Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Eibwen

Shooting under ledges & stuck spears

110cm Mako running two 16's. I have gotten my spear stuck several times now and am curious what others do or avoid doing to prevent this. I have seen plenty of videos of ppl shooting fish hanging out under a ledge with no issues. I have gotten stuck doing this (yesterday for example and had to float an SMB it and retrieve w/ 2nd tank which is less than ideal) and also shooting from above fish swimming over hard bottom.

I shoot with a line so I feel like a 2nd band is necessary but....wondering if I got too much juice for the type of killing I am doing.

As an aside I got a strong follow from a big hammerhead (no, it wasn't a bonnie) yesterday during my ascent. Dove with sharks before which I am fine with but it's a different feeling when you are carrying (or feel like) their dinner.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Shooting under ledges & stuck spears

Only use one band when taking close up shots or when shooting under a ledge/wreck. If you have 2 bands loaded simply unload one of the bands before shooting. 2 banded shots at close range is almost always going to cause trouble.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

If possible, connect shooting line to end of shaft rather than to shark fins or somewhere along the shaft. Makes retrieval from narrow spaces much easier as shaft does not want to toggle. I realize this in not your exact issue. I power down when purposefully shooting close to rocks -Less tip damage and less penetration to coral or rocks.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
jfjf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp_3-EUOCgY

Yes use one band and you can even shoot with a soft elbow to absorb a little more energy
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
you can even shoot with a soft elbow to absorb a little more energy
...or a limp wrist, according to Manmarvel.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
...or a limp wrist, according to Manmarvel.
Marcus, why do you want to talk about gay when others are talking spearfishing?
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosstnfound View Post
Marcus, why do you want to talk about gay when others are talking spearfishing?
Maybe he's feeling nostalgic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTbhZCxq9s
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 AM   #8
captadam123

One band when shooting under ledges. Also, dont miss the fish.
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #9
sharpshooter

You can always have a weaker second band for under ledge and hole shots. Now, for a stuck shaft. Tip#1---If the shaft isn't far under the ledge. You can slide the speargun down the shaft until it locks into place. Now you have the gun handle to pull with instead of the bare shaft in your hands. Tip#2--- Reach down the shaft towards the tip as far as you can. If you can get within 12" of the tip. That would be perfect. Otherwise, reach down as far as you can get. Now start doing about 10 small clockwise circles and increasing the circle size. Now do the same thing counter clockwise. Give a hard pull. Most of the time. The shaft will come out. You may have to do this a few times. I have gotten my shafts and friends shafts unstuck with those tips. Back on the boat. I've heard so many times this comment. "Never thought of sliding my gun down the shaft and locking it in and using the handle for leverage."
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #10
CuzzA

Christ, Jose, stop plagiarizing 50 Shades of Grey.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
Eibwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
You can always have a weaker second band for under ledge and hole shots. Now, for a stuck shaft. Tip#1---If the shaft isn't far under the ledge. You can slide the speargun down the shaft until it locks into place. Now you have the gun handle to pull with instead of the bare shaft in your hands. Tip#2--- Reach down the shaft towards the tip as far as you can. If you can get within 12" of the tip. That would be perfect. Otherwise, reach down as far as you can get. Now start doing about 10 small clockwise circles and increasing the circle size. Now do the same thing counter clockwise. Give a hard pull. Most of the time. The shaft will come out. You may have to do this a few times. I have gotten my shafts and friends shafts unstuck with those tips. Back on the boat. I've heard so many times this comment. "Never thought of sliding my gun down the shaft and locking it in and using the handle for leverage."
Thanks for the tip! (pun intended)
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Christ, Jose, stop plagiarizing 50 Shades of Grey.
I googled that title. Never watched it or the 2 sequels. Seems like a "Basic Instinct" remake. Did u check out the Teric dive computer?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
I googled that title. Never watched it or the 2 sequels. Seems like a "Basic Instinct" remake. Did u check out the Teric dive computer?
I haven't seen it either... Bad joke.

No man, I haven't had a chance. Been busy getting my kids back to school. I'll get over there soon.

With school back in session I'm trying to get out before this red tide hits. Anyone going out and need a shooter let me know.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote