Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #46
LASeaCat
Helldivers

Re: Free-Diving Pony Bottle Use for Emergencies?

[/url][quote=jfjf;883905]I was actually quizing my 10 yr old on this same example tonight. 100 feet is not 3 atmospheres; it is 4.

That's correct... 4 counting the one atmosphere on the surface.

That Zeagle system that I think they were referring to is not for breathing. A small bottle is intergrated onto the weight belt for aiding in ascents, leveling off at depths and, I guess, floating on the surface.

Go to www.floridaspearfishing.com.

Zeagle also has really small pony bottles? I wouldn't take chances. Get something substantial if you are going to do that!

Great Conversation....... Why people get angry is beyond me!
LASeaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #47
Blesum
Water Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 Cultivated View Post
Paul, Kris sells small bottles for emergencies at his shop. They have a strap so you can keep it attached to your leg or something.
I've seen those $30 bottles - they look very questionable and I don't believe they will even give a lungful's worth of air at 100 feet. Would really suck to exhale at 100' and find there's nothing to inhale.

Maybe if I could test a few of them out beforehand... But then that gets expensive.

-Paul
Blesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #48
808 Cultivated
The Youngest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesum View Post
I've seen those $30 bottles - they look very questionable and I don't believe they will even give a lungful's worth of air at 100 feet. Would really suck to exhale at 100' and find there's nothing to inhale.

Maybe if I could test a few of them out beforehand... But then that gets expensive.

-Paul
If you ascend to quickly after breathing compressed air, can't you damage your lungs?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #49
shcubasteve

I wouldn't touch this one with a 10' pole...
Attached Images

shcubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #50
jfjf

Quote:
If you ascend to quickly after breathing compressed air, can't you damage your lungs?
Nope, Can't happen. As long as you are wearing really long fins, have a snorkel and carry the small bottle in your hands, the expanding air in the lungs can do no damage. It is completely different from actual scuba diving.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #51
Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I was actually quizing my 10 yr old on this same example tonight. 100 feet is not 3 atmospheres; it is 4. What air consumption rate are you assuming to arrive at 30 seconds?

You tell us you calmly sucked down 20 cu-ft at 40 feet in less than 4 minutes. That is a ridiculously high breathing rate.

edit: Has anyone ever heard of a diver breathing down a full 80 cu-ft tank at 40 feet in 14 minutes? That is the consumption rate that Samson categorizes as "a calm breathing rate".
Maybe that will help people to put his comments in perspective.
Not trying to be a smart axx, but I know two people who can do that. Actually, my one neighbor got about 18 minutes out of a AL 80 in 25 ft. I asked what's wrong? Why you up? reply: Tanks empty! I guess some people hyperventilate thoughout their entire dive. My other buddy is new and he is getting much better every trip. But he started out at about 18 minutes in 75 ft to empty a Al 80. I don't see how it's possible either. I joked about the O2 consumption possibly causing them to blackout.

On another note: I have a aluminum finish(no paint) 6cf Luxfer bottle with a yoke valve, and a button gauge for your 1st stage, I'll sell for any reasonable offer. I used to use it for a scuba pony to 80 or so ft. It worked fine for that. I definalty can get more than 30 seconds out of it.

And on another note: It is pitiful how many people are just blowing hard on this thread! Does anyone read the posts, or do they just read the title and tell us all how it's done. Half the posters here obviously don't even know it's a freediving based thread. MORONS
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #52
dr.ed

Quote:
Nope, Can't happen. As long as you are wearing really long fins, have a snorkel and carry the small bottle in your hands, the expanding air in the lungs can do no damage. It is completely different from actual scuba diving.

PLEASE say you are Joking!!!!!

FOR the RECORD!!! If you fill your lungs at depth (even a ft or two of depth!!!) and hold your breath on ascent; YOU WILL EMBOLISE and likely die!
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #53
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ed View Post
PLEASE say you are Joking!!!!!

FOR the RECORD!!! If you fill your lungs at depth (even a ft or two of depth!!!) and hold your breath on ascent; YOU WILL EMBOLISE and likely die!
jfjf... if you do that without wearing a speedo you're opening yourself up to serious trouble!

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #54
bgbill

Quote:
Quote:
jiffy boy,

I think you are joking, but even making such a statement like this in a public forum shows what a dumba$$ you are, someone may believe what you are saying and get hurt or killed trying it.

After you delete my comments and kick me off the board, you should remove all reference to your stupid comment.
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #55
Blesum
Water Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grin View Post
On another note: I have a aluminum finish(no paint) 6cf Luxfer bottle with a yoke valve, and a button gauge for your 1st stage, I'll sell for any reasonable offer. I used to use it for a scuba pony to 80 or so ft. It worked fine for that. I definalty can get more than 30 seconds out of it.
Many thanks - The guy shipped it out to me before I could even make a payment. Payment has been made as of a few minutes ago.

-Paul
Old 03-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #56
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Hello,

I'm not claiming to be some expert but I just got done taking a Freediving course with Martin Stepanek and he said that freediving and pony bottles are a VERY dangerous combination!! Stay clear of that. Scuba is Scuba and freediving is freediving. There is clear science to why not to do that!!

Be safe, Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #57
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencoguru View Post
Hello,

I'm not claiming to be some expert but I just got done taking a Freediving course with Martin Stepanek and he said that freediving and pony bottles are a VERY dangerous combination!! Stay clear of that. Scuba is Scuba and freediving is freediving. There is clear science to why not to do that!!

Be safe, Errol
Maybe you could share some of that science with us? (Other than the previously discused lung expansion injuries).
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #58
Blesum
Water Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencoguru View Post
Hello,

I'm not claiming to be some expert but I just got done taking a Freediving course with Martin Stepanek and he said that freediving and pony bottles are a VERY dangerous combination!!
If I had to guess, the other part would have to do with nitrogen and the bends. Somebody who is considering a pony bottle of sorts is probably already diving very deep and does have some nitrogen building up in his/her body already. Sucking on a bottle down deep could be enough to tip over into the land of the bends.

I have a rule of 8's that I follow. When I crack 80 feet, I make sure that my breath time on the surface is at least 8 minutes. I believe that this allows my body to rid itself of a fair amount of nitrogen before my next dive. Those 8 minutes are LONG though.

Did I guess right?

-Paul
Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #59
Grin

I don't know why it's so hard for some to express themselves but: As a freediver you WON'T have to worry about lung expansion, upon accent, WITHOUT the use of a pony bottle. BUT, If your going to take a breath at depth off a pony bottle, while freediving, realize you will now have to exhale throughout your accent. You have changed the entire game. You had absolutly no more than one atmosphere in your lungs as a pure freediver. Now, using the pony for even one extra breath, you have alot more than that one atmosphere in your lungs and you better dump it as you accend as it expands. Not exhaling could be very dangerous to your lungs with 2 or 3 or 4 atmospheres not being released as you accend.

I know this is all basics, but it seems many were having a hard time and someone had to say it.
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #60
mepps1

This thread is now a Bashboard classic! Can we get a sticky?

This one seems to be kinda winding down now. So maybe we should start a thread on the merits of scuba v. free diving?

Some people just aren't happy unless they're really pissed off.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote