Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

Re: what will happend to our gun rights?

*sigh*

you do know that we aren't talking about automatic assault rifles, don't you?

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Wayward Son

as to what will happen, our rights are coming under attack & we're about to have one hell of a fight over them.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #18
ocean_314

Ban the violent video games that train these kids to commit mass murder from the tender age of ????

Lets for once deal with the real problem.

Oh but wait Hollywood is the second largest contributor to the Democratic Party.....hmmm ok so the problem with not be dealt with or even talking about.

Gun owners and that industry vote Republican and support the Republican Party so lets not deal with the problem and destroy the gun industry...and hurt the Republican Party.....

Good Democrats they really care about this country and the kids that are getting destroyed by Hollywood....
ocean_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti View Post
Simon sez:
you don't really need an assault rifle at home. A rifle okay, a shotgun okay. A handgun okay. A huge collection of rifles, shotguns and handguns okay.
But an automatic assault rifle or a .50 sniper rifle in every house is not okay.

You-don't-really-need-it-at-all.
You wanna tell me how fast i can drive? How much horsepower is "enough power" ???? How many mcdoubles can i put down in one day???

Clearly by your nomenclature, you have no idea what you are talking about, so thinking YOU can decide which guns are dangerous by what you hear on TV is ridiculous.

Ar15s are fun ass guns, ammo is cheap, tons of flavors, and if you get a colt it will never malfunction lol (gun guys get it). When I'm breaking in a newb with their first shots down range, the 223 is my go to. Its loud as hell but very simple (to operate), barely kicks, and like i said, fun as all get out so its sure to hook them.

On the other side, me and my LONG TIME shooting buddies are very active in "long range" "precision" shooting. I have evolved from a 308 to a 300 win mag and now shoot a 338 lapua magnum much to my wallets discontent. I have my eye on a single shot 50 bmg because 700 grain bullets sound like a hell of alot of fun to me, its my thing, I'm into long range paper punching. I like reloading and setting up the chrono too so who the hell are you to tell me i cant smoke something or drink something... or own something i have every damn right to.

You cant legislate morality.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #20
Wayward Son

I'd really like a 50BMG. Problem is, aside from cost, I've never had a place where I could shoot one & stretch it out.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Burg John. Sorry but I don't find the response of AR 15s are fun is a rational argument as to why have one. And yes society does tell you how fast you can drive. Your rights go only as far as they infringe upon others.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti View Post
Simon sez:
you don't really need an assault rifle at home. A rifle okay, a shotgun okay. A handgun okay. A huge collection of rifles, shotguns and handguns okay.
But an automatic assault rifle or a .50 sniper rifle in every house is not okay.

You-don't-really-need-it-at-all.
I'm not really sure what you intend to convey. You are aware that the "nasty looking" firearms most people own in the US are not "automatic", but semi-automatic, no? Technically, this means they are not even assault weapons, since true assault weapons have select fire capability. You can own automatic weapons in the US, but it's much more hassle than most people care to undergo. And it's expensive.

And why all the concern about (so-called) assault weapons? In the first place, most media reports claim that the perp's semi-auto rifle was found unused out in his mother's car (in the school shooting).

Aside from all this, a rifle is hardly the best choice for mass killing. Neither is a pistol, for that matter. Best option for highest body count would be a shotgun loaded with 00 buck. Generally, this is the most reliable of arms as well, and it needs never have an empty chamber during the killing spree.

As for .50 caliber arms; I suppose one has been used for a crime at some point in American history. But I don't know when. It's not particularly suitable for any shooting spree. They weigh more than a small anvil. The ammo is huge, bulky, and expensive. The guns themselves are rare and expensive. And there are other calibers just as deadly.

Why ban a gun which no criminal uses?
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
And why all the concern about (so-called) assault weapons? In the first place, most media reports claim that the perp's semi-auto rifle was found unused out in his mother's car (in the school shooting).
I don't know which one's your reading, but the ones I'm reading quote a state police Lt as saying that the Bushmaster was what he used in the school, and then a pistol to shoot himself in the head.

And he had multiple 30-round magazines. Is there really a justification for magazines like that other than killing people fast before law enforcement can arrive?
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
I don't know which one's your reading, but the ones I'm reading quote a state police Lt as saying that the Bushmaster was what he used in the school, and then a pistol to shoot himself in the head.

And he had multiple 30-round magazines. Is there really a justification for magazines like that other than killing people fast before law enforcement can arrive?
The news reports have been conflicting, which seems odd. I don't know which way it went.

As for the magazines; Hell yes there is good reason for having 30 rd magazines. They are for killing people fast before law enforcement arrives. Why is that presumed evil?
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #25
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
Burg John. Sorry but I don't find the response of AR 15s are fun is a rational argument as to why have one. And yes society does tell you how fast you can drive. Your rights go only as far as they infringe upon others.
Its what I as a free American chose to do, who are you to tell me no? What gives YOU the right to decide what everyone else can do?

Society made a rational evaluation to decide a speed limit, not watched cnn and thought ar15s are killer machine guns. My point was its the same gun as any other, they all kill so why is that one labeled bad just for working well?

If i wanted to keep it off the bridges then i could still go to the track and drive my car fast, could i keep my 50 as long as i pinky promise to only use it at the range?

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #26
Wayward Son

the reporting on this has been all over the place. He had 2 pistols & a rifle. the rifle was in the car. no, he had 4 pistols & a rifles & used the rifle. no, he had 2 pistols, a rifle & a shotgun.

no, there were 2 pistols & 2 rifles...

our press has never in my life been as sloppy as it is these days.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #27
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg John View Post
Its what I as a free american chose to do, who are you to tell me no? What gives YOU the right to decide what everyone else can do?

Society made a ratioal evaulation to decide a speed limit, not watched cnn and thought ar15s are killer machine guns. My point was its the same gun as any other, they all kill so why is that one labeled bad just for working well?

If i wanted to keep it off the bridges then i could still go to the track and drive my car fast, could i keep my 50 as long as i pinky promise to only use it at the range?
Actually society does tell you what to do. It's called laws. There are quite a number of things people like to do that they can't because the right of the individual has to be weighed against the right of society.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
JP, I agree with "how fast" sediment for the same reasons a you but have trouble swallowing of a dangerous item used for fun safely as not being a rational argument. If it was, the list would be endless as even my 4 iron could take the lifes of many in a 10 minute span given the right environment and use. I guess that is what's driving most of these types of discussions..... People who like guns and gun ownership know that events like this historically draw knee jerk reactions from political leaders looking for a popular answer for a difficult and complex problem. My hope is that our president will take the time to look at all contributing factors and similarities from the most recent tragic events prior to making empty political mandate as others in the past have.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #29
SEATUX

It's a start, probably hopeless, but at least a start...

http://www.avaaz.org/en/nra_enough/?cVZpLab
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #30
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
JP, I agree with "how fast" sediment for the same reasons a you but have trouble swallowing of a dangerous item used for fun safely as not being a rational argument. If it was, the list would be endless as even my 4 iron could take the lifes of many in a 10 minute span given the right environment and use. I guess that is what's driving most of these types of discussions..... People who like guns and gun ownership know that events like this historically draw knee jerk reactions from political leaders looking for a popular answer for a difficult and complex problem. My hope is that our president will take the time to look at all contributing factors and similarities from the most recent tragic events prior to making empty political mandate as others in the past have.
Well said.