Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
jclindaman

Spearfishing Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca in South México

Hey Fellas, I'm headed down to Puerto Escondido next week to do some surfing and spear fishing. Does anyone have any experience, tips, or recommendations around that area? Maybe some outfits or guys you'd recommend getting in touch with, spots to check out, fish your recommend targeting, etc...

Cheers,

James
jclindaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Riptide
Straight Blastin em

Re: Spearfishing Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca in South México

Hey James,

I’m down in the area now. Any trip report or boat captains worth noting? I’ve been south of Zipolete. Saw some compressor tube divers the other day....

Cheers,

Will

"If you're gonna go swimming you're gonna have to get wet"

www.sangleefarms.com
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
Shaftslinger
Jacksonville, FL

5 year old thread and he registered in 2014 and has only 4 posts. I'm thinking he wont be back to answer this one.
Shaftslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
Timinator

I have a condo there. Not a ton of great spearfishing there without lot's of waiting for conditions. Go up to Roca Blanca ask for Jose/Pepe he's at the first restaurant on left driving in once you get to the beach & water at Roca Blanca. If conditions are good, he'll take out to the island right off shore. He's a spearfishermen.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #5
Riptide
Straight Blastin em

Thanks guys. I got out with the boat Estrella at the end of the beach there. We had a solid crew out on the water. We hunted Roca Blanca and the one next to it. Pargo numbers are better than some other spots I dove south of there (near puerto angel) but the schoolmaster pargo/yellow pargo and parrotfish I saw were very weary of approach down to about 70ft showing evident regular shooting.
Shot a big barred snapper in a cave and ripped the shaft out trying to muscle him out. Should have went back for the pole spear and shot him a second time but I thought the shot was good enough to pull on the shaft. Put too much torque on it and didn’t have enough head or gill to hold.
We also drifted cometa punta from the inside north beach all the way around to the Mazunte side which had some insane structure current worked favorably. Not as deep as I thought it would be 60-80 ft in between some othe rock trenches but mostly 30-40ft within our drift line-100 yards of the rocks. Some Jacks, goatfish and small cabrilla pargo. I bet you can get a little blue water action off the point there...

"If you're gonna go swimming you're gonna have to get wet"

www.sangleefarms.com
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
Timinator

Yep, that's spearfishing Puerto. The fish almost never let you close enough. They've had so many fishermen and divers (not necessarily spear fishermen) over the last 75 years fish are just skittish. Too many boats over too many years. We've found a few small coves/areas south of Puerto that still hold fish that act like fish, but most of the spearfishing almost isn't worth the time and effort anymore.