Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #61
Trautfel

Re: JBL Pole Spear Modification

Great thanks! Is that AB Biller shaft tip better than using a JBL slip tip?
Trautfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #62
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

The AB Biller shaft tip has a finer point than the JBL slip tip, so it takes less band energy and spear momentum to penetrate a fish. Also, it is a double flopper tip which will give you better control on fish. The only reason to go with a slip tip is if you are consistently spearing big fish. You will have to use a 5/16" female to 6mm female adapter to use it with your JBL pole spear.

Now, if you want to use a slip tip, go with a Sea Stinger 3. It has the finest tip of all the pole spear tips and the shaft will thread right on to your JBL pole spear. Since it is such a fine tip, get some spares, so if you dull it on the rocks or reef, you can easily swap it out, then sharpen the dull tips at night to be ready the next day. It is an engineered slip tip system, so if you choose to use it, make sure you understand how it works. A few people have given it bad press, then you find out they didn't use it right, or secure the fish after they speared it. Either way, they blame the equipment instead of themselves.

Here is a pic with the three tips. AB Biller on top, JBL slip tip in the middle, and Sea Stinger slip tip on the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA174222.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	211499

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #63
geofri
Ectothermic member

Just another idea for those without tools or experience metalworking.

Doesn't look as cool as a machined end cap, but it will let you easily add or remove different bands much quicker than the factory set up.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #64
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
Just another idea for those without tools or experience metalworking. Doesn't look as cool as a machined end cap, but it will let you easily add or remove different bands much quicker than the factory set up.
That Is a great idea!!!! Simple, Easy DIY-er. These are the concepts divers look for in going thru forums.

Thanks for Posting.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:19 AM   #65
Trautfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
OK, I finally got them done. I had one of you guys waiting from November. Better late than never.

I hate de-burring parts. De-burring seems to take longer than actually making the parts. I'm finally going to buy one of those slick tools for de-burring the inside of a cross drilled hole. I got 400 of those holes to do next for a Industrial Lamp holder in Movie market.

I'm sure Aaron has a few of these in this stash.

I ordered one from your ebay store a few years back and it worked great. I would like to order a spare one. Couldnt find it on ebay and Im hoping you are still making them. Best regards!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #66
Trautfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoTastic View Post
Tie your own bands, in place, to get the maximum band stretch using 1/2" outside diameter (13mm) with 1/8" inside diameter latex tubing cut to 3:1 stretch ratio (100% static band + 200% elongation) and your JBL pole spear will come alive. This will give you ~55 pounds of band force. If that is too much, use the 1/2" (13mm) outside diameter with 1/4" inside diameter latex tubing cut to the same 3:1 stretch ratio to get ~45 pounds of band force.

Add a 12" AB Biller Shaft Tip http://www.abbiller.com/products/spear-points-tips/ and you will have a serious fish killer. I have the double flopper version with the 1/2" band setup on my 6 ft JBL pole spear and it slams fish hard.
Best advice I ever received.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #67
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
Cant i just epoxy one of these into the end of the unthreaded one piece pole? After cutting off the oval section. They should have the same dimensions.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #68
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefShark View Post
Cant i just epoxy one of these into the end of the unthreaded one piece pole? After cutting off the oval section. They should have the same dimensions.
I'm still out of stock on that part. Been behind all summer, the Santa Rosa Fire Storm cost me a week as passed by my home.

I would assume it will NOT fit the taper version. I've not made a version for the taper, no info on the sizing.

The size will change depending on how much is cut off as well.

Had you considered stuffing some tapered wine corks in there with glue?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #69
ReefShark
Jay

When i checked your website i saw that they were on backorder. I really thought i was gonna get away with gluing that piece in...

I can most likely make it work but its maybe not necessary.

I saw the post about the wine cork and i will be trying that as soon as i get the pole.

I also came across was Aaron Crist used to make for that pole but it seems like he doesn't make them anymore. I PM'd him about it, still waiting for a response.

Sent from my BLU DASH M using Tapatalk