Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Fish4sale
Registered User
 
Fish4sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 147
Advice on spearfishing alone

So I've recently picked up spearfishing/freediving and absolutely love it. But I've been unable to find a buddy that can go as much as i do or who is at the same level. I volunteer at an aquarium and many of the experienced spearfishing guys say it's ok as long as I don't push it beyond my limit. As a result, I've been going alone.

I dive to a max depth of 30ft for about 45 seconds. I never hyperventilate and keep a surface time double of my dive time.

With all the information out there about blackouts, I am curious as to how many of you dive alone and what can be done to prevent blacking outs when diving alone?

I looked into the freediving courses and although i would like to go, it is a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks.
Fish4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!
 
spearhunter11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: clearwater,fl
Age: 33
Posts: 758
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

First and fore most u shouldn't dive alone but since you do I don't think there is a way to stop it just happens, u should make a will and get life insurance, or just find a buddy to your caliber to watch your back. Be safe dude !!
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
TueLePoisson
Sponsor
 
TueLePoisson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sarasota, FL
Age: 31
Posts: 524
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

I used to dive alone some, then my GF put a stop to that! That being said, its actually a very serene experience, especially if you're far enough from land to hear nothing but the ocean; I really enjoyed it. If you're going to dive alone make sure you have all the proper safety gear, make sure someone knows where you will be and until what time, and lastly make sure you understand that diving alone increases the likelihood of something going wrong.
__________________
-Harrison-
TueLePoisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Diablo Loco
Registered User
 
Diablo Loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Age: 50
Posts: 4,972
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4sale View Post
So I've recently picked up spearfishing/freediving and absolutely love it. But I've been unable to find a buddy that can go as much as i do or who is at the same level. I volunteer at an aquarium and many of the experienced spearfishing guys say it's ok as long as I don't push it beyond my limit. As a result, I've been going alone.

I dive to a max depth of 30ft for about 45 seconds. I never hyperventilate and keep a surface time double of my dive time.

With all the information out there about blackouts, I am curious as to how many of you dive alone and what can be done to prevent blacking outs when diving alone?

I looked into the freediving courses and although i would like to go, it is a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks.
Where do you live? What county and state?
__________________
Bryan Mabrey

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer



"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Fish4sale
Registered User
 
Fish4sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 147
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

I live in city of Torrance, Los Angeles.
Fish4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.
 
speargunhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: everywhere
Posts: 2,632
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

advice on spearfishing alone..Dont. find u a buddy.
__________________
"Living to Dive another day is a good thing"




For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
BleedtheGills
Lets go Dive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Clemente
Age: 28
Posts: 199
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

Sure you can find some ppl in PV to dive with. If you ever dive laguna let me know. I dove alone today and do it Quite often. Its peaceful and I feel no pressure to land a fish. I pulled the trigger once today and missed. But all in all there's nothin like exploring new spots. I think I have more fun alone. Unless it's on a boat. When I go with ppl were all spread out anyways...sure I feel more confident knowing someones in the water with me, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
BleedtheGills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
AndrewK
Registered User
 
AndrewK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Downeast
Age: 29
Posts: 3,529
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

Id advise against it... Find a buddy even if its a friend that can just snorkel with you and keep an eye on ya.
__________________
Coastie

RIP Nate 6/08/14... "Putmeincoach"
AndrewK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
mepps1
Registered User
 
mepps1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gillette, WY
Age: 41
Posts: 5,910
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

I go out alone more often than not. In the kind of viz most of us hunt , a buddy is more likely for body recovery than for life saving. Hedge your bets any way you can. You might survive a mishap, but you probably will not survive panic.

Have fun. Be careful.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
fishstew
Registered User
 
fishstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 235
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

I am pretty new to spearfishing and although I try to dive with a buddy as often as I can, I only have one friend who likes to go with me so I also end up going alone sometimes. I live in Long Beach and I have been diving mostly in Laguna Beach but if you guys are looking for someone to dive with sometime send me a PM.
fishstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Joe.A
KayakFisherman
 
Joe.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 360
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

Increase your surface interval to 3 mins and concentrate on relaxing before the dive. You can't spend too much time on the surface relaxing.

I also carry a large insurance policy to put the kids through school. Never know when Jaws or a boat is going to ruin your weekend. It's not just SWB.
Joe.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
UaVaj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SouthEast Florida
Posts: 825
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
I go out alone more often than not. In the kind of viz most of us hunt , a buddy is more likely for body recovery than for life saving. Hedge your bets any way you can. You might survive a mishap, but you probably will not survive panic.

Have fun. Be careful.
Given the poor vis out of cali. That is no joke.

Just listen to your body. Regardless what is at the bottom. When it is time to breathe. Do NOT ignore it. Head straight for the surface and you will be fine.

Safe than sorry.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
2012iffy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to 2012iffy
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TueLePoisson View Post
I used to dive alone some, then my GF put a stop to that! That being said, its actually a very serene experience, especially if you're far enough from land to hear nothing but the ocean; I really enjoyed it. If you're going to dive alone make sure you have all the proper safety gear, make sure someone knows where you will be and until what time, and lastly make sure you understand that diving alone increases the likelihood of something going wrong.
Sorry, new guy here, but diving alone does NOT increase the likelihood of something going wrong, it only eliminates anyone there to help you when it does. Please don't do it and if you must, take out a reasonable insurance policy and I will forward the info you will need to put me as the beneficiary! I could use a new sailboat!
2012iffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor
 
flamencoguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jupiter/West Palm Beach, Florida
Posts: 2,789
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

Don't dive alone.... NO MATTER WHAT!!!! Find a local club or something. Take a class the soonest chance you get!!

PEace, Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
Keysdivers
keysdivers
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Marathon,Florida Keys
Posts: 805
Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

Don't know much about freedivers, but scuba spearos usually dive solo. Just because there are more than one diver on the boat does not constitute "buddy diving". We very seldom see the other guys/girls once we hit the water.
Keysdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com