Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #31
mepps1

Re: what will happend to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
JP, I agree with "how fast" sediment for the same reasons a you but have trouble swallowing of a dangerous item used for fun safely as not being a rational argument. If it was, the list would be endless as even my 4 iron could take the lifes of many in a 10 minute span given the right environment and use. I guess that is what's driving most of these types of discussions..... People who like guns and gun ownership know that events like this historically draw knee jerk reactions from political leaders looking for a popular answer for a difficult and complex problem. My hope is that our president will take the time to look at all contributing factors and similarities from the most recent tragic events prior to making empty political mandate as others in the past have.

You are the most optimistic person I've ever met.
mepps1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #32
ReefGuy

I haven't been following this the closest (and won't until the responding agency gives a media release), but the reason for all of the conflicting reports is that probably the law enforcement agency responding has not started talking yet. So the media, not content to wait for facts, are publishing every know-it-all's hearsay.

The media has a bandwagon to jump on and an agenda to push, so why wait for all of the facts? They can't sell their product if they don't give minute to minute "updates".

I see this frequently on all kinds of small scale investigations, and this one is by no means small scale.
ReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #33
mepps1

Re: It's a start, probably hopeless, but at least a start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Brilliant. This will surely stop Wayne LaPierre from shooting up all those schools.

Great thing about incidents like this. It sure brings the idiots out of the woodwork. You can recognize them by their irrational belief in legislation being the solution to preemptively stopping crazy and criminally insane people from doing what it is that crazy murderers do.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #34
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
Actually society does tell you what to do. It's called laws. There are quite a number of things people like to do that they can't because the right of the individual has to be weighed against the right of society.
That is very true but only applies to activities that actually infringe on the "rights of society"..... for what this country defines them to be.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #35
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

30 round? Shiiiiiit Ive got 60 and 100 round mags for my ar15, the original 100 rd C-mags with the metal bodies where bad ass, my surefire 60s have worked perfectly for me but Ive read things that make the pmag what lives in the 10 inch. My spare 45 mag holds 14 rds and i have a glock magazine that i can shove 33 rds of 9mm in if i wanted to carry 9mm that is... Why do we need so many bullets??? If you have to ask you haven't been watching the news, they exist already so the bad guys have them and so i want them too.

Plus like bill has said before, i live in st pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	182742  

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
You are the most optimistic person I've ever met.
While I did not vote for him, I truely believe he is an intelligent man with an unlimited amount of resources to help in offering a viable action plan. He has no re-election to worry about leaving a clear path to make solid, well educated decissions. Now is the time for him to lead and prove he is the person he claims to be. I'm not holding my breath, but it is what I praying for to be.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #37
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefGuy View Post
I haven't been following this the closest (and won't until the responding agency gives a media release), but the reason for all of the conflicting reports is that probably the law enforcement agency responding has not started talking yet. So the media, not content to wait for facts, are publishing every know-it-all's hearsay.
I think the state police was one of the responding agencies. Is this good enough?

Quote:
The gunman, Adam Lanza, 20, carried hundreds of bullets when he shot his way into the school and fired a Bushmaster .223 semiautomatic rifle at the children and adults, Connecticut State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance said Sunday. Lanza then shot himself in the head with a Glock 10-millimeter handgun.

"The Bushmaster was used in the school, in its entirety," Vance said.

Lanza carried multiple, high-capacity magazines for the rifle, each with 30 rounds, and multiple magazines for both handguns, with "hundreds of bullets," Vance said. He was also armed with a Sig Sauer pistol. A shotgun, the type of which was not identified, was found in the trunk of his car outside the school.

Before going to the school, Lanza shot his mother in the head multiple times, Vance said. Authorities did not say what type of gun he used on Nancy Lanza, 52.
Or do you want someone of higher rank?
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #38
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
I think the state police was one of the responding agencies. Is this good enough?

Just because you're older than movable type set doesn't mean you need to be crotchety.

I hadn't come across that quote, and all the others stuff was back-and-forth in news reports.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #39
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

it's reported that she owned the bushmaster legally. CT has an "assault weapon" ban that looks much like the difi ban of 1994, which banned zer actual assault weapons.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/gl...aultweapon.htm

Bushmaster is banned by name, so I'm not clear on how she owned it legally unless it was grandfathered in or some such.

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #40
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
Just because you're older than movable type set doesn't mean you need to be crotchety.
Yeah I do. Its a requirement for membership in the club.

Quote:
I hadn't come across that quote, and all the others stuff was back-and-forth in news reports.
Just ask me any time you want the facts.

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 12-17-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #41
ReefGuy

Quote:

My apologies, Bill, I had not seen that. As I said, I have not been following this closely (I went to see the Hobbit yesterday, pretty much an all day event ). I was waiting for the press conference, when all involved would have made their statements. It is not unusual for the left hand to not know what the right hand is doing initially, and the press conference is made after the multiple agencies involved have conferred and pretty much agree with what happened.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #42
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

derail:

your opinion on the hobbit?

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #43
ReefGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Son View Post
derail:

your opinion on the hobbit?
They played with the story some, but a forgivable amount, I think. I've always wished for a bit more Radaghast in the story line, and the movie provided some (but not too much). It may just be my eyeses getting older, prescious, but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of "crispness" of the picture, in fact for a minute or two, I thought I'd walked in on the 3-d version. I don't watch movies in 3-d, and the beginning segment was so blurry to me that I wasn't sure.

The riddle game with Gollum (and his lair) was amazingly like I had always pictured it in my mind.

Overall, as a lifelong tolkien fan, I really enjoyed the movie, even if it was not totally faithful to the book (but mostly was). They even included several of the songs out of the book, but not my favorite: 15 birds in 5 fir trees.

***SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK

One thing that I did find odd is that all of the dwarves (that I remember) that die are the handsome ones in the movie (Fili, Kili, Thorin), while the goofy looking ones are the ones that live. If I'm ever reborn as a dwarf, I hope I'm goofy looking.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #44
Bill McIntyre

I have the perfect Hobbit solution. My wife wants to see it, and I don't. My daughter, who lives in Germany, says its playing in English in Dusseldorf.

So this morning I put my wife on a plane to Germany to spend Christmas with my daughter and her family. (I can't go due to a minor medical problem). My wife will get to see it with our grandsons, age 10 and 12, and I'll pet the cat and tend to the horse.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #45
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Quote:
I have the perfect Hobbit solution. My wife wants to see it, and I don't. My daughter, who lives in Germany, says its playing in English in Dusseldorf.

So this morning I put my wife on a plane to Germany to spend Christmas with my daughter and her family. (I can't go due to a minor medical problem). My wife will get to see it with our grandsons, age 10 and 12, and I'll pet the cat and tend to the horse.
And maybe do a little diving??