Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
CuzzA

Bringing an old Biller back to life?

My neighbor's friend had an old 54" Biller sitting in the garage and for $75, it and a couple shafts are now sitting in my garage.

I broke down the gun. The wood is straight and everything appeared to be in working order, but I want to ensure it is safe and operational before putting it into service.

So I have a few questions. Obviously the wood needs to be lightly sanded and refinished. Anyone have a good finish they can suggest?

I have not pulled the trigger mech as I'm unsure how the safety is installed which appears to be holding it in place. It looks like a simple pin but rust is concealing it enough that I don't want to go hammering on it only to break something. How do I pull the mech?

Finally, I want to put a commercial Sea Hornet muzzle on the gun. Kill spike? Spare shaft holders? Anyone know where I can source parts? Bruington?

I'm not sure what approach I'll take with the gun, might set it up as a straight free shaft gun like my Rhino or maybe I'll make it a line gun.

Anyway, drop some knowledge on me.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Bringing an old Biller back to life?

Best to bring it to me and let me check it out. Does the gun have an original Sea Hornet grip or a Biller grip? I have a few Sea Hornet parts left over. I can check the trigger mech and install everything you mentioned above.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
CuzzA

All Biller parts. I'll swing by. Thanks Kevin. Sending pm.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
Dbrown

Check out those new guns he has James! The teak is beautiful! Really something to see. I got to see the original rails when Kevin brought them back from the yard they had been sitting in for well over a decade. Amazing to see what the rails have become. Real treasure of a gun to get the opportunity to own.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
CuzzA

The Windsong guns are gorgeous. Kevin will be sharing the story soon.

I went by the Ocean Rhino shop today and he turned the gun into a free shafting machine. I still need to give the teak some TLC and make a couple mods, but the gun is back from the dead and I'm looking forward to slangin' some steel with it. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Kevin has been busy since the last time I was there. He continues to improve on the Rhino design and anyone looking for a new gun will be happy with their purchase, especially that Windsong.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about a fellow diver's death. I know some of our fellow board members were involved in the incident. My thoughts are with you guys and Kim's family.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
The Windsong guns are gorgeous. Kevin will be sharing the story soon.

I went by the Ocean Rhino shop today and he turned the gun into a free shafting machine. I still need to give the teak some TLC and make a couple mods, but the gun is back from the dead and I'm looking forward to slangin' some steel with it. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Kevin has been busy since the last time I was there. He continues to improve on the Rhino design and anyone looking for a new gun will be happy with their purchase, especially that Windsong.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about a fellow diver's death. I know some of our fellow board members were involved in the incident. My thoughts are with you guys and Kim's family.
Very sad to hear - would be very interested in finding out what happened, just in case it could serve as a lesson for others. Equipment malfunction, medical issue not known about, etc.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
Dbrown

https://www.wfla.com/news/pinellas-c...ion/1838037398

This is the news clip on Kimberly Houtz who passed away yesterday. That's all I know of it.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
CuzzA

The sheriff's office originally posted that there was a gear issue pre dive.

Below is a post from another board who heard the radio call on the water. It sounds like the crew did everything they could, including administering o2 and CPR. Sucks.

Quote:
I happened to be on a sail boat in the area when this incident occurred so I did hear the exchange with the coast guard

the diver was in the water "no more than 2 mins" ( quote from the person on the boat talking to the coast guard / rescue team ) and the also said they don't think she even had time to reach the bottom

They said she was having difficulty breathing and chest pain - it initially sounded like she was going to be ok - at one point they reported that she was sitting up but still having breathing / chest pain but a short time later they reported her deteriorating and she lost consciousness.

She was administered o2 - there was no AED on the boat

it was her first dive of the day and no other dives in 24 hours

The rescue team asked the boat to start heading in so they could meet but it was about 30 mins before they were able to move because the "other diver ( boy friend )" was still in the water

They reported she stopped breathing about 5 - 10 min after she lost consciousness and that someone was administering CPR - so there was at least one other person on the boat along with the person on the radio although it sounded like there were only 2 people diving

The person on the boat did say she appeared to have suffered a lung injury. There are more details that would indicate lung issue not hearth attack but I am unsure if it is appropriate to post that information.

There was no report of equipment issues over the radio

Edited to clarify - I have seen a couple of reports that imply the issue was not called in until the diver has lost consciousness - it was clear from the exchange I heard that the problem was called well before that it was also clear she was given O2 right away. The boat was in constant contact with the coast guard / rescue team
Old 03-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Very sad news.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
CuzzA

So after a visit to Kevin at Spearfishing Specialties for a new muzzle, spare shaft holders, and some of my own TLC and mods, this teak beauty is back from the dead and ready to slang some steel. 😎 I still have a few adjustments to make. A couple standoffs for the forward shaft holders. Might add a simple single wrap line kit, but I rarely line shaft. 👊

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54799181_10216958883858631_8348795323908358144_o.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	241943   Click image for larger version

Name:	53352631_10216958884178639_2813468432333275136_o.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	241944   Click image for larger version

Name:	54727933_10216958884658651_9042373834304389120_n.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	241945   Click image for larger version

Name:	55509685_10216958886258691_4817756942971699200_o.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	241946  
Old 03-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
Marco

Awesome!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
SEATUX

Whats that in front of the trigger...two power heads?
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #13
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Might add a simple single wrap line kit, but I rarely line shaft. ��
Get the quick change over kit. It's worth it as you never know...
For example, I didn't have one and we got a big fish show as we were slowly leaving a wreck area surrounded by sand that was conducive to a freeshaft only gun.
I was still suited and the capt'n asked if anyone was ready to drop. I looked at the finder and said hell yea. We were in 105'. I was met by AJ's at ~40'. They came to greet me and show me where the rest of the fish were.
I followed them back to the mother ship which was a GIANT Southern Atlantic sting ray. Practically everything that inhabits the area was following it as it cruised along the bottom, including some monster Cobia.
Suffice to say, I would've had one of those ~80lb Cobia had I had this gear. Also, this reminds me of another monster Cobia I lost at the Air Force tower in the crook of the Panhandle. Always check your line crimps yourself. A well known gun rigger put that one on and I didn't second guess it...'plink' it went after making a solid shot and grabbed a hold of my face mask to keep it from coming off my face in the coming run.
The switch over is also nice to have for the unexpected AJ's even though they are easier to kill than the Cobes.

Edit: Oh, BTW, looks great!
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #14
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

[quote=CuzzA;2184279]So after a visit to Kevin at Spearfishing Specialties for a new muzzle, spare shaft holders, and some of my own TLC and mods, this teak beauty is back from the dead and ready to slang some steel. 😎 I still have a few adjustments to make. A couple standoffs for the forward shaft holders. Might add a simple single wrap line kit, but I rarely line shaft. 👊

I can make those front standoffs for you.....just let me know how thick you need em.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #15
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Awesome!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Whats that in front of the trigger...two power heads?
Yes.