Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
Jimbo2134

New Jersey Inlets

Hello Everyone,

My names Jim. I am a mediocre spearo looking to expand my knowledge of the state. I've dove Manasquan, Barnegate North and South Jetties (home dive), Shark River, and a hand full of other non specific jetties. My goal for 2015 is to dive Every Inlet in NJ that is legal. I have a kayak or two. I would love to meet up with experienced divers in other locations to learn the ropes and would be willing to do the same for them in my home spots. So basically I have two questions that need answering.

1) what inlets are illegal to dive?

2) Anyone wanna dive together?
Jimbo2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Hammerhead8

Re: New Jersey Inlets

I am a novice - the only inlet that I know of that is illegal (or has times stated) is Shark River Inlet. I do not believe there are any other inlets like it in NJ. But I have only dove Manasquan and Shark.
I am a fair weather diver - so best I could say is I will contact you in late April... when the water warms up a bit.
Hammerhead8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
njdiver

New Jersey General Diving Regulations

The NJ Dive Council has posted signs at Shark River Inlet and Manasquan Inlet with the diving rules, please obey them.

*** THIS FILE INCLUDES ALL REGULATIONS ADOPTED AND PUBLISHED THROUGH THE ***
*** NEW JERSEY REGISTER, VOL. 42, NO. 7, APRIL 5, 2010 ***
TITLE 13. LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 82. BOATING REGULATIONS
SUBCHAPTER 3. OPERATIONAL REGULATIONS
§ 13:82-3.17 Diving and swimming

(a) General provisions with respect to diving and swimming are as follows:

1. Underwater diving with or without an underwater apparatus is permitted in all navigable waters in New Jersey unless otherwise prohibited in this section.

2. Any person while diving shall mark his or her position with a buoyed flag:

i. Such flag shall be displayed so that it is visible all around the horizon from a buoy, float, boat or other floating object;

ii. Such flag shall be a minimum of 14 inches by 16 inches, shall be rigid to enhance visibility and shall be a red background with a white diagonal stripe running from one corner to the other.

3. No person shall operate a vessel within 50 feet of the buoyed flag.

4. No person shall display a flag at times other than when diving is in progress.

5. No person shall swim or dive in a narrow, confined or improved channel or in a marked fairway, under a bridge, or impede, obstruct or interfere with passage of watercraft therein.

6. No diver shall surface more than 25 feet from the buoyed flag except in an emergency.

(b) Provisions for Manasquan Inlet are as follows:

1. Underwater diving shall be permitted in the Manasquan Inlet only within 50 feet from the stone jetties and bulkheads.

2. Underwater diving is permitted only in the area east of an imaginary line drawn from Ocean Avenue, Point Pleasant Beach, extended to a point across the inlet at First Avenue, Manasquan.

(c) Provisions for Barnegat Inlet are as follows:

1. Except as provided in this subsection, no person or persons shall, while engaged in goggle fishing, spearfishing or skin diving, enter into any navigable channel or approach within 200 feet of any boat anchored or underway within the water adjacent to the land areas of the Borough of Barnegat Light.

2. No person shall dive in any of the waters of the Barnegat Inlet channel.

3. Skin and Scuba diving is permitted from the north and south jetties, but no person shall dive further than 25 feet from the rock jetty or bulkhead within the inlet.

4. No person shall dive within Barnegat Inlet between 8:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. on Saturdays and Sundays from June 1 to September 30.

5. A diver shall mark his or her position with a float and skin diver's flag.

6. Only "buddy diving" shall be permitted in the Barnegat Inlet.

7. Recreational diving is prohibited within 100 feet of the north monument.

8. Recreational diving is prohibited within the inlet when the current is at flood.

(d) Provisions for Shark River Inlet are as follows:

1. Underwater diving is permitted in the Shark River Inlet in that area which lies east of a line extending from the northwest end of A Street in Belmar to the southeast end of First Avenue in Avon.

2. Divers shall stay within 25 feet of the jetties and bulkheads in the area described.

3. A diver shall mark his or her position with a float and skin diver's flag.

4. No diver shall surface more than 15 feet from the buoyed flag except in an emergency.

5. No underwater diving shall be permitted in Shark River Inlet between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 5:30 P.M. during the period each year commencing May 1 terminating October 1.

http://scubanj.org/NJdiverules.html
Old 01-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

Unrealistic goal. Not poking fun, just being honest.
Intaugnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Hammerhead8

Thanks njdiver for the info - I forgot about the Manasquan imaginary line but knew it was there... Barneget i did not know.

Intaugnito - is that because an inlet should be dove multiple times to get familiar with it? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

I guess my reply got lost in cyber space. Anyways, some of our inlets are still in the natural state, making them very difficult to dive safely.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
Hammerhead8

Maybe you were clear and I was just slow on the pickup.
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead8 View Post
Maybe you were clear and I was just slow on the pickup.
Thanks.
No, sorry. I replied while at work then realized my reply never made it to the message board. I did not mean to imply that it went over your head.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
Jimbo2134

Thank you for the information. I do agree that it can be an unrealistic goal in a way but I am still going to go for it. Spring can't come soon enough.
Jimbo2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #10
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Quote:
Thank you for the information. I do agree that it can be an unrealistic goal in a way but I am still going to go for it. Spring can't come soon enough.
Welcome to the board. Let us know how the quest goes. Without giving away any new found honey hole of course. You never know you may find a little gem. All it takes is a little patch of structure to make a great little spot in the sandier parts of the state.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Density-G

Hi Jimbo!
My name is Erik, just like I told Hammerhead, I'm a novice also, but would be greatful to ahve some dive buddies to spearfish with. If your in need of a second let me know! Talk to you soon!
Density-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Huntandfish

I have been spearing for 2 years now and still have a ton to learn. I need to get my bottom time increased! Looking to dive with someone who has some experience. I have a boat that I keep in a slip in shark river. I dive early on for fluke in the bay and then take the boat out into the ocean as it warms up. Looking to dive the rocks for the first time this season! Anyone interested in hooking up at all this season let me know! I have a couple dive buddies, but they aren't very knowledgeable themselves!
Huntandfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #13
stevetzikas

Hey,

Are you still looking for other ppl to go spearfishing?

Hit me up stevetzikas@gmail.com
stevetzikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
Ric

Can anybody comment on Provision#4 for Barnegat and how does it fit with provision#3 ?
Without any further clarification, I'll take that Provision#3 prevails.

Beside, I thought that the story of big asses hired on AA or cronyism along with fat salaries and who had to justify their fake jobs once in a while by inventing a new law, did not apply to NJ. Was I wrong ?
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #15
water_moccasin

Yes, very.
water_moccasin is offline   Reply With Quote