Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #46
popgun pete

Re: Another Pneumatic recomendation thread

I suggest that the trigger sensitivity screw be left alone, or wound out, as the projecting forward arm on the trigger has to be free of the "star wheel" line release as the latter turns with the exit of the line wraps, otherwise parts can snap under the sudden loading applied by the now departing at high velocity shaft! The arrow indicates where the screw is located, not the direction that it needs to be adjusted. If anything you want the pad/head flush with the rear arm. The rearwards extension of that arm interacts with the transverse slide "safety switch". When wrapping the shooting line on the gun's "line wrap hooks" keep the "safety" on, that is basically what it is there for. Under some circumstances line release levers have acted as an "alternative trigger" when jerked hard by an overzealously applied line wrap application!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salvimar parts green.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	229579  

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-21-2016 at 05:13 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #47
CyborgDroid

Pete - that sounds important to understand but I can't visualize how or why the line release would pull the trigger. All I got was "when wrapping the lines, use the safety, if not you could pull the trigger with the line release, and if your finger gets cought in the line it won't be pleasant".

Sent from my VIVO 5 using Tapatalk
CyborgDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #48
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgDroid View Post
Pete - that sounds important to understand but I can't visualize how or why the line release would pull the trigger. All I got was "when wrapping the lines, use the safety, if not you could pull the trigger with the line release, and if your finger gets cought in the line it won't be pleasant".

Sent from my VIVO 5 using Tapatalk
The forward tab on the plastic trigger itself interacts with the star shaped line release. It basically pops up in between two "fingers" of the star and blocks it from turning. Then when the trigger is pressed, the forward tab drops down and lets go of the line release, which can then turn and release the line.

Pete's point is that there could be a risk that this chain of events could work in reverse - pull too hard on the line release while placing line on it and the line release could possibly turn and push down on the forward tab of the trigger, and hence pull the trigger itself.

I have heard of Salvi sliders breaking, Mares Evo line releases breaking and Sporasub warning of this exact possibility on their One Air but I haven't heard of real world misfires on the Predathors. Not to say it can't happen, and using the safety would probably be smart.
I personally would probably forget to use the safety but at least I don't string my line super hard and I never ever point my gun at anyone or myself.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:43 AM   #49
popgun pete

At times the forward projecting arm of the trigger can be slightly caught up under the adjacent arm of the line release that it is intended to stop moving. Then a twisting effort from a strong line wrap application on one of the other arms of the line release "star wheel" can depress the forward trigger arm and fire the gun, especially if some unwise operator has already dialled up the trigger sensitivity adjustment screw in order to obtain a "hair trigger".

It can happen as the geometry of the lever arms is not sacrosanct, they can get bent, twisted or otherwise distorted through careless use, improper maintenance (i.e. none) or owner modifications by people whom have no idea as to what they are doing, but maybe read something on the Web which they have misunderstood.

My arrows indicating the relatively "feeble" dimensions of the trigger's forward projecting arm are not there for nothing!

The green piston has the potential to be a "snap action" item. That is it snaps clean in two at the reduced diameter recess used for holding a greasy emulsion and the gun is then "out of action". Don't tempt fate by over-pressurizing these "green parts" models. The standard piston at a constant body diameter is a much better proposition.

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-22-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-11-2016, 01:30 AM   #50
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Well, I did some tests last night at the pool. I have to say that the trigger of the Predathor is a little harder to pull than the Cyrano Evo, which I don't really like. I played around with the small bolt that is supposed to adjust the trigger sensitivity, but it only adjusts the pull. So I tried to put it back to the original position since I don't like the idea of being so short that the shaft could shot alone accidentally.

The reel that comes with the gun blocked after like 5-6 shots. I had it with the brake fully engaged to prevent to adjust it after each shot and suddenly, I couldnt coil it anymore. Now I will dismantle it to see what happened.

The original shaft is 8 mm hardened stainless steel. It seems to be good quality.

The power is awesome. As I said, it pulled some line from the reel after two line wraps. I think it would shoot 3 wraps, but I don't like to let the fish that much play and I don't think I can hit ANYTHING that far. Maybe if I go to a bluewater trip, I'll switch to triple wrap.

Hey Marco,
Did you get your Predathor properly wet yet:-)?
Any more thoughts and comparisons?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #51
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Since I posted earlier in this thread, I'll report on the Predathor Plus 85.

I had a chance to get out several times during our whitefish run and it took a couple fish with the new gun. I really like this gun.

The Predathor Plus 85 is just a little shorter, overall, than my Mako predator pro 60.
I like the way it shoots, it has negligible recoil and I have it set up with a 7mm spear.
I was considering setting it up with a slip tip, because the whitefish we hunt are VERY soft fish. As it turns out, the pneumatic lives up to the reputation of threading every fish shot with it. Which brings me to my only complaint: reloading. If I missed or otherwise don't have a fish, reloading is absolutely fine. If I shot a fish, especially if I didn't stone it, it takes a while to get everything untangled, extricated from the fish and back in shape to get back to diving. The spear breezes through the fish, then the fish does it's level best to tie the shooting line into a decorative mat.

Accuracy wise, I'm still getting experience with this gun... but I stoned a fish with it already, so either I'm lucky or it's accurate.

In the future, if I had to get a replacement gun, I probably would get the Predathor. As much as I wanted the power switch, I never even thought of it when hunting, even around the rocks and seawall where it would have been appropriate. Maybe that will change with further familiarization.

Final verdict: Worth it. I like using this gun.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #52
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Super!
Thanks for the review and tying a loop on your buy. It's cool that you are satisfied with the gun. Do you know if you have the old or new slider? The old one is known to be brittle and might break.

Do you have a pigtail or quick release on your shooting line where it attaches to the bungee? The thing with threading fish, which def is the norm for me too, is you have to unthread them - which can be harder than it sounds. I find that sometimes, it's just easier unclipping the shooting like and pulling it through the fish. And with gloves, I like the pigtails the most, but that might just be me.

I started with four full wraps of mono (as opposed to one, max two on most railguns). Now, I am down to three but possibly two would still be fine. It really does help having as little shooting line as you can. Less to tangle after the shot.

In the future, if you feel like it, if you already have a nice smooth stainless spear, you are "only" 40 euros away from making your gun into a dry barrel Vuoto, but it doesn't sound like you need the slightly more oomph. And also, the Vuoto does seem to want it's muzzle seal changed once in a while. It's easy, can be done in a minute but not having it is one less thing to worry about.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-10-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #53
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

I am not sure which slider it is, (new vs. old). I certainly like the LOOK of it. The 8mm spear that came with the gun had a slider with hole like ears, so the shooting line runs perpendicular to the shaft through the holes in the slider. This is the one with the spring on the shaft. I haven't used it.

When I bought the gun I got a 7mm Tahitian spear that has the more streamlined looking slider (like this one here. The shooting line runs through channels parallel to the shaft and it just looks better made to me. Hopefully, this is the new one.

I do have a pigtail on a bungee from Neptonics, (... I think. I bout some stuff from Mako, but the majority of my rigging comes from Neptonics), I can't believe I didn't think of that before. Unclipping the line would certainly get the fish off faster, barring the fish tying itself into a bight on the line. Thanks for pointing that out!

I shoot in vis of "close" to maybe 18 feet. I have this gun rigged with 2 wraps at the moment, (two loops on the line release). The range of the spear is flirting with "too far for vis" on bad days here, so I'm more than content with it as it stands. If I need less line I guess I can fall back to the Mako band gun. (Which I have nothing bad to say about, I'm just totally jazzed with my pneu toy.)

I have to say, if I wanted more oomph from this setup, I still have at least 5ATM to go before I get to the 30ATM ceiling in the tank. Considering the performance I had out of it so far, I'm not in a hurry to change it up yet. It's always an option down the road.

I have a Velcro strap I use to keep the spear and shooting line tidy between car and water and back. It actually worked too well, in that the Velcro had such a good grip on itself, the hook part at the end of the strap tore away from the elastic loop part. If I can get that a little more reliable, I'll consider the whole job about perfect.

Too bad the water got all solid on me. Now I have to wait for spring.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #54
popgun pete

Next time try the 8 mm shaft and leave the shock absorber spring on the shaft tail as that adds resistance going through the meat.

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-21-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #55
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuuken View Post
I am not sure which slider it is, (new vs. old). I certainly like the LOOK of it. The 8mm spear that came with the gun had a slider with hole like ears, so the shooting line runs perpendicular to the shaft through the holes in the slider. This is the one with the spring on the shaft. I haven't used it.

When I bought the gun I got a 7mm Tahitian spear that has the more streamlined looking slider (like this one here. The shooting line runs through channels parallel to the shaft and it just looks better made to me. Hopefully, this is the new one.
Yup, that's the one. The old one could break at the ears. Let's hope this one is better.

Quote:
I shoot in vis of "close" to maybe 18 feet. I have this gun rigged with 2 wraps at the moment, (two loops on the line release). The range of the spear is flirting with "too far for vis" on bad days here, so I'm more than content with it as it stands. If I need less line I guess I can fall back to the Mako band gun. (Which I have nothing bad to say about, I'm just totally jazzed with my pneu toy.)
Haha, pneu toy, good pun:-) And two wraps sounds like a good compromise. Should be lots of power still left at the end of the last wrap for your type of fish and viz and as little to tangle in the water as possible.

Quote:
Too bad the water got all solid on me. Now I have to wait for spring.
Happy holidays and enjoy spring:-)
Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #56
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Hey Marco,
Did you get your Predathor properly wet yet:-)?
Any more thoughts and comparisons?

Next week will be THE week.

I'll let you know how it goes. You know me. No B.S.. just real fish

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #57
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Next week will be THE week.

I'll let you know how it goes. You know me. No B.S.. just real fish
Yeah, saw your other post with a view from the balcony... Man, your place is all decorated for Xmas and then a view of a warm ocean and guns on the balcony and a spearing trip right after the holidays, love it:-)

I am kinda landlocked in Shanghai with too much time on my hand, so I nerd away big time. But, I should have a trip come up in just a few weeks:-)
Old 01-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #58
ninjagazz

Hi Gecko,

The salvimar predathor becomes a lot more muzzle heavy with the 8mm spear.
If you are spending a lot of time with your arms outstretched your wrist could become tired.
There is often a lot of surge and water movement when i dive and the heavier muzzle helps with stability.
Also the 8mm spear will wear the vacuum gasket faster than a 7mm spear to buy extras and keep them handy.

My trigger can be stiff on the first shot so i try to remember to press it a few times to loosen it up before i load it. The omer airbalete trigger is better.
ninjagazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #59
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagazz View Post
Hi Gecko,

The salvimar predathor becomes a lot more muzzle heavy with the 8mm spear.
If you are spending a lot of time with your arms outstretched your wrist could become tired.
There is often a lot of surge and water movement when i dive and the heavier muzzle helps with stability.
Also the 8mm spear will wear the vacuum gasket faster than a 7mm spear to buy extras and keep them handy.

My trigger can be stiff on the first shot so i try to remember to press it a few times to loosen it up before i load it. The omer airbalete trigger is better.
Hi Gazz,
Thanks for this.
I have an 85 taken apart here and trying to get a 1.5mm trigger set made for it.
Also, it makes sense that the 8mm shaft will make a noticeable difference in terms or balance and seal wear.
Interesting about the trigger. Can't think of an explanation. When I took apart the 85, I noticed a ton of grease in it, but it still had oil, too (not like the oil-less batch of Airbalates). Obviously, the pin is 2mm, but the geometry of the trigger mech is the same as my other guns. Except for the One Air (which has the Airbalete trigger and handle) which I agree has the smoothest trigger pull of my guns. Perhaps, Salvimar use a lot of compression on the o-ring, not sure.

I am still planning on making a custom outer tank (reservoir) for my next, longer Mirage and I do want it to be able to carry an 8mm shaft nicely. Once you start taking these guns into blue water, it seems like a good idea to go up in shaft diameter to make up for what will still be a very short gun and spear. And with the extra oomph of the Mirage, I don't think propelling an 8mm spear will be an issue at all.
I even thought about going to 8.5mm, but will run into some issues with the design of the small pumping barrel.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-10-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #60
Marco

Here's a video with my pneumatic.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote