Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 12-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
SpearS0CAL
Beau

Traveling to Houston, looking to dive

Looks like I'll be making a handful of week-long trips to Houston throughout 2016, and would love to get out and dive some new places. For most of these trips I'll be working M-F, but was hoping to get some diving in the weekend prior, after, or both. Right now it looks like I'll be there in March, May, July, and October. Specific dates are TBD, but if you are a weekend warrior like myself, I'm sure we can make it work. I will be staying either in Katy or in the city and will have access to a rental car.

I'd love to link-up and do some bluewater diving. I'm fully geared-up for any type of diving, and am happy to help cover gas, beers, etc.

If anyone is gracious enough to show me around in your neck of the woods, I'd be happy to return the favor out in CA.

-Beau
SpearS0CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
SpearS0CAL
Beau

Re: Traveling to Houston, looking to dive

Well, looks like I'll be looking into a charter. If anyone else is interested in putting together a blue water trip in March 2016, hit me up!

-Beau
beaugentry4@yahoo.com
Old 01-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
Milkjug

Sorry you didn't get any bites. We aren't dicks, it's just that TX has a very small population of spearfishermen and many of those don't dive in the winter.

If I had a sled I would offer to take you. Always good to have dive buddies across the country.
Milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
JDSapp

That and the weather blows (literally and figuratively) in the winter months.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
SpearS0CAL
Beau

I don't take any offense to the lack of response. I know how it can be making plans to take some stranger out, months in advance. It's hard enough to find time in your own schedule to get out.

So weather can be "iffy" in March? Is that typically a good time of year to target pelagics? My New Years resolution is to dive new places. I figure if im traveling to Houston, why not tote the dive gear along.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
JDSapp

You can get some good weather windows Jan-March. I'd still recommend Texas blue water safari, if you can get ahold of Keith. Houston is shallow for a long ways out and Keith will get you on some good fish.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
SpearS0CAL
Beau

Right on, thanks for the info.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:33 AM   #8
Milkjug

Quote:
So weather can be "iffy" in March? Is that typically a good time of year to target pelagics?
Yes. That is the time we are transitioning into Spring, which is actually a worse time, we get weeks on end of 15knt onshore winds.

Arctic cold fronts will still be sweeping down from the North that time of year. The best bet would be to catch the tail-end of the N. wind when a cold front is simmering out, and before it gets cranking from the S. again. Sometimes we do get several days of calm winds like we do during the summer, but it is rare.

I believe Keith has a pretty big boat, so I doubt 3'ers (3' would be too much, but check with him on that.

I would not put money down on anything. Conditions are too squirrely that time of year. If you come down and it is diveable, then call your options.
Milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #9
JameyK

There is diving to be had Jan-Mar in Texas. Unfortunately there is not much near Houston. In my opinion you are better off driving 3.5hrs to Corpus Christi/Port Aransas or 6hrs to South Padre. Yes Galveston is only an hour a way but the water is brown and you will still spend 2-4hrs motoring out to clear water. You end up spending about the same since charter boat fuel is pricey and they run so far from the upper coast. There are Blue water charters, they do get big fish (it's hard not to if your at a rig. Fish are dumb as a brick way out there), but they can be pricey and dates fall through often

Late Feb/early March is a great time to spear the jetties (Port A, Packery, Mansfield, South Padre). Most Texas guys dont have suits thicker than 3mm so they dont go out till water is high 60's. Bay waters here are so shallow they get really cold fast and then flood out into the surf. I dove Packery once in Jan and the water was 47! (Luckily its been a warm winter) From Dec till early Feb sheepshead make up 90% of the inshore fish you will see. They rest are mostly mullet with the occasional black drum and flounder. Late Feb early March is great when the surf is flat. Huge schools of big sheepshead (20"+), and depending on water temps the flounder may start coming in thick. In warm years pompano, jacks and snapper are in by march too.

I've your really itching to spear and the ocean is not cooperating you can always volunteer to spear invasive species (the most delicious tilapia!) in San Marcos, TX (3hrs). They have a polespear tournament coming up in Feb https://www.facebook.com/events/174215596253787/. (and since I cant make this years tournament the title and new spear from 3prong Hawaii is up for grabs

Im in California at the moment. Maybe we'll see each other in the water some time.

Jamey
JameyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
SpearS0CAL
Beau

Thanks for the info Jamey, that's super helpful. It's a rough time to be a diver in CA right now, but I hope you are enjoying your trip.

I sent Keith (Texas Bluewater Safari) an email, so we'll see what he says. Sounds like I will have some options, regardless.

Looks like the dates for my March trip will be planned around my work schedule (14th-22nd, Monday to following Tuesday). I can tack on a couple days of diving the weekend before (11-13th) or after the 22nd (Tuesday).
Old 01-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
SpearS0CAL
Beau

I talked to Krista at Texas Bluewater Safari. Their schedule in March is open right now. I'm looking to get a 2-day wahoo trip together on March 23, which is a full moon. Obviously this trip would be weather permitting, but if the trip gets scrapped due to weather, Keith gives the option of rescheduling or a getting a full refund.

If anyone is interested hit me up for more details!

-Beau
beaugentry4@yahoo.com
Old 01-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #12
maidendeth13
SLO Cal

Taking the PE exam in mid april so will depend on how that (and work) is going but keep me posted. I'm only 45 min away from freeport and always looking to try and put a wahoo in the freezer!

Cheers

My Gun Build
maidendeth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #13
Weaver

I'm out of Houston and always looking for a trip out to the rigs. If you need an extra let me know.
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 PM   #14
SpearS0CAL
Beau

I had to put the trip on hold until I get my work schedule ironed out. I'm hoping to make it happen before the end of the Bluewater season. I'll keep this thread updated and follow up with anyone that expressed interest.