Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings

Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings This forum is intended for Rest in Peace Threads where we as a community offer condolences and memorialize those diver who have passed away. Safety, Accidents and Incidents discussion has a separate forum.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:54 AM   #1
Ramon
Ramon

Pescasub of the Portuguese national team dies XXXII EuroAfrican Underwater Fishing

Día triste el pescasub Matthias Sandeck de la selección portuguesa tuvo un accidente todavía por determinar falleciendo en la segunda ronda del XXXII Campeonato EuroAfricano de Pesca Submarina Dinamarca desde @pasionpescasub nuestro más sentido pésame a sus familiares.

<°))))){

Sad day the Pescasub Matthias Sandeck of the Portuguese team had an accident yet to be determined by dying in the second round of the XXXII EuroAfrican Underwater Fishing Championship Denmark from @pasionpescasub our deepest condolences to their families.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1567980036175.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	244025  
Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: Pescasub of the Portuguese national team dies XXXII EuroAfrican Underwater Fishin

RIP Matthias Sandeck. Seems like he was diving under a bridge at 25m looking for flat fish and cod... in a veeeeeeeeery strong current.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Ramon
Ramon

Post Re: Pescasub of the Portuguese national team dies XXXII EuroAfrican Underwater Fishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
RIP Matthias Sandeck. Seems like he was diving under a bridge at 25m looking for flat fish and cod... in a veeeeeeeeery strong current.

Mikel
He had the problem because his concentration distracted his attention
marking De Mola.

Doing that in a championship can cause problems even death.

If you show up for a championship 2 days before, without preparing anything
Only to dedicate yourself to control, mark a champion, this can happen.
EPD

<º)))><

El problema lo tuvo porque distrajo su atención su concentracion
marcando a De Mola.

Hacer eso en un campeonato puede acarrear problemas incluso la muerte.

Si te presentas a un campeonato 2 dias antes, sin preparar nada
solo dedicarte a controlar, marcar a un campeon, puede ocurrir esto.
EPD

Last edited by Ramon; 09-18-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:58 AM   #4
Mikel_24

Re: Pescasub of the Portuguese national team dies XXXII EuroAfrican Underwater Fishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
He had the problem because his concentration distracted his attention
marking De Mola.

Doing that in a championship can cause problems even death.

If you show up for a championship 2 days before, without preparing anything
Only to dedicate yourself to control, mark a champion, this can happen.
EPD

<º)))><

El problema lo tuvo porque distrajo su atención su concentracion
marcando a De Mola.

Hacer eso en un campeonato puede acarrear problemas incluso la muerte.

Si te presentas a un campeonato 2 dias antes, sin preparar nada
solo dedicarte a controlar, marcar a un campeon, puede ocurrir esto.
EPD
Ramon,

Thanks for the additional information. I was not aware that he was doing that. True that if you want to be proficient during any kind of competition, you better scout the area for a while well before the target date.

Mikel
Old 09-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
Ramon
Ramon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Ramon,

Thanks for the additional information. I was not aware that he was doing that. True that if you want to be proficient during any kind of competition, you better scout the area for a while well before the target date.

Mikel
If so, a professional, experienced fisherman should not make those rookie mistakes.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:56 AM   #6
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
If so, a professional, experienced fisherman should not make those rookie mistakes.

Great here we go again. Strong statements from behind the keyboard without knowing any of the specific details of what actually happened...
You obviously have no idea about this man’s background. Please reconsider before making impulsive statements like that. There is no contribution in them.

RIP Matthias
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:08 AM   #7
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Great here we go again. Strong statements from behind the keyboard without knowing any of the specific details of what actually happened...
You obviously have no idea about this man’s background. Please reconsider before making impulsive statements like that. There is no contribution in them.

RIP Matthias
+1
Maybe not your intention, but your last two posts read quite disrespectful and uninformed/gossipy, Ramon:-(

I am all for discussing even the most tragic of accidents so that we can all learn as a community, but Ramon, that's unfortunately not what you did here.
Mikel, as for how long you need to scout for, I guess longer is always better, but 1-2 days of scouting for a top, top athlete like Matthias is perhaps often enough(?). Also, I don't know if the conditions during the scouting were different than during the accident and if so, would longer scouting have helped? Supposedly, the thermocline was quite intense on that sad day and the surface swim to the spot was very long, too.
Maybe Matthias pushed too much, maybe the conditions surprised even him. Maybe something else happened. We simply don't know enough yet. But I think the organizers are trying hard to piece the information together these days and will, likely, share once they have a more complete picture.

Personally, and for the bigger picture. I think many of the best spearos are at risk of pushing too much during competitions. It happens and it happens outside of competitions also. At some point, it needs to be discussed if competition spearos need to be forced into using a more rigorous buddy system.

RIP Matthias

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-21-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
Ramon
Ramon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
+1
Maybe not your intention, but your last two posts read quite disrespectful and uninformed/gossipy, Ramon:-(

I am all for discussing even the most tragic of accidents so that we can all learn as a community, but Ramon, that's unfortunately not what you did here.
Mikel, as for how long you need to scout for, I guess longer is always better, but 1-2 days of scouting for a top, top athlete like Matthias is perhaps often enough(?). Also, I don't know if the conditions during the scouting were different than during the accident and if so, would longer scouting have helped? Supposedly, the thermocline was quite intense on that sad day and the surface swim to the spot was very long, too.
Maybe Matthias pushed too much, maybe the conditions surprised even him. Maybe something else happened. We simply don't know enough yet. But I think the organizers are trying hard to piece the information together these days and will, likely, share once they have a more complete picture.

Personally, and for the bigger picture. I think many of the best spearos are at risk of pushing too much during competitions. It happens and it happens outside of competitions also. At some point, it needs to be discussed if competition spearos need to be forced into using a more rigorous buddy system.

RIP Matthias
Thank you for your response, if you think I only say gossip, this will be my last topic in this FORUM.

I only transmit the news that comes to me first hand by people who are in that place and see, as curators, participating fishermen, etc.

If you think accidents happen because yes, you are wrong, there is always a cause and a reason.

And some of the reasons may or may not be those I refer to because of my experience in championships and my professionalism.

All accidents are cause for pain and sadness, some can be avoided if you have more responsibility and head, others unfortunately not.

And as I say thank you for valuing my topics and comments

But the least I want to be is pink sauce.

Forever friends of the Forum and Diving Gecko

Ramón Fernández

Ramón Javier F.B. <facebook
@pasionpescasub> Facebook

Last edited by Ramon; 09-22-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Ramon
Ramon

Quote:

RIP Matthias
Do you think that if I didn't know the case, would I upload it here to share it with you?
Do you know me to know what I do as pescasub and my evolutions through the net?
Do you know who I am and my career as pescasub?
when you know talk to me later thank you

Ramón Javier F.B. <facebook
@pasionpescasub> Facebook
Old 09-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Relax Ramon.
You had two people tell you that your comments sounded harsh (and one that didn’t), so perhaps you could look a little bit inward, too? When you write that a top athlete comes unprepared and makes rookie mistakes, it can simply look disrespectful. Simple as that. And not until now did you mention that you have sources close to the accident, so do not attack people for not knowing that.

I think this a misunderstanding, probably not helped by the language barrier.

All best,
David.

Kodama, here's an account with quite a lot more nuance than above:
https://www.apneapassion.com/news-an...ndeck-and-why/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-23-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Ramon
Ramon

Quote:
Chill Ramon. You had two people tell you that your comments sounded harsh (and one that didn’t). But when you write that a top athlete comes unprepared and makes rookie mistakes, it can look disrespectful. And not until now did you mention that have sources close to the accident.

So, let’s call this a misunderstanding.

All best,
David.
Lord, translators do not make sense of words or phrases expressing what a person wants to convey.

Only dryly translate words.

I was not ready = the championship was not prepared they came two days before

novato errors = mark the champion watch where he goes to know where the fish is (we believe they already know the area and have found fish)

This makes you lose concentration, if you lose it you make mistakes
You are more time watching or marking the champion, what you have to do.

If you lose your cocentration in a championship high risk you are lost.

I'm not going to say my sources for privacy, because if I say that then it seems like a gossip
I have my word and honor everyone respects her

Goodnight

Ramón J. Fernández B.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:00 AM   #12
Mikel_24

Quote:
...Mikel, as for how long you need to scout for, I guess longer is always better, but 1-2 days of scouting for a top, top athlete like Matthias is perhaps often enough(?). Also, I don't know if the conditions during the scouting were different than during the accident and if so, would longer scouting have helped? Supposedly, the thermocline was quite intense on that sad day and the surface swim to the spot was very long, too.
I recall reading in the Apnea printed magazine (looooong ago) that the spanish spearfishing team (for world championships) used to move to the area two to three weeks ahead of the comptetition so as to scout the area in as many different situations as possible (sea conditions, tide conditions, etc.)
I also understand that if boats are allowed, then there is a much bigger area to cover/scout. This one requiring to move arround with fins could probably have been done faster because you just cannot venture that far (I understand you scout with a boat).

Quote:
... But I think the organizers are trying hard to piece the information together these days and will, likely, share once they have a more complete picture.
I don't think we will ever get a better picture. I recall reading somewhere (we have a forumite called Claus in Pescasub.com who was in the competition, as a part of the support infrastructure I guess because he was posting live in Facebook) and he stated that the family had requested not to proceed with any further investigations.

Mikel
Old 09-24-2019, 02:20 AM   #13
Ramon
Ramon

Sad is the death of a person, but sad and painful is to leave family and children.

Many of you have taken my opinion as an offense.

I just wanted you to know about the silence that has closed

of the facts not to criticize, just give some light of the events

observed by people present, because the championship
It was made with exit from the shore.

And also that the experienced fishermen of

championships and beginners have a summary and learn about

what should not be done in a champion of extreme risk and elite,

No one is exempt from making a mistake while fishing and less losing mental concentration for the development of the test.

greetings to all pescasubs

my last comment

Ramón JFB
Old 09-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #14
kodama

Hi Ramon,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate that you take the time to explain your honest sentiment.
It is clear to me know that your mother tongue is not English and as it often goes a lot of nuance can easily get lost in short messages especially when the author is not familiar with the language.

I hope you see that your original comment reflects a different intention compared to your last.
I also want to believe that you only had good intentions and didn’t want to speak negatively of Matthias.

Don’t let this conversation put you off from contributing to the forum. Miss communication happens but you made an effort to set it straight.
It’s all good.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
Ramon
Ramon

Quote:
Hi Ramon,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate that you take the time to explain your honest sentiment.
It is clear to me know that your mother tongue is not English and as it often goes a lot of nuance can easily get lost in short messages especially when the author is not familiar with the language.

I hope you see that your original comment reflects a different intention compared to your last.
I also want to believe that you only had good intentions and didn’t want to speak negatively of Matthias.

Don’t let this conversation put you off from contributing to the forum. Miss communication happens but you made an effort to set it straight.
It’s all good.
Thanks mate, google translate just translate dry and rough words.

It doesn't make sense to what a person wants to convey

because I write in Spanish

And therefore the translator will not do it for me

thanks for your support

It is sad to see people who do not understand this fact

and that they value you for the error of a badly calibrated app

They do not remember everything that I have contributed to make you participate in the outside world

of this sport that we love so much even if there are misfortunes along the way

I have lost many drowned friends and have always looked for why?

so as not to make the same mistakes, however hard it may seem

This sport is not learned at school, or at university, it is learned by fighting at sea every day that you go fishing

And what the stories are told in the meetings of friends in the club

That's why you have to learn every day in this sport, look for safety reasons

Thank you amigo

Last edited by Ramon; 09-26-2019 at 06:14 AM.