Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
FredT

Re: Steel 100's

The last question to tie them down is the OD of the tank. To get diameter if you don't have big enough calipers just measure circumference just below the shoulder with a tape and divide by 3.14. Worthington 100s come in a 7" and 8" diameter. Buoyancy of the two flavors are about the same but overall height and trim requirements differ significantly. As an example my wife trims out well with an 8'' dia 100, but I trim out better with 7" dia 119 tanks.

As an alternative simply post the roll mark. All the data is encoded there.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Mverick160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Son View Post
steel HP's usually don't have yoke valves. Most 3442 have the convertible one that use an insert, possibly that's what these have? If they're worthington's they should. Fabers are usually or maybe always white, mine are & I've never seen one that isn't. Worthington I think normally are galvanized.

Just trying to figure out what he's got here. For used the price seems a bit high to me, but then I haven't been shopping for any in a while. It may not be, used 3442 100's seem hard to come by, people like them so much they just don't sell them often. I'd like 3 more if I can find good enough deals.

I have 7 faber 100 HP's that are all black. They are older though. And I have 4 white and 4 of there white HP 80's. I also bought them all new.

Funny you say that you'd like more if they are Fabers. I love them, but a lot of the DIR crowd chastised the 100hp Faber back in the day's. I bought mine new for cheap because nobody else would buy them because of what those morons said. One guy arguing with me about what they weighed. And I had 4 of them at the time. He was about 20lbs off there weight. Now, on Duals I agree, they are a little heavy even for Drysuit. But otherwise I love them with singles and a large suit. Less weight on my belt.

We'll just leave it at that..LOL.. Don't need to point anyone or site out..
Mverick160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
ChiliDiver

Fred,

I am pretty sure they are 7.25. The fit in my 8" PVC tank rack exactly the same as AL80's. Definitely aren't 8 inch.
ChiliDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

I'm not married to fabers. I dive 3 faber fx-117's which are short fat tanks that I got a screaming deal on. my wife has 1 faber fx-100 and 1 pst e7-100. I'd like to get at least 3 more 3442 100's regardless of manufacture.

FWIW, the PST 100 is shorter than the faber & slightly more bouyant.

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #20
Mverick160

Quote:
I'm not married to fabers. I dive 3 faber fx-117's which are short fat tanks that I got a screaming deal on. my wife has 1 faber fx-100 and 1 pst e7-100. I'd like to get at least 3 more 3442 100's regardless of manufacture.

FWIW, the PST 100 is shorter than the faber & slightly more bouyant.
The PST is right at the same height for the tank. Your valve might be a little different height.

The weighting MT is 6pds heavier on land and In water it's 6lbs more negative for the faber.

I have one or two of the PST HP 100's and one of the PST 80's too. Also 6LP 108's, 4LP 98, 6 old steel 72's, 2 lP 121's, 15 aluminum luxfer 80's, 1 catalina 80, 8 lp 3 liter fabers 4 2liter lp fabers, 8 aluminum 13's, 6 luxfer al 40's. I'm sure some others floating around as when I go look I always forget I owned one or two.. Total was over 60 tanks.

If you are buying because you like Faber. Stick with it. Keeps your weight belt the same. If you like others, Stick with them. Reason for all the small tanks, Megladon, IDA72, Ida71, Homebuild rebreathers. Big tanks, Tech diving and wanted extra sets to mix my own gas for deep.

A set of 121's on you is a lot of weight. It's why I bought the Meg. Back surgery. But 1 121 on a cave fill and a al 80 bailout bottle. Is a pretty nice little rig. But I would usually dive the Meg. I now use the to fill lift bags a lot. LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #21
Wayward Son

might be the boot, I've not compared them without boots on. With boots on, the faber shoulder is noticeably higher than the PST.

I did 3 shallow water dives last week, max depth 17FSW. 2 with the faber, the last with the PST. Otherwise identical gear & weights. I had zero buoyancy issues with the faber, with the PST I started getting light at about 1500 psi.

It prolly would not be noticeable on deeper dives where the suit gets compressed more.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #22
Mverick160

Quote:
might be the boot, I've not compared them without boots on. With boots on, the faber shoulder is noticeably higher than the PST.

I did 3 shallow water dives last week, max depth 17FSW. 2 with the faber, the last with the PST. Otherwise identical gear & weights. I had zero buoyancy issues with the faber, with the PST I started getting light at about 1500 psi.

It prolly would not be noticeable on deeper dives where the suit gets compressed more.
Yep, unless you get low on air while you have some deco you still need to complete. I did that with 2 tanks. Held onto the anchor line to hold my butt down. That was from a 121 to a 108. Which is supposed to only be 1lb difference. I was fine with the 108 on a previous dive. Accidently grabbed my 121 instead of another 108 and it was floating me. Didn't think there was that much difference. I was wrong. LOL

I like the heavy tanks to take weight off my belt. I just want enough on my belt to get me up if everything hits the fan. So, I weight for that. You can also add lead to the tanks with straps. That way when you dump your belt you don't dump a huge amount and rocket to the surface.

But, not at 17ft. LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #23
Wayward Son

most of the time late in that dive (1:54 BT) was spent at 12 FSW or less. Buoyancy gets much more twitchy real shallow. I was able to manage it but wished I'd had an extra 2lbs on me. Will try to remember that for these tanks.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #24
Wayward Son

sorry, we're detracting from the guys efforts to sell his tanks.

from the description, it sounds like 2 Worthington 3442 steel 100's / convertible valves, with an asking price of $275 each. Full of nitrox & in hydro, though a VIP may be due now or soon based on age.

And they're in Panama City for divers in the area to have local pickup.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #25
PatMyGreen
Panama City Diving

Thats a fair price, we sell them retail for $75 more than that and have to add sales tax on top. VIP cost $10, Hydro costs $30 every 5 years... so 30/5=$6 for the one year out of hydro, pretty much nil risk on failing a hydro on new HP steels, so you are really looking at depreciation on the value of the valve for 1 years use..... a valve which you can get new for $50. Lets assume you never rebuild and just buy a new one when the rubber parts start to go and to be really conservative say that happens after 5 years, another $10. So I'd knock $25 bucks off retail and figure out a $ value for the unlikely risk of a hydro failure in 4 years, and knock that off retail....

I'd be asking $275 too if those were my tanks for sale. Not a "screaming deal" but its a fair price.
PatMyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote