Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
techwiz44

Vibrator for motion sickness, drug free

https://www.defenseone.com/technolog...litary/152960/

https://admin.govexec.com/media/otolith_pamphlet_.pdf

The vibrations emanating from the OtoTech gently target two of the four fibers that carry data about body motion to the brain via a system of inner ear sensors called the vestibulocochlear nerve. “Two [of the four vestibulocochlear nerve fibers] go to the brain, two go to your reflexes,” Owen said. The trick is to affect the former and not the latter.

“The working hypothesis is that [the vibration] causes a chaotic and noninformative stimulus to go to the brain. Somewhere, probably the cerebellum, there’s a filtering mechanism that filters out noninformative sensed information. It’s the reason you don’t notice the shirt on your back right now,” he said.

In other words, while you remain consciously aware that you’re moving, the balance portion of your brain stops noticing the fact; the data has been drowned out in white noise from the device.

So far, he says, initial testing shows that it works to prevent motion sickness without affecting balance, vision, alertness, or anything else it’s not supposed to.

Protecting the US borders is LAWFULL- not racist.
Fabricating lies and passing it off as news is dishonest and corrupt and not worthy of protection.
techwiz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
JetBoy

Re: Vibrator for motion sickness, drug free

I have to admit I clicked on this expecting something else entirely.
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
jfjf

You want me to put what where?

Or captain, is there is an outlet to charge my vibrator- I feel sick without it.

Or.... damn it ..SOB. I screwed up again and forget to take the vibrator out before jumping in - I think I wrecked another one.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
fredfoes

cheaper and so efficient

http://www.sea-band.com/fr/
fredfoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
techwiz44

false horizon fools your senses, but at $115, pricey.

As I almost never get sea sick I'll pass, but this might help others...

https://uk-media.citroen.com/en-gb/c...otion-sickness

Protecting the US borders is LAWFULL- not racist.
Fabricating lies and passing it off as news is dishonest and corrupt and not worthy of protection.
techwiz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
sealark

Stayed seasick 20 years in Navy. Never after retiring. Now seasick when I get back on land. Go figure that.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwiz44 View Post
false horizon fools your senses, but at $115, pricey.

As I almost never get sea sick I'll pass, but this might help others...

https://uk-media.citroen.com/en-gb/c...otion-sickness

http://youtu.be/rjqv8A5mFBA
...and SO stylish, too.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
OBLIGATED

Never have been seasick or airsick.
Got on a ferris wheel at broward county youth fair and almost hurled.Got off and a couple minutes later and everything was great.Never happened again.
If I take people on my boat offshore I make sure they take something the night before and tell them to not drink heavy.I dont come back to the dock for seasick passengers.
Wife invited herself to a fishing trip for White Marlin me and a buddy planned.We go unless its a hurricane.Seas at 4:30 am were around 6ft at the port Everglades inlet catching goggleyes for bait.By the end of the day seas got really snotty and she was wore out from chumming.
My FIL would get all the way to the gulfstream from Marathon and head back because his daughters would get sick EVERY DAMN TIME.When you are buying gas,food,chum,house rental and bait its hard to feel sympathy for someone who KNOWS they will get sick but insist on going anyway.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
StukNotAnchored

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
Never have been seasick or airsick.
Got on a ferris wheel at broward county youth fair and almost hurled.Got off and a couple minutes later and everything was great.Never happened again.
If I take people on my boat offshore I make sure they take something the night before and tell them to not drink heavy.I dont come back to the dock for seasick passengers.
Wife invited herself to a fishing trip for White Marlin me and a buddy planned.We go unless its a hurricane.Seas at 4:30 am were around 6ft at the port Everglades inlet catching goggleyes for bait.By the end of the day seas got really snotty and she was wore out from chumming.
My FIL would get all the way to the gulfstream from Marathon and head back because his daughters would get sick EVERY DAMN TIME.When you are buying gas,food,chum,house rental and bait its hard to feel sympathy for someone who KNOWS they will get sick but insist on going anyway.
I agree with you on one level, but if you do not make some accommodations or torture them when things go south, you only encourage the next generation to stay on the phone where it is "safe". My 17 you daughter is now the best dive buddy or fishing buddy because I worked her into it. Similarly, my girlfriend and her two tweens are now boaters and fisherman because you work to their limitations and expand as you go.

If one of the guys tanks it, I agree with you. But across the board treatment only hurts us. Without a next generation, we are just crazy old guys who do dumb sh!t. But involve the next gen and everything survives. Look at the collector car community. My dad was big into it. But they always peed on people that did not fit their narrow mold (ie, muscle cars). Discouraged the rice rocket kids from 20 years ago. Now where is it? Haggarty does white paper after white paper talking how the market will die and crash. Be a steward of what you love or you will be alone eventually.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #11
OBLIGATED

I have taken people in when they got sick.It just gets old when its the same people ruining everyone elses trip.After a while the sympathy wears off and I try to feed them crackers and tuna fish sandwiches to get the chum line for Yellowtail going
My wife says I would dive with the devil himself.As long as he kicks in for fuel,helps clean the boat, helps filet and can dive and spear in a safe manner I probably would.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
PigStikr
The Stalker

We towed a boat Baja one time near Loreto. Buddy and I and his friend. So we get out to the tiny islands offshore fishing, and the friend gets very sick. We drop him off on one of the little islands and resume fishing. Guy starts screaming like a little girl so we dash back. There were a bunch of pelagic crabs 'attacking' him and he demanded to be returned to shore. We left him on the island all morning. Probably should have given him a fishing rod...
Old 03-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

My first time getting sick, if you handed me a gun, I would have shot myself.

I fought the hell out of it thinking it was a mental thing. No matter how macho I thought I was, every sandwich and every beer came right back out.....I think I even thru up my toenails I hurled so hard. Hit the dock and all was well..........go figure.

Now.....I take a Dramamine when I leave the house in the morning and another when I leave the dock.....Been doing it forever, AFTER, getting sick for the first time.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
OBLIGATED

Years ago I took a guy scuba diving off Elliot key.I normally free dived there but he wanted to scuba.Seas were not bad (2-4 and a little chop)He started getting sick gearing up.Once he was under he was fine except his buoyancy issues(fat body)
When we got back up the anchor line he started hurling.So bad that he couldnt get in the boat and was telling me to leave himI got his gear off and inflated his BC so I could retrieve it later.Took everything I had to pull a 6'2 270 pound guy over the transom with no help.Seas were around 3-5 by now and picking up with the usual evening storm.
Once the boat hit Old Rhoades creek he was weak but not hurling.
He was an "advisor"for Miami Vice TV show.They put him on a yacht in Biscayne bay and he was not a happy camper till he hit land.
I got his Biller 42 Wish he had been on the group buy of rebreathers some officers did.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #15
SEATUX

If you want something that ACTUALLY WORKS get this;

https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/kwells-tab-x-12

Do a search on this site, allot of guys on here know about Kwells, problem is, it was bought out by Bayer, and was out of production for some time.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote