutely no thermal properties whatsoever and I get chilled after expended periods, even when I wear this over a diveskin.
Other than getting the Riffe 1mm pants and top and putting the Omer lycra over that..way too complicated IMO.....I cant seem to find a 1mm camo anywhere...any ideas?
RumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
spearguam

Re: Where to get 1mm camo/mimetic wetsuit?

Omer makes a 1.5 mm ocean mimetic fullsuit. I would not pay full price for one, but if you can find one used for $100 or less, it serves its purpose.

TG
Old 09-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
aquaholick
pacific pish poker

I have looked far and wide but impossible to find a 1mm camo suit. Like Tim said Omer's 1.5 Dalak is ok but is a one piece suit with a zipper which will provide little warmth. Eilos makes several types of 2mm suits. One of which I am ordering now. 2mm Nylon / Smothskin. Reversible and durable but not to warm. I burn up in 3mil suits.

Cheers
aquaholick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
takowill
Fluid combustion

I use a 2mm Deep thought reversible suit, it's nylon on both sides so it won't burn you up.
Good for summer...
http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/shops..._wetsuits.html
takowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
RumbleFish
Team Fii

Thanks for the replys..all good info...but I dont know the thermal difference between the 2mm and the 3mm. Whether it will still be too warm....the 1.5, I guess is the best alternative?
You guys with the 2mm, are you diving tropic waters or the cooler Hawaiin/west coast waters?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
BIGisland Boy

In hawaii they sell a 1.5 mm 2 piece wetsuit. It is made by yazbeck, but i think it may be branded as hawaii skin diver. Brand new is less than $200. I am not sure if they came out with a camo version yet though.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
OceanEd

I have the 1.5 mm Omer Dahlik cammo suit and I love it. It gives me plenty of warmth, is flexable, and if I need more warmth I can wear a hood/gloves or a hooded vest. When in the Bahamas in the winter I wear it day after day after day for long periods of time.

Talk to Mike at Florida Freedivers. He is on the board.
OceanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
RumbleFish
Team Fii

Thanks All, Got a lot of great info here and good PM's! (thanks) Yeah, I have been so busy lately, I hav'nt had a chance to go up and see Mike and see what they have. But still dying to find a good 1/1.5mm camo 2 piece.....
Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
23six
Kalea Kai

Rumblefish - You need to listen to OceanEd. I know of a couple of divers that use that exact suit here in local waters. It does work. I don't personally use the OMER 1.5mil 1-piece myself, but I do use a Mako 1-piece with zip in the back for summer time. I agree that it's too hot in summer here to use the 3mil 2-piece.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
23six
Kalea Kai

...and if you are right in Hypoluxo you really need to go to Florida Freedivers. They carry the OMER dalak as OceanEd stated. Why guess when you can just go look at it in person. If you like it and they have your size you will be all set.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
SporaScrub

I also wanted a 1mm 2 piece cammo suit but already had a sporasub 1.5mm tsunami (black) and never found who made a 1mm cammo.

I bought the new omer lycra http://www.scubasworld.com/proddetai...prod=lycracamu and use it over my 1.5mm suit. Something to consider if you already have a black 1mm suit.
SporaScrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
RumbleFish
Team Fii

Hey 23Six, I like the Dahlak, but I was looking for a 2 piece....maybe I'm just being too particular......?

SporaScrub, Yes, I have the Omer Lycra already, I wear it by itself on really hot days, but after a while I get chilled. I have a Riffe 1mm top and bottoms and like them alot, just wish they were camo. I have a little problem when I put the Omer Lycra over the Riffe suit, When I load my gun, the Lycra wants to slide around a bit and left me with some really nasty bruises on my chest, and makes it a bit more difficult to load because of this. You ever have this problem?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
SporaScrub

Nope, I've never had that problem because I've only shot pneumatics while wearing the lycra over my tsunami wetsuit. I just learned how to chest load and guess I'll have to watch out for that when I start using a Rob Allen. Basically the lycra is sliding the gun off the loading pad from the suit below?
SporaScrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Riffe used to make a 2-piece 1mm suit I think, but only in solid blue...?

Safe, Selective, Sustainable Seafood!
www.wildphotossafaris.com
www.diving-action.com
Wilddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
RumbleFish
Team Fii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporaScrub View Post
Nope, I've never had that problem because I've only shot pneumatics while wearing the lycra over my tsunami wetsuit. I just learned how to chest load and guess I'll have to watch out for that when I start using a Rob Allen. Basically the lycra is sliding the gun off the loading pad from the suit below?
Yes, The gun butt grips on the Lycra fine, but the Lycra streches and slips all around over the wetsuit..where my chest pad is located. Big PITA!