Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
Jonesy35

Explain the need for wet suit

So I’m moving to Guam soon. I’m slowly gather my spear gear and have seen all the guys online wearing wet suits. What’s the purpose and do I need it? New to this sport/hobby and haven’t grown up next to the ocean. So this question may seem ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonesy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
hydroid

Re: Explain the need for wet suit

I like a 1.5 ml. for the tropics and allows me to stay warmer over the longer hours I spend in the water. Also helps with the sun protection, jellyfish, and scrubbing around on the reef. Also nice to have a chest loading pad.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroid View Post
I like a 1.5 ml. for the tropics and allows me to stay warmer over the longer hours I spend in the water. Also helps with the sun protection, jellyfish, and scrubbing around on the reef. Also nice to have a chest loading pad.
Funny you should mention a "Chest Loading Pad"
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
Jonesy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroid View Post

Can you recommend some brands and does it matter whether I get a full or half suit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonesy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Even in warm water such as Guam....you will get chilled after hours. 1.5/2mm is best bet. A wetsuit is also used for protection from sun, ocean creatures, and coral. Fall one time without protection on the reef or entry areas and you will know why it is extremely important to have that full wetsuit.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
hydroid

I like the Henderson 1.5 microprene although it's not a spearfishing suit is super nice, I had SEATUX add a very nice loading pad. First pad I've ever had that was perfect for me. SEATUX is awesome. My first Henderson is over 10 yrs. old and still use it for a spare. Only paid $90 for the suit, and they have a 10 yr. guarantee on the zipper which has always been my problem with other suits. Should you decide you want the camo for reef hunting, just get some textile medium and acrylic hobby (ceramicoat) paint. This will allow you to match your camo to the reefs you hunt as most of the camo I see don't really do much. They would be great sitting in the woods on a food plot in Alabama but in the water, not so much, only a handful of companies got the camo right. Hope this helps.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Behslayer

Wait til you get there and go in to Fa'Nui and speak with the owner Ray. He's got a stock of all the kind of suits you would want to use there. He carries some Lycra Suits too with Loading Pads if you are not the person who gets cold and just looking for UV and Reef protection.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote