Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #61
apexdiver
Tony

Re: what will happend to our gun rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmiami View Post
BINGO..........you just hit the nail in the head.........funny how long it took for someone to mentioned this.
For a kid to go out and commit one of these crimes makes the kid mentally unstable.All of these games are rated it is the parents fault for letting them play these games knowing the mental problems the kid has. No normal kid goes and does something like this.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #62
STITCH
EMT

He was 20...
STITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #63
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Once again, a weapons ban would be the least effective form of protecting our youth from further attacks. If we are going to corral children in non-secure areas minded by adults incapable of protecting them we will see more of what has already happened. Gun laws are no more effective than restraining orders...... just paper that clears the ones we elect to protect us from any liability.

Bill is right, they will do nothing and blame the NRA and the gun owners for not being able to pursue the least viable option.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #64
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by STITCH View Post
He was 20...
I know but the parents should have seen this problem at a younger age.The mom had a house full of guns that the he should'nt of had access to.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #65
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
For a kid to go out and commit one of these crimes makes the kid mentally unstable.All of these games are rated it is the parents fault for letting them play these games knowing the mental problems the kid has. No normal kid goes and does something like this.
A ban on violent games makes way more sense than assult weapon bans. At least it would target the source demographic of where these dirtbags originate, white males from 15 to 25. Real police work involves profiling to quickly bring about results. If we're going to start stomping on peoples rights I would prefer we start where the problem exists.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #66
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Once again, a weapons ban would be the least effective form of protecting our youth from further attacks. If we are going to corral children in non-secure areas minded by adults incapable of protecting them we will see more of what has already happened. Gun laws are no more effective than restraining orders...... just paper that clears the ones we elect to protect us from any liability.

Bill is right, they will do nothing and blame the NRA and the gun owners for not being able to pursue the least viable option.
This is where the Progressives lose their mind. We have laws against all forms of physical and monetary harm but that doesn't stop crime. More damage has been done by a pen than has ever been done by a gun. Should we outlaw pens? Blaming inanimate objects is just silly. One pen, in the right hands, can cause WAY more destruction than one gun.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #67
Marcus

Gun Control: The Big Picture

Quote:
He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honour by non-violently facing death may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden. He has no business to be the head of a family. He must either hide himself, or must rest content to live for ever in helplessness and be prepared to crawl like a worm at the bidding of a bully …

[When violence] is offered in self-defence or for the defence of the defenceless, it is an act of bravery far better than cowardly submission.

A man who, when faced by danger, behaves like a mouse, is rightly called a coward.

Not knowing the stuff of which nonviolence is made, many have honestly believed that running away from danger every time was a virtue compared to offering resistance, especially when it was fraught with danger to one’s life. As a teacher of nonviolence I must, so far as it is possible for me, guard against such an unmanly belief.

Self-defence … is the only honourable course where there is unreadiness for self-immolation.
~Ghandi
Old 12-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #68
STITCH
EMT

Quote:
I know but the parents should have seen this problem at a younger age.The mom had a house full of guns that the he should'nt of had access to.
Yep. She paid the price for her mistake and those killed in the school paid the price of being in a "gun free" zone. I don't see how adding another law will protect anyone from someone hell bent on murder. Murder is still illegal; no? I mean didn't someone kill a whole lot of people (children included) with some fertilizer, diesel and a rental truck? All three of which are still legal.
STITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #69
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
A ban on violent games makes way more sense than assult weapon bans. At least it would target the source demographic of where these dirtbags originate, white males from 15 to 25. Real police work involves profiling to quickly bring about results. If we're going to start stomping on peoples rights I would prefer we start where the problem exists.
I know it seems a bit off topic but they need to start focusing on health care the guy was proably crying out for help and no one gave it to him.For example look at the guy that shot up the movie theater he obviously needed help the guy was out of his mind.Im not saying its the goverments fault but maybe something they need to look into.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #70
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
So are you a little in shock because 20 children were murdered or because they may attempt to regulate access to a dozen type of firearms. If you answer the second so closely after the first occurred then you really are something else.
no im in shock because of the 20 people killed.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #71
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmiami View Post
BINGO..........you just hit the nail in the head.........funny how long it took for someone to mentioned this.
Omigod! Do you realize that you just encouraged the one guy on this board who is widely considered by people on the left and the right to be a stupid windbag?

But just in case you really aren't like him, lets walk through his allegation that its Democrats who encourage violent movies.

First, my wife and I are Democrats and we don't like violent movies. Last week we got suckered into going to that new Brad Pitt movie, "Killing Them Softly," and we almost walked out in the middle.

But that's just us. Lets stop and consider the big picture. Its us Democrat weenies who don't worship guns and think there should be more controls. Does it make sense that we would be the audience for violent films? Or is it more likely to be Republican real men who think that real men carry guns so as to be able to waste anyone who acts up in their presence?

Democrats go to love stories and foreign films with subtitles.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #72
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
I know it seems a bit off topic but they need to start focusing on health care the guy was proably crying out for help and no one gave it to him.For example look at the guy that shot up the movie theater he obviously needed help the guy was out of his mind.Im not saying its the goverments fault but maybe something they need to look into.
Finally you say something with which I can agree.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #73
Capt.Gene

Is congress just too stupid to solve a problem?
These crazy young people undergoing treatment for what ever disorder should never be in a home with firearms.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #74
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Ah...I see it will takes months to complete the investigation but it is in your opinion, that the alleged one shooter used an assault rifle. Got it. Never mind that multiple reports that the Bushmaster left in the backseat of the car wasn't fired and there are no eye witnesses of the shooter published....let alone bearing a rifle.
Marcus, I don't even think you believe your own argument now. You're just saving face. But what the hell.

Its not my opinion that he used an assault rifle. Its the opinion of the medical examiner and the State Police.

Now it may well take months to tie up all the loose ends, trace the guns, etc. but lets think about how they could have already decided what guns he used for what. First, they see two handguns and a rifle inside the school. They probably have the competence to identify them.

Then they see lots and lots of casings of one kind laying around and just one of another kind. Same with bullets. And since each kid was shot an average of 11 times, we really are talking lots of one kind.

Then they get an expert who can tell the difference, and he lets them know that all those casings and bullets but one are from a Bushmaster.

Was that really so hard?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #75
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Omigod! Do you realize that you just encouraged the one guy on this board who is widely considered by people on the left and the right to be a stupid windbag?

But just in case you really aren't like him, lets walk through his allegation that its Democrats who encourage violent movies.

First, my wife and I are Democrats and we don't like violent movies. Last week we got suckered into going to that new Brad Pitt movie, "Killing Them Softly," and we almost walked out in the middle.

But that's just us. Lets stop and consider the big picture. Its us Democrat weenies who don't worship guns and think there should be more controls. Does it make sense that we would be the audience for violent films? Or is it more likely to be Republican real men who think that real men carry guns so as to be able to waste anyone who acts up in their presence?

Democrats go to love stories and foreign films with subtitles.
That's pretty gay, Bill. Just sayin'.... More manly people have those same feelings but don't feel the need to share them with everyone, ya homo.