Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
I drive planes

New to Washington lookin for friends

Hey all,
Just moved to Whitney island from Texas and was hoping shoot some fish. I have been snooping around the forum for awhile and have been trying to absorb some info. I can't find a whole lot of info for Washington that is super recent, is it there more shellfish collecting than spearfishing going on? I saw some post where scuba divers try and shun people who take fish even if done legally. Also, what is going on with the fishing laws in this state? They are the most overwhelmingly confusing thing I have ever seen!! Haha anyways, hope to hear from y'all and get back into the water sooon.
-Mark
I drive planes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
264win
My name is Adam

Re: New to Washington lookin for friends

Hi Mark,
Welcome to Spear board ( and Whidbey Island ).
The spearing is limited around Whidbey,but better if you can make it out to the coast.

Pm sent with more info
264win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
SeaHunter3

Re: New to Washington lookin for friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by I drive planes View Post
Hey all,
Just moved to Whitney island from Texas and was hoping shoot some fish. I have been snooping around the forum for awhile and have been trying to absorb some info. I can't find a whole lot of info for Washington that is super recent, is it there more shellfish collecting than spearfishing going on? I saw some post where scuba divers try and shun people who take fish even if done legally. Also, what is going on with the fishing laws in this state? They are the most overwhelmingly confusing thing I have ever seen!! Haha anyways, hope to hear from y'all and get back into the water sooon.
-Mark

Hey mark!

Washington has some awesome spearfishing, but there is definitely a few things you need to know.

Inside the puget sound you are pretty much out of luck. Im pretty sure rockfish are protected year round in every marine area, and ling cod season is normally about 2 weeks in early summer which is also when the algae blooms and viz can literally drop to <1ft. We do have generous crab seasons, and flounder and all varieties of perch are open year round in most places. Things get MUCH easier once you get out onto the straits of Juan De Fuca and the Pacific coast. The best example of this is Neah Bay, in Marine Area 4. Out there rockfish is open year round with a HUGE daily limit, and lingcod is open 6 months out of the year. Not only that, but 9/10 of the kelp beds are loaded with fish, and visbility can be tropical even during summer time. It is definitely worth the 3.5 hour drive, and is probably some of the best shore diving you can get on the west coast of the US.

You mentioned SCUBA divers, and think thats something we often forget to address on here. In the sound, especially around Seattle, some spots have been unofficially designated as marine parks. It is 100% legal for you to spear on these sites, but it will also mean running the risk of slashed tires and shattered windows. Alki Beach, Keystone Jetty, Redondo Beach and a few others come to mind. Just steer clear of them.

PM me if you have any more questions! Im always stoked to help newcomers to the area!
SeaHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote