Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:09 AM   #1
brussell_32

Freediving Blue Springs Florida

This is a cave diving video I filmed over the last two years. Finally got around to getting it all together. Now I can start working on a ton of spearfishing footage I have. That should be pretty good.

Check it out, and if you like it please subscribe. Thanks

https://youtu.be/i6zgeZ93Jdc
brussell_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
sacha58

Re: Freediving Blue Springs Florida

You have done a beautiful filming and, evidently have the freediving knowledge to take risks that, for the average freediver might be overwhelming and ... deadly.... as I do not see any possible safety in those dives.
I am not against your exploration of your limits, but wonder how many might will to try the same thing not realizing that there is no way back to the light, in case of problems.

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
brussell_32

For the most part you can be very safe in these dives. There's almost always a way back to the light.

In a very few of these dives you have to commit as you go though holes in the rocks, but only for a few seconds at a time. However, you'd have to go out of your way to get into those spots. For instance if you want to drop to 90' on the back route you'd have to swim at 45 degrees and shoot for tiny holes that don't look like you can fit through them. You wouldn't even know these holes are there unless someone showed you. If you drop down the back route to 70', there's nothing standing in your way to get back to the main tunnel (except the entrance at 20'), and once you hit the tunnel, the current shoots you up.

You just have to learn the caves and that's something you should learn from someone that knows these caves first. That's what I did, a then spent hundreds of dives really learning my way around. I never pushed myself, I just took baby steps. I don't have a death wish.

But yes, diving in caves is dangerous. People die here every year but usually because they're pushing themselves and not being safe

Thanks for your comment!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
growingupninja
Lance

Very nice looking video. What camera were you using?

I got to dive a spring/ceynote in Mexico for work last month. It was incredible, like a playground, just longfins, speedo, and mask (although with a floor of corrosive hydrogen sulfide!). I'd never dove a spring before although lobster diving out here we are accustomed to wiggling into caves, cracks, and overhangs.

What is the temp of the water?

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
brussell_32

Hey there,

I use a Sony NEX-6, nauticam housing, and have 2x2500 sola lights, although I rarely turn the lights on all the way as the water at Blue Springs is a bit milky. The water there is 72 degrees year round. All Florida springs are the same for the most part.

Cenote looks awesome. Maybe one day I'll get to see it.

Thanks for watching. Glad you liked it.

Brian
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
growingupninja
Lance

Looks like an interesting camera for underwater use...

Our vis is usually really bad so a camera's low light ability, especially at depth, is a big deal which means to get anything you need at least a DSLR, which besides the price is usually rather bulky with housing.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
Old 06-29-2015, 03:59 AM   #7
mattduff

i like your work
mattduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
growingupninja
Lance

Thanks, I finally had a chance to check out a few Florida springs--stopped at Morrison and Troy while driving across the state. Both were neat but really loved Troy since it was more quiet.

I have dove a ceynote (Mexican blue hole), but the Florida springs were very different, much smaller and more forceful than I expected.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #9
Spearo|Joe

Sick video, hit me up next time you go, I'd love to tag along
Spearo|Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
Shorediver

Awesome video! Went there once and it's definitely a beautiful place to go diving in.Some of those Alligator Gars are over 5 feet.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote