Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
greensleaves

SIPE - ever had it?

Went swimming the other day in the Mission Bay channel. After about a mile, there was a lot of phlegm and saliva and I was tasting blood so I spat in my hand and sure enough, bloody spit. I climbed up the rocks, got dressed and tested a few more times with the same bloody sputum. Now, I go out in shorts and no suit, water temp 60 degrees so it is cold. Went home and Googled "cold water swimming spitting up blood" and came right up on SIPE: swimming induced pulmonary edema. I'd never heard of it but it concerns me as a free diving spearfisher. I went swimming today - a week later, and it was just fine...meaning, no blood. The one thing I did that I think caused it was to drink lots of water right before getting in which, combined with vasoconstriction from the cold, forced the fluids and blood out of the alveoli. As for full blown edema, I had none of the symptoms so I stayed home but was ready to go to the hospital. Check it out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimmi...ulmonary_edema
greensleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Captn Ron
Long Beach Neptune

Re: SIPE - ever had it?

very interesting. Never heard of this
Old 12-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Captn Ron
Long Beach Neptune

avoidance of excessive hydration before diving is advisable......
Old 12-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Sanny

have you had your blood pressure/ heart checked lately? failing a spit check is some serious stuff. I hope you get the cause sorted out- excessive blood pressure caused by ? I doubt its just water consumption. Good luck brotha.
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
joshrau

Send a message via AIM to joshrau

Op: it wasn't just from your sinuses? Because that is fairly common, especially with us freedivers, since our ascent and descent is much faster than when scuba diving and done many more times in a row:

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/m..._Sinus_Squeeze
joshrau is offline   Reply With Quote