Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

White Shark Sightings below Santa Barbara

….At least 8 separate sightings this week near Summerland, of great whites, both large and small near shore. Two by lifeguards and 6 or 7 by the Coast Guard. One female swimmer bit on foot while swimming 50 yards off a beach. She said all she saw was a large triangular fin.
...Our red tides may prove to be a blessing, then, again...….? Me, I am tracking the continuous warm water path south to north, and looking at the chances of bluefin out by San Clemente island along the blue/green edges....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
PigStikr
The Stalker

Re: White Shark Sightings below Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
….At least 8 separate sightings this week near Summerland, of great whites, both large and small near shore. Two by lifeguards and 6 or 7 by the Coast Guard. One female swimmer bit on foot while swimming 50 yards off a beach. She said all she saw was a large triangular fin.
...Our red tides may prove to be a blessing, then, again...….? Me, I am tracking the continuous warm water path south to north, and looking at the chances of bluefin out by San Clemente island along the blue/green edges....
Thresher and Mako pretty tasty, anybody ever try whites? I hear they are better than Rhino horn, maybe the Chinese would be interested?
BTW, this should scare you. A white shark can go something like 35 mph in a burst.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
StukNotAnchored

Thinking of big sharks coming after me makes the weenie not work. The blood goes to all the kicking muscles instead.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Moonshine

Amazing how many GW sightings up here don't make the news.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
mfarrell

We've been going to padaro/santa clause lane for last several weeks. 3 weeks ago we saw several juvenile gws swimming up and down the beach for about 5 hours. It was one of those epic santa Barbara beach days with no wind, stayed until sunset. The sharks were still there when we left. Large triangular dorsal, stiff tail breaking the surface behind, from little 4 footers to larger 8 foot+ models. Verified by coast guard, paddle boarders and the shark tracker guys were there with their equipment van. Never seen that before but an older local guy told me they come every year.
mfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
open2blue

Here is some cool footage from up north here. about a mile from where the surfer passed last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mBcrVYP9A
awesome footage!
open2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
swanny

GWS and seals needs to be taken off the endangered species list
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
PigStikr
The Stalker

Anchovies just aren't the same as they were 50 million years ago.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
SCreefhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Not in SB, but we had a surfer killed up here in Santa Cruz last week. Over the last 5 years we've seen a dramatic increase in juvenile GWS, leading to many more encounters from divers and paddlers. There have been some large residents up here for decades, but the population increase of smaller ones (6-10' range) has been mind blowing. My son and I walk out to the bluff by our house and can point out 1-3 sharks within minutes of standing there (all within 30 yards of the beach). We watched two of them hunt a harbor seal onto the beach - where the seal smartly hauled out. The juvenile GWS are normally seen over sandy areas, rich with halibut and stingrays - their main food source. I have a friend who is a bait seiner up here in the Monterey Bay. Over the last few years, he will have sets where there are 15-20 juvenile GWS that end up either needing to be rolled, or simply bite their way out of his net. As these sharks are getting bigger, they are transitioning from flatfish/rays to mammals, and accidentally hitting humans. Hopefully the vast majority of them head out into the open ocean and don't come back haha.
SCreefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:38 AM   #10
PigStikr
The Stalker

I hear GWS makes tastier sashimi than whale or bluefin, and thnk about the sharkfin soup. In Japan they don't recognize a lot of the enlightened preservation efforts. I also hear that white shark teeth are an aphrodisiac better than rhino horn. China hasn't been the best at preservation either.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #11
Scuba Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
I hear GWS makes tastier sashimi than whale or bluefin, and thnk about the sharkfin soup. In Japan they don't recognize a lot of the enlightened preservation efforts. I also hear that white shark teeth are an aphrodisiac better than rhino horn. China hasn't been the best at preservation either.

Tastes kind of like a mixture of Garibaldi and Bald Eagle ..
Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
mfarrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCreefhunter View Post
Not in SB, but we had a surfer killed up here in Santa Cruz last week. Over the last 5 years we've seen a dramatic increase in juvenile GWS, leading to many more encounters from divers and paddlers. There have been some large residents up here for decades, but the population increase of smaller ones (6-10' range) has been mind blowing. My son and I walk out to the bluff by our house and can point out 1-3 sharks within minutes of standing there (all within 30 yards of the beach). We watched two of them hunt a harbor seal onto the beach - where the seal smartly hauled out. The juvenile GWS are normally seen over sandy areas, rich with halibut and stingrays - their main food source. I have a friend who is a bait seiner up here in the Monterey Bay. Over the last few years, he will have sets where there are 15-20 juvenile GWS that end up either needing to be rolled, or simply bite their way out of his net. As these sharks are getting bigger, they are transitioning from flatfish/rays to mammals, and accidentally hitting humans. Hopefully the vast majority of them head out into the open ocean and don't come back haha.
Yep. Unfortunately we all know they are here to stay and live a long time. Makes open blue water hunting more appealing than green coastal murk looking for wsb, also one of their favorite "transitional" food souces lol.
mfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
Old sayings. Heads blown off and guts torn open evidence stays on the bottom. Deaths at sea remain at sea.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #14
SCreefhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrell View Post
Yep. Unfortunately we all know they are here to stay and live a long time. Makes open blue water hunting more appealing than green coastal murk looking for wsb, also one of their favorite "transitional" food souces lol.
I've read a lot of research papers on them, and the overwhelming majority of tagged 'mature' fish head for the open sea. But who knows - in our lifetime we haven't seen this many adolescent gws at one time.
SCreefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #15
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCreefhunter View Post
I've read a lot of research papers on them, and the overwhelming majority of tagged 'mature' fish head for the open sea. But who knows - in our lifetime we haven't seen this many adolescent gws at one time.
More seals and sea-lions, more food, more sharks.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote