Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 05-03-2016, 01:52 AM   #1
SurfNSpear365

Anyone wanna split gas and dive offshore Thursday?

Howdy, my name's Marshall. I'm 25 now and deckhanded for years as a kid and teenager but moved to California about five years ago to surf and have been there off and on ever since. While there, I did quite a bit of shore diving for reef fish, halibut, and sea bass, but my experience offshore here is limited to one time spearfishing- shot about a dozen mangroves 22-28" and a 30lb barracuda. Well, I finally got my own captain's license and am taking over my dad's charter service running out of Freeport on a 30' Rampage but I don't get to fish or dive myself as much as I'd like.

About this time last year, when I was here over the summer decking, there was a close rig loaded with big AJ's. They were so thick you couldn't catch bait off the rig without them eating every single blue runner you hooked. I went through a lot of sabiki rigs... Now, I've yet to run my first trip of the season (canceled both of the ones i had booked over the weekend due to weather) I don't for sure if they're there again this year and I'm a little concerned about visibility with all this rain recently, but it's worth a shot and if the forecast holds, it'll be a pretty nice day to find out. I figure if they're not on the rig, we can hop around the other four or five nearby rigs looking for ling or whatever else is around or if the visibility is poor we can drop a live bait and catch em that way.

The boat is diesel and gets pretty decent fuel burn- around .75miles per gallon so a trip out to the rig I have in mind wouldn't break the bank. Fuel burn should be well under 100gallons. Last year we were doing 130gallons on two back-to-back trips to this rig combined so I'm guessing around 70-80 gallons or less.

Looks like forecast is calling for "w winds < 10knots and 0-1' seas" so I'm itching to get out. I don't know any other divers in the area and, as I'm fairly inexperienced diving offshore, having someone else tag along is necessary. Besides, I wouldn't be keen on diving solo offshore regardless of how experienced I was- solo diving the kelp back in CA was sketchy enough. If someone wants to join for safety's sake and to split gas costs, you're more than welcome to do so. I shoot a 110cm reel gun so someone to do one-up-one-down's with and provide a back-up shot on a potentially big fish would be ideal. Also, it would be cool to make a couple spearo friends in the area as I'd like to do trips like this whenever the seas are calm and I don't have a trip booked.

PM me if interested.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
JDSapp

Re: Anyone wanna split gas and dive offshore Thursday?

Welcome back to Tx. If you get any weekend trips or possibly a Friday I would join you. There are a lot of guys in the greater Houston area so you will make some dive buddies fast.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
alejqandrocosmo
Alejandro

Welcome! I sent you a pm
alejqandrocosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
I drive planes

I tried sending you a PM but don't know if it worked, also put a message on your profile, hope to see ya!
Mark
I drive planes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Hey Marshall, sorry im late to the party, but im in Galveston and would love to get together sometime and shoot some fish. nice looking bag yall had yesterday if you go out next week feel free to shoot me a text.

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
jcal87

Howdy Marshall, are you an Aggie? I am in the same boat you're. I just moved back to Texas from Cali. If you ever need someone to go spearing with please let me know. I am a Fii certified freediver and love spearing. I have no problem splitting gas and ill even buy your lunch.

Bleu Tec 100 Bastard
Bleu Tec 145 Ocean Born

Instagram: Aggiejcal
jcal87 is offline   Reply With Quote