Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 02-06-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
freedivehunt131
Keith Love Spearin Addict

Send a message via AIM to freedivehunt131
Bull shark attack while Spearfishing.

On January 24th I was attacked by bull sharks. It was reported to the global shark attack files.

It started the day before. We Had a charter planned for the weekend. We run a company called Tuff Extreme. We specialize in Spearfishing and all kinds of extreme sports. We left Surfside to one of my favorite fishing spots the weather was cold and windy and the water was murky. The fish seemed to be gone. The customers didn't get anything but some small fish on the rig. We decided to stay in the area and spend the night in hopes clear warmer water would move in from the south. We woke up to a flat, blue and Clearer warmer ocean. We all got ready and got in together. We got a couple of great wahoo on the boat. The Sharks starting smelling the blood and were in the area off and on. Bull, Silky, dusky, and hammerhead sharks.

I shot a wahoo and it took off racing. It went out of sight and the float started taking off so I started swimming after it. A huge bull shark was chasing thewahoo that I had just speared and the wahoo came back towards me and then was using me as a shield. The Wahoo tangled me up in the shooting line and then the the shark was able to hit me and the wahoo I was pushing off the Sharks head. The shark then got tangled in the line with me and the wahoo and was dragging me and hitting me with his tail. It eventually broke the line. Then A second shark came speeding up from below and I put my gun down to block me and the shark hit me and the gun pushing me out of the water and breaking my speargun. Then it was a cloud of blood from the wahoo and sharks hitting me and attacking the wahoo that was still In tangled with me in a frenzy as Joe Tate races the boat to me to pull me in the boat. I don't know how they didn't get their jaws around me because the had their jaws extended trying to bite me. The wahoo had two main bites out of him and was attached to me when joe Tate pulled me in. Joe witnessed the Sharks jumping on top of me and landing on me And the Sharks thrashing on the surface at me. I laid on the back transom for 10 min. I was in shock. I felt like it took everything out of me. I couldn't move. Later in the day we took this pic. The bite marks don't do the Sharks justice. They didn't get their whole mouth around the wahoo just the very front part of their mouth. The mouths could of bit me and the wahoo in half in one bit.

I only sustained bruised ribs a cut wetsuit and a bruised tail bone. Also a broken bluewater gun. I haven't said anything sooner for fear of scaring people off from going in the water and us spearfisherman encounter sharks all the time and have incidents with sharks stealing fish. They normally don't mess with you if you have the fish in your hands and don't try and come in to attack. Sharks seem to be getting smarter and learning more and more about spearfisherman and fisherman. This incident was different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	223963  
freedivehunt131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Milkjug

Re: Bull shark attack while Spearfishing.

That is wild. Glad you made it out OK.
Milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
ChasinButts

Sick!!!

Glad you are ok man.

We will see you out there again next year.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Monger

Good write up. Thanks for awareness boost
Monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
dctrjayyy

Good to hear you are okay man.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
cedric09

Waow!! Crazy report! Glad you are ok.
Hope they will be sweeter with us for our trip in 2 weeks!!
cedric09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Bull shark attack while Spearfishing.

Wow - Glad you made it through that battle Keith. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedivehunt131 View Post
On January 24th I was attacked by bull sharks. It was reported to the global shark attack files.

It started the day before. We Had a charter planned for the weekend. We run a company called Tuff Extreme. We specialize in Spearfishing and all kinds of extreme sports. We left Surfside to one of my favorite fishing spots the weather was cold and windy and the water was murky. The fish seemed to be gone. The customers didn't get anything but some small fish on the rig. We decided to stay in the area and spend the night in hopes clear warmer water would move in from the south. We woke up to a flat, blue and Clearer warmer ocean. We all got ready and got in together. We got a couple of great wahoo on the boat. The Sharks starting smelling the blood and were in the area off and on. Bull, Silky, dusky, and hammerhead sharks.

I shot a wahoo and it took off racing. It went out of sight and the float started taking off so I started swimming after it. A huge bull shark was chasing thewahoo that I had just speared and the wahoo came back towards me and then was using me as a shield. The Wahoo tangled me up in the shooting line and then the the shark was able to hit me and the wahoo I was pushing off the Sharks head. The shark then got tangled in the line with me and the wahoo and was dragging me and hitting me with his tail. It eventually broke the line. Then A second shark came speeding up from below and I put my gun down to block me and the shark hit me and the gun pushing me out of the water and breaking my speargun. Then it was a cloud of blood from the wahoo and sharks hitting me and attacking the wahoo that was still In tangled with me in a frenzy as Joe Tate races the boat to me to pull me in the boat. I don't know how they didn't get their jaws around me because the had their jaws extended trying to bite me. The wahoo had two main bites out of him and was attached to me when joe Tate pulled me in. Joe witnessed the Sharks jumping on top of me and landing on me And the Sharks thrashing on the surface at me. I laid on the back transom for 10 min. I was in shock. I felt like it took everything out of me. I couldn't move. Later in the day we took this pic. The bite marks don't do the Sharks justice. They didn't get their whole mouth around the wahoo just the very front part of their mouth. The mouths could of bit me and the wahoo in half in one bit.

I only sustained bruised ribs a cut wetsuit and a bruised tail bone. Also a broken bluewater gun. I haven't said anything sooner for fear of scaring people off from going in the water and us spearfisherman encounter sharks all the time and have incidents with sharks stealing fish. They normally don't mess with you if you have the fish in your hands and don't try and come in to attack. Sharks seem to be getting smarter and learning more and more about spearfisherman and fisherman. This incident was different.
SpearMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

wow, that's a new one for the GOM, glad your ok.
not to sidetrack your post but whats the water temp out there these days?

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote