Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2010 Tournament Archives > 2010 St. Pete Open -August 20-22, 2010

2010 St. Pete Open -August 20-22, 2010 Check this forum for details about the 2010 SPO.

View Poll Results: Please Guess the Weight of this Warsaw Grouper
Between 30 - 39 pounds 7 12.96%
Between 40 - 49 pounds 4 7.41%
Between 50 - 59 pounds 0 0%
Between 60 - 69 pounds 6 11.11%
Between 70 - 79 pounds 17 31.48%
Between 80 - 89 pounds 11 20.37%
Between 90 - 100 pounds 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
scubajobert

Re: Guess the Weight of the Warsaw Grouper Shot the Day of the 2010 St. Pete Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearjunkie View Post
you guys need to give it a rest already...
you know what i keep my mouth shut on a lot of shit butt this whole thing stinks.
scubajobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
PrimeTime

Re: Guess the Weight of the Warsaw Grouper Shot the Day of the 2010 St. Pete Open

Its really sad to see the promoter of a tournament do nothing but poke and make fun of the "Worlds Largest Tournament" that has been around 45 years. This just shows everyone that you have no class what so ever and the reason that the once great SBO is dead.

By the way the 3 person tournament committee only votes on matters involving issues on tournament day. They do not make the tournament rules. The St. Pete Underwater Club does.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
scubajobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywayGray View Post
The Real St. Pete Open winner???????
A. He didn't enter, without entering, you CAN NOT win...
B. Rules said no Warsaws... So Again Can Not win with this...
C. I didn't see anyone crying about the new Pelagic category...

There are Rules to each tournament, so you PLAN ACCORDINGLY to those rules and you make a plan to win it...

An example was the southern open when they made Red Snapper its own category... CHANGE THE PLAN TO WIN THE TOURNAMENT!!

Maybe you should of gone after Big Carbos and none of this would have been an issue???

PS, If this is just for fun, Please DON"T erase my Post, or Ban me from the board.....
A he did enter. B THE RULES DID NOT SAY NO WARSAW THEY SAID NO WARSAW ON THERE VOTE FOR HAVING IT A RULE FOR 3 YEARS YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE IN THE RULES ON PAPER... C the pelagic was added whats to bitch about.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
chawk25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajobert View Post
oh I'M SORRY A WARSAW IS NOT A GROUPER. IN A GROUPER TOURNAMENT
KING FISH, KING FISH TOURNAMENT. YOUR FISHING FOR KING FISH...........
Oh no im sorry because I really don't give a shit either way. Just saying that it doesn't matter what you weigh in if its not eligible for that particular tournament it aint going to win you shit. Wahoo----> kingfish tourney
chawk25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #20
scubajobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawk25 View Post
Oh no im sorry because I really don't give a shit either way. Just saying that it doesn't matter what you weigh in if its not eligible for that particular tournament it aint going to win you shit. Wahoo----> kingfish tourney
then why post.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #21
chawk25

Quote:
then why post.
My bad didn't know this was your forum? Lo ciento
chawk25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #22
Gamble
NATIVE

I can understand people being upset, If I had potential winning fish a few miles off the beach I would be bothered also. I can also understand those choosing to remove Warsaw from the rules for safety reasons. Sure, shooting a Warsaw in 60-130ft of water isn't a safety concern in most cases but shooting one in 250+ sure as hell is. It's impossible to say it's ok on the east coast and not the west.

Most of the guys who went deep for blacks on the west side traveled VERY long distances by truck and water to target their fish. The east cost guys could have done the same.

Anyone who thinks this has anything to do with Capt. Ham-burglar or the SPUCS attempting to keep an east coast guy from taking top grouper is mistaken.

IMHO having Warsaw in the tourney would ruin it. Each year a handful of capable and experienced guys would go stupid deep and shoot GIANT Warsaw. A 100lb black or the Warsaw pictured above wouldn't even be close. If Warsaw HAD been in this year it would have had to been over 200lbs to get THIRD! The cost for a trip like that in the limited time would only decrease those competing for the top spot EVEN MORE. It would be a competition between less than a dozen guys and the east coast guys would be out anyway. Then the possibility of less experienced guys trying to dive, shoot and safety land a fish in the 200+ class in depths they have little to no experience in is a major concern. So to reiterate, having Warsaw would limit those able to win the top spot, endanger those that tried and the east coast guys would have to travel to the westcoast to compete.

Being a freediver, I don't really care specifically about the Grouper/Warsaw issue. But maybe I'll pull a GR and shoot a 100lb black in some of my 30ish stuff.

SpearMax, you forgot to add a "no one cares" choice to your pole.

Last edited by Gamble; 08-23-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #23
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Quote:
THE REAL ST.PETE OPEN WINNER.
Dude...the correct spelling is WHINER. I see how they are easily confused.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #24
ROCKHIND

Just a question here, but if going deep(safety) was the concern, why not limit the tourney to recreational depths, or a not to exceed depth limit?

there are more than just big Warsaws down there.
ROCKHIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #25
inletsurf

Quote:
oh I'M SORRY A WARSAW IS NOT A GROUPER. IN A GROUPER TOURNAMENT
KING FISH, KING FISH TOURNAMENT. YOUR FISHING FOR KING FISH...........
A jewfish is a grouper, could I show up to the SPO with a 350 lb jewfish and then proclaim myself the "REAL SPO GROUPER WINNER" and have you all respect me as such, just as I was getting hauled off to jail?

Tony, bravo, again you shot one of the dumbest fish in the water, and you act like its comparable to shooting a carbo of the same size. Rules are rules, maybe you should go run your own tournament if you don't like them. I agree with Scott, you're a little off keel with this issue the past few weeks. But hey, what do i know.

Last edited by inletsurf; 08-23-2010 at 03:26 PM.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #26
scubajobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by inletsurf View Post
A jewfish is a grouper, could I show up to the SPO with a 350 lb jewfish and then proclaim myself the "REAL SPO GROUPER WINNER" and have you all respect me as such, just as I was getting hauled off to jail?
inlet id pay to see that.and you know what i mean about warsaw it's not on the endanger list.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #27
diverik
The Duck-footed Destroyer

They already make it as hard as possible on the east coast guys by captains meeting night before then weigh- in next evening. So some poor bastard on every team on the east coast was operating on about 1 hours sleep, and I hear safety is the concern. Sorry but I call bullshit here.

Given my observations over the years I would call this the GROGAN rule.
Rick
Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #28
RichT

I'll make it simple and I'm trying to type really s-l-o-w so the "special" people can understand.
http://www.gulfcouncil.org/Beta/GMFM...chure_2010.pdf
Look on page 5 on the right hand side under "species".
Now, look at what is considered deepwater species and what grouper are considered shallow water species.
See it?

Now, imagine what a lawyer could do with that and some of you may finally understand...
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #29
scubajobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by inletsurf View Post

Tony, bravo, again you shot one of the dumbest fish in the water, and you act like its comparable to shooting a carbo of the same size. Rules are rules, maybe you should go run your own tournament if you don't like them. I agree with Scott, you're a little off keel with this issue the past few weeks. But hey, what do i know.
Ive shot 100lb blacks and 100lb warsaws and to me they acted the same and died.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
inletsurf

Quote:
Ive shot 100lb blacks and 100lb warsaws and to me they acted the same and died.
Sure, the ones you shot did. I can buy that. My point was regarding to the difficulty in getting the shot between each species.

Last edited by inletsurf; 08-23-2010 at 05:47 PM.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote