Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
Etexag

Experienced Diver but Never Spear Fished Looking for Help

First Post

I’ve been wanting to get into spearshing and would be interested in hearing about your experience. How did you get into it? I have been diving since I was 10, (for 20 years) but never been spearfishing. I live in the Houston Area.
Is there a group that goes that could help a newbie out? I don't have a spear gun yet but have a nice bay boat. Plan on buying one soon.

What time of year do you go?

Is there visibility within range of my 22 ft triton 220 Lts?

Is there a must have spear gun?

What rigs would you recommend?

Any training or resources for a beginner?

Clubs in the Houston Area?

Last edited by Etexag; 10-19-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Etexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Capt G

Re: Experienced Diver but Never Spear Fished Looking for Help

I live in Magnolia and can get together with you sometime and give you some pointers. Send me a PM with your contact number.

G
Capt G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

Well sounds like you got the drive, now you got to dive! Mako Spearguns offers some of the best prices in the industry! Riffe offers an amazing gun and history to back it! Seasniper is beauty and the beast slayer! Are you tank diving? If so your gonna want to use what your comfortable with! Pipe or wood, JBL is also a great choice! Are you hunting nearshore? If so a 90cm cressi commanche will rock snapper and mangrove! Are you diving deep for big Amberjack well then you need to match power to prey! Why I own numerous guns! To start your boat can get you 50nm offshore on a flat day! But what I would recommend is booking a trip with someone like Keith Love www.texasbluewatersafaris.com or any other person or outfit you can get on with! Why I recommend this is see what others are using! YouTube the crap out of everything! It's amazing what you can learn watching others! If your Freediving same thing same company's! For Leif water is dirty I use a shorter gun because shots can be in your face! My theory is 3x's the shaft length is my shot! So not to hard to figure that out, dirty water smaller fish don't need a huge gun that's gonna shred your catch! Always match gear with fish! And consider your options! Oil rigs are rugged so cable to shaft is common! Not saying a must! Bluewater wahoo your gonna want a float line and big float! Big amberjack at least a JBL XHD Gulf Magnum or elite! Ocean rhino makes a work horse as well! Tons of options! Just match hunt with weapon! I use a 130 Mako Oceanic and a Riffe Bluewater elite and cressi commanche 90! I have a reel on the cressi and mako! Bluewater elite is flatline with Riffe float! Lots of choices good luck! And welcome!

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

Training, if your Freediving? FII all the way

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
Etexag

Thanks. There's a lot I need to get and learn before I go. I have dive gear so I will try both diving and freediving. Finding locations, meeting people that go, and learning technique I guess will come with time. Hopefully we can get some calm weather soon so I can do some exploring. Fishing in the bay is fun but this sport seems a hell of a lot more fun. I get to combine my favorite 2 activities: bow hunting and diving.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Milkjug

Welcome!

As for time of the year, it's all good if you can get out. Different species at different times. May-Sept. is gonna be when all the pelagics as well as ling and mangroves are the most common. Also the most good long weather windows. Winter diving can give up plenty of sheephead, and RS come closer in. Just go! Always something to shoot or look at, and its good to get much diving in as you can.

Just use the same precautions you would use for taking your boat offshore fishing. Calm seas, no storm activity, no cold fronts arriving soon, file a float plan, portable VHF, epirb, etc, etc...
Milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
Etexag

Thanks for the help....I am slowly accumulating safety gear. Still need to add an EPIRB
Old 10-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
Milkjug

No problem. Saw your 2cool posting as well. If you haven't figured out, offshore anglers greatly outnumber offshore spearos in TX

Might be a window coming up late this coming week. Better get ready fast!
Milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
Etexag

I have been watching the weather. Too bad I have a crazy work week. Doubt I'll have all the gear in time either.
Most of my friends are scared to dive the rigs. They will have to be fishing trips with myself diving until I meet new people. I might have to stick to fishing until the weather is perfect or get the opportunity to go with someone else.
I have been asking questions on every board trying to learn more. Most of my dives have been in the Caribbean. Never been diving in the gulf. I grew up on a lake so selling my ski boat this year for a bay boat has opened up many doors to diving and fishing. This will be fun learning the ins and outs. I like doing both but diving is definitely my favorite. As soon as deer season is over I'll have to hunt something to keep my freezer full. Might as well do it underwater.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Capt G

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=62698
Capt G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
Etexag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt G View Post
Great info thanks. Those are some very humbling experiences
Old 11-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #12
Weaver

I'm relatively new to spearfishing, as well. Been out of Freeport to the dive the rigs once and done some diving around Cozumel. I'm in Houston but will travel for some good trips. I'd appreciate any advice and am always looking for a fishing trip.

-Scott
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #13
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Ive been off the board for a while deealing with life, but I'd like to say welcome to the new guys.

We have a group in Galveston and we get together and shoot fish as often as possible. we do freshwater training in nearby lakes and what not.

depending on the day and the weather a small boat can do great things with the proper driver and equipment. I run a small 18' boat out 17-18miles but i also have an EPIRB, flares, radio etc. if you want to get together some time i would be more than happy to show you what i know, and we would be happy to have you along on a trip sometime.

feel free to call or text anytime my contact info is in my signature.

Safe diving

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
Etexag

That sounds great. I would love to learn from you guys. Still gathering my gear. When do y'all start heading out? Weather is unpredictable this time of year.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
txkingfisher

The spring sheephead run is quickly approaching. You should be able to slay them. Shoot me a pm if you want some numbers for close rigs that are good for sheep.
txkingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote