Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #1501
Npfreediver

Re: Malibu Conditions Permathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gneckermann View Post
Don't know how far you've got to drive, but you may want to call someone (or the Zuma tower) for a conditions check before you head out. Supposed to get kinda rough between now and 6a tomorrow AM.
Yeah I was afraid of that, thanks a lot man, well time to get some beers
Npfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #1502
mmc1800

We went out yesterday (Sunday) for about half an hour at around noon, east of Dume. Was pretty clear I would say 10-15 vis and that is about how much water we were in, maybe 20' at times - could almost make out the rocks/grass on the bottom but could see the bait fish in the rocks as soon as you started to head down. There was some surf (3-4 feet or so?) to get through on the way out and a stronger surge than there has been.

Lots of little reef/bait fish - a few too short calico's. Speared a 12" black surf perch, wasn't sure what that was going to taste like (have seen various reports here) but I thought it was good - cooked it simple in some butter and garlic. Not a huge amount of meat on that would need a few to make a decent meal.

Was my sons first time trying to get through some waves on the way out with gear on, so that was fun. We only had half an hour, but better to get in a quick one than not.
mmc1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #1503
malibujohn

nice report! glad you and your son charged it, I just sat my ass down and watched football all day! pretty good nw swell wrapping now and its pretty milky to 1/4 mile out-but outside that!! Blue, Blue water! East malibu
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #1504
Danyanimal

Anyone got a report for today? Heading out tomorrow and hoping for nice conditions.
Danyanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #1505
mikenator5000

Just south of Malibu last night was ~5-10' vis. and workable. Looks like swell is picking up a little though.
mikenator5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #1506
tothewater

Anyone up for bug hunting tonight or tomorrow night? Anything north of zuma is fine with me. If you got a kayak, i'll bring mine too.text 818threezeroseven8845 if interested.
tothewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 AM   #1507
davidiskol

vis in north malibu was pretty decent dove at around 1 to 4 pm. hazy 10 to 15 feet. lots of bait swimming
davidiskol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #1508
Sam-o
Too Optimistic

Anyone dive Leo area today?
Sam-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #1509
mmc1800

We went out East of Dume today - amazing viz before/around noon - no surf, tide was basically high all day (only moved 2 feet in 11 hours). Have not seen the water so clear - it was amazing. Bait everywhere quite a few decent reef fish around, we were in about 15-20 feet of water, could see the bottom clearly 30-40 feet away. Went out again about 2:30-3 and the wind was starting to pick up, there was a haze in the water but the viz was still really good probably 15-20 could make the fish out on the bottom from the surface no problem just not also on the bottom 40 feet away like earlier in the day.

[** report over - the rest is shit about how our day went and new equipment we were trying to use **]

Getting used to some new gear, working on getting the weights right for the new wetsuits. I broke down and bought some weights from Malibu Divers, they gave me a bit of a discount because I was complaining about the prices but still very pricey - nice people though - want to support local business even though it was a bit more. Will probably still need some more for my daughter, she wasn't with us today.

We have new 3mm full one piece suits (IST) with hoods and boots, we got some nice gloves with kevlar but they were too slippery to hold the poles (need grip tape I guess?) so we are still wearing the promar lobster gloves which work fine but of course are not made for being in the water exactly but they seem to be holding up great. My son used 9 pounds of weight (5% of his body weight) and I used 12 (5% of my body weight - don't do the math I am a fat ass or a body builder you decide). We were not floating on top well and seemed overweight so we went back in and dropped 3 pounds each, which put us at 6 and 9, and that seemed perfect. I heard the test was we should just float when floating vertical on an exhale, that worked out to where I felt like I was hitting neutral at just about 20 feet which is what we were shooting for. Might be some fine tuning in the future, but that seemed to be perfect.

We are trying to get some kinks worked out with our spears/tips etc. - it was really an amazing day wish we could have concentrated more on the fish. Had the largest Calico bass I have seen shake its way off the stupid cheap paralyzer tip I was using even though I speared him solid. I am working tonight with a hack saw and a file, I am going to make it harder to get off that thing. Sucks loosing that fish (probably sucked for him as well) we are also going to work on getting some better tips for the new spear, maybe a slip tip or a flopper, needs something that doesn't completely disintegrate when it hits a rock (if there is such a thing). The one cheap pole we have has no removable tip, so I am going to file/hack some barbs into it and use it until the tip breaks and throw it away, I have caught several fish with it but it needs some barbs and resistance or the bigger ones can wiggle off.

We also picked up a new spear a Cressi two piece aluminium 6' with a 5 barbed tip paralyzer style - seems like a solid decent pole and the 5 tips and barbs look like it will hold on to a fish, but I bent the tip all to hell on a rock hiding under the sand on the first shot I took with it (so will also be working to get that straightened out and sharpened back up). At least this pole has a removable 6mm standard fitting so we can try some different tips. If I had that in my hand when I hit that calico I would be frying it up instead of posting this message, but it was one of those days.

All in all I would put today up for the most beautiful day of the year at least before 2pm, and the sunset was absolutely stunning.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #1510
Danyanimal

I've all but given up on Leo. Every time I head out there, the vis is shit and getting in and out is brutal. Maybe you guys know something I don't, but I'm not getting what you guys see out there.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #1511
Danyanimal

mmc1800: Did you dive at *the spot* or your regular place?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #1512
mmc1800

Yup first time at the spot. Was really nice.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #1513
gneckermann
Grant

Send a message via Yahoo to gneckermann

0-100' viz today on the east end. Nope, not a typo, craziest thing. Entered to 5'> viz around 9:30, around 11:30 an absolutely ripping current brought in crystal clean water and it was just like flipping a light switch, top to bottom high def viz in 30' of water. Tons of barracuda, 4-5lb calico, whitefish, etc... Hung out for a couple of hours waiting for a YT to show up, never happened. Still an incredible day to be in the water.
gneckermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #1514
newbiee1987

I'm calling it bs lol.... i was 100 steps from the water... and it looked amazing....
newbiee1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:31 AM   #1515
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyanimal View Post
I've all but given up on Leo. Every time I head out there, the vis is shit and getting in and out is brutal. Maybe you guys know something I don't, but I'm not getting what you guys see out there.
Its dope you just have to figure it out for yourself. Nobody is gonna paint you a map of their spots.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote