Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #1
theslothh

New spear reccomendations

I just got a new gun, a Salvimar V-Pro 115. First trip to the reef with the gun and the spear that came with the gun decided that it preferred to stay out there stuck in some coral. So I need a new spear.

Original spear was Salvimar with the wire fins, 7mm by 160cm. It seemed a little bit thin and floppy. Thinking about going to 7.5mm and tossing up between Devoto and Sigal shafts. Both come with a cone and are at a similar price point. The other option I am looking at is the more expensive Hunt shaft but I can only find it available in 7mm for the 160cm length. It is available 7.5 by 150 but I think that would be too short of an overhang.

Gun is currently powered by twin Sigalsub 14.5 small id bands at about 340%. Main target is coral trout on the Great Barrier Reef off Cairns.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.
theslothh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 AM   #2
spearq8

Re: New spear reccomendations

160cm @ 7mm is pushing things a little ... shaft is really tough to get out of the track without whipping. Better for 7mm is a max of 150cm. 7.5mm would work better @160cm. Coral Trout are just pretty grouper ... they can get big and have a tendency of going into holes or crevices ... when that happens a 7.5mm shaft gives a lot more resistance. As for too much overhang ... perfect size for a Pathos 120 is 155cm ... so if Salvimar uses the same band stretch naming a 115cm gun sweet spot would be 150cm.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #3
theslothh

Just pulled the tape measure out again and the 115 is the barrel length, from tip of muzzle to the middle of the trigger mech is 133cm so a 150cm shaft will give me 17cm overhang and 160 will give me 27cm.

My suspicion was that the shaft was too thin for that length, even when it was just sitting on the rail it would flex if you tilted the gun sideways.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #4
spearq8

More important is how much clearance do you have from the muzzle till the end of the flopper. For me the perfect clearance is 2cm to 5cm. Too much over that and your gun will shoot lower.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:45 AM   #5
theslothh

That seems a lot shorter than any of the other guns I have used, using an 80mm flopper that would bring the total overhang to around 20cm?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:45 AM   #6
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslothh View Post
I just got a new gun, a Salvimar V-Pro 115. First trip to the reef with the gun and the spear that came with the gun decided that it preferred to stay out there stuck in some coral. So I need a new spear.

Original spear was Salvimar with the wire fins, 7mm by 160cm. It seemed a little bit thin and floppy. Thinking about going to 7.5mm and tossing up between Devoto and Sigal shafts. Both come with a cone and are at a similar price point. The other option I am looking at is the more expensive Hunt shaft but I can only find it available in 7mm for the 160cm length. It is available 7.5 by 150 but I think that would be too short of an overhang.

Gun is currently powered by twin Sigalsub 14.5 small id bands at about 340%. Main target is coral trout on the Great Barrier Reef off Cairns.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.
I have used that wire fins spear long time ago and every 20 shots I miss 15 ,I think it was overpowered by bands , gun was different not that u use,after that I tried 7mm Rob allen or rabitech can't remembered same length and it was very accurate as spring steel spear more stiff than hardening SS also 7.5mm will give more recoil .
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote