Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

View Poll Results: When do you load your pole spear?
At the surface 72 44.72%
At the bottom 21 13.04%
When you see a fish 61 37.89%
Other 7 4.35%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Robspearo

Re: Loading Polespear-At the surface? At the bottom?When you see a fish?

I started out with a spear pole, I always load before dive. Never know what you will see on the way down. Your arm and hand will get stronger by the 3rd trip and you will never notice the strain anymore. Noted as someone said above, the fish sees you resetting for the shoot and they bug out.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
myfish

I have to load up before the dive and, during a surface only approach in shallow water, hold that band for minutes at a time. Sometimes, but rarely, I get to load on seeing a fish. In the time it takes you 'think about loading', the opportunity here, is GONE. Very much dynamic, fast reaction pole spearing.
myfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
TogHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndsurfrjim View Post
I'm a newbie to pole spearing but I noticed that my hand fatigued as well
Until my hand and arm muscles got used to the strain. After a couple of times out, I now don't even notice ant discomfort or strain so naturally I want to be loaded all the time!
Jim you pole spear? Welcome to the club! Any stripers yet?
TogHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
Crissay53

If I see the fish before i go down I load half way down. If i don't see anything and I'm just checking out a ledge i don't load until I actually see it
Crissay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

For me it isnt even fatigue.

It just plain hurts to keep a polespear loaded on your hand for a couple hours, especially if you are stretching it as far as you can go for big range in clear waters.

What that has turned into is mainly dive bombing fish. Loading at the surface, but only when you see the fish you want to shoot. Load as you approach the hole that you are going to look into etc.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #21
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

I load right wen I drop out of the thermocline. When I've stopped kicking.

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
ColdDeadHand

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Scott View Post
I found it easier to grip a pole spear if I wrapped a bit of tape around the tip of the shaft (the part you are holding when it is loaded).[/url]
I just wrapped one with a tennis racket wrapping. I have yet to try it on the pole spear, but it works great on several of my firearms. It's made to be grippy when wet/sweaty. And they're cheap and almost a consumable item, I figure if I get a few dives out of one and it works great I will be happy.
ColdDeadHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #23
FISH928
Brandon Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyterkillsling View Post
I load right wen I drop out of the thermocline. When I've stopped kicking.
I like this technique. Hand fatigue is gonna happen but when you stick a fish fatigue goes away real quick and is replaced with excitement. Atleast for me but conditions do dictate when I load up, I'm in fresh clear water and stripers and carp are real skidderish. I do notice myself loading up on the surface in shallow water, or hard currents.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #24
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Another Option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChktDNDPeuU

dive safe!

Dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:25 AM   #25
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

Hate to tell you Dano, but that style of hook is old tech. Most of us polespear enthusiasts have experimented with that style and moved on already.

The main problems, IMO, are the rubber still digging into your hand as you load it, the ring from the metal hook doing the same and the lack of rigidity at the loading attachment point. My current preferred method, and I think the one that many people have settled on or are experimenting with, is the Japanese style webbing grip. The wide loop that's always open regardless of band tension, the attachment point that never moves and the ability to easily attach floatlines or other tackle make it better.

Plus, I can easily switch rubbers from a longer one to a shorter one, or a thicker/thinner band, and use the same strap. I don't need to cut anything to change it. It also works on poles that don't have forward shaft extensions, where just a constrictor knot or other cinching technique around a line with a loop might not have the holding power, or on longer polespears where you aren't loading anywhere near the front end at full draw.

The design is fairly versatile and easy to make at home. The two major design styles are the loop on the pole and hook in the webbing or hook on the pole and loop in the webbing. I use the latter, as it was easier to secure a metal tab to my pole than a long trail line for a loop due to the length of the pole and loading point.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #26
Fishkiller259

I load when I see a fish at the surface so I am a mixture of both. I am at the surface looking down and unless I dive down to check a hole then I have it loaded when I am coming down on a fish
Old 11-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #27
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Would that hook be considered legal for record taking? Or even use in the Bahamas? It's a good idea..... Just think it takes away the sole purposes of using a polespear.

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #28
IceColdChuck

I only load when I see a fish I want. I almost exclusively hunt in Northern California and our fish are not exactly used to divers so they are not very skittish, none the less I like to think my demeanor is pretty calm when I'm loading.

www.CharlesLaKamp.com
IceColdChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #29
straycat
straycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy View Post
Hate to tell you Dano, but that style of hook is old tech. Most of us polespear enthusiasts have experimented with that style and moved on already.

The main problems, IMO, are the rubber still digging into your hand as you load it, the ring from the metal hook doing the same and the lack of rigidity at the loading attachment point. My current preferred method, and I think the one that many people have settled on or are experimenting with, is the Japanese style webbing grip. The wide loop that's always open regardless of band tension, the attachment point that never moves and the ability to easily attach floatlines or other tackle make it better.

Plus, I can easily switch rubbers from a longer one to a shorter one, or a thicker/thinner band, and use the same strap. I don't need to cut anything to change it. It also works on poles that don't have forward shaft extensions, where just a constrictor knot or other cinching technique around a line with a loop might not have the holding power, or on longer polespears where you aren't loading anywhere near the front end at full draw.

The design is fairly versatile and easy to make at home. The two major design styles are the loop on the pole and hook in the webbing or hook on the pole and loop in the webbing. I use the latter, as it was easier to secure a metal tab to my pole than a long trail line for a loop due to the length of the pole and loading point.
So explain this method and some pics would be helpful
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #30
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
So explain this method and some pics would be helpful