Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #16
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Re: Any Good Lobster Holes Easy Access off Beach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy7 View Post
Dive where you find kelp and you will start to find lobster....
I have dove literally THOUSANDS of kelp paddies, and never seen a lobster on one yet.

I think you are full of shit Tommy.....
Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #17
slodiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
I think this ought to about cover it.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRjTHWYc7aI

coordinates and other helpful info.

Oooohhhhhh............................
Comments like this make me feel at home, thank you Paul
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 AM   #18
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleBeginner View Post
Can any of you recommend any easy access lobster holes between PV and Malibu? I've been going off boats, but no longer have that option and need to do some shore dives for the bugs. Please drop me a line with a good recommendation and the coordinates and any other helpful info on it. You guys rock!

Thanks!
Yeah, jump in at Leo Carrillo. Its a rookery for spearfishermen and tank divers.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #19
Kapono

Classic ..!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #20
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
I have dove literally THOUSANDS of kelp paddies, and never seen a lobster on one yet.

I think you are full of shit Tommy.....
Did you ever make it to the bottom?
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #21
Karma Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasinButts View Post
On a serious note, depending on moon phase, tides, water temp, and other factors (which I'm still trying to put together myself) lobster can be found as shallow as 1-2 ft or as deep as I will never be able to go.

Not to start a debate on whether lobster like kelp, but if there's kelp that means there is usually structure, which means there is also a good chance the structure holds bugs. But then again, I always see empty traps in awesome structure and in thick kelp, so who knows. Lot of spots get pretty picked through with divers, traps, hoop netters, poachers, etc

My two cents would be to pay attention to the shallows when you day dive, and make mental notes on structure. Focus on shallow areas where you can comfortably hunt at night, look for rocks / boudlers / eel grass / patches of sand divided by rocks. A lot of bug diving is about maximizing how much area you can cover in a given time. I've swam around for hours not finding anything then I'll find an area where I can't grab legals fast enough. Quite frankly, I've had my best success diving for bugs in under 30 feet, and grabbed my biggest bugs in less than 10 ft. Once you go out religiously like a lot of guys do at the beginning of the season and rinse, cycle, and repeat, you start to get a hang of things and you get tired of looking for bugs around Christmas time when you've had your fair share for the holiday dinners and all of your buddies and family have been hooked up.

Be safe, and good luck.

Pretty much sums it up
Karma Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #22
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolinedaniel View Post
Did you ever make it to the bottom?
Welllll................ I always knock the bottom out of it...!!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #23
Npfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasinButts View Post
On a serious note, depending on moon phase, tides, water temp, and other factors (which I'm still trying to put together myself) lobster can be found as shallow as 1-2 ft or as deep as I will never be able to go.

Not to start a debate on whether lobster like kelp, but if there's kelp that means there is usually structure, which means there is also a good chance the structure holds bugs. But then again, I always see empty traps in awesome structure and in thick kelp, so who knows. Lot of spots get pretty picked through with divers, traps, hoop netters, poachers, etc

My two cents would be to pay attention to the shallows when you day dive, and make mental notes on structure. Focus on shallow areas where you can comfortably hunt at night, look for rocks / boudlers / eel grass / patches of sand divided by rocks. A lot of bug diving is about maximizing how much area you can cover in a given time. I've swam around for hours not finding anything then I'll find an area where I can't grab legals fast enough. Quite frankly, I've had my best success diving for bugs in under 30 feet, and grabbed my biggest bugs in less than 10 ft. Once you go out religiously like a lot of guys do at the beginning of the season and rinse, cycle, and repeat, you start to get a hang of things and you get tired of looking for bugs around Christmas time when you've had your fair share for the holiday dinners and all of your buddies and family have been hooked up.

Be safe, and good luck.
Amen!!!
Npfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:20 AM   #24
Vyadha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainphrame View Post
Yeah, jump in at Leo Carrillo. Its a rookery for spearfishermen and tank divers.
yep, Leo is still holding good bugs.
Vyadha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #25
BadazzSeaSniper

I didn't even know that skin divers grabbed lobsters by hand!
That is awesome! I wish I would have thought of that years ago! Any veteran lobster grabbers have some advice for a new guy? As far as grabbing them goes?
BadazzSeaSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #26
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadazzSeaSniper View Post
That is awesome! I wish I would have thought of that years ago! Any veteran lobster grabbers have some advice for a new guy? As far as grabbing them goes?
Don't try to grab them, try to smash the ****ers against the rocks like they owe you money.
Also lobsters move backwards very quickly, so aim to grab the tail and you will usually get them way up near the front of the head. Aim for the head and youll be holding water and no bug.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #27
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadazzSeaSniper View Post
1. If they spine you, it will eventually hurt.
2. If you grab them firmly, they will spine you.
3. If you grab them half-heartedly, they will spine you.
4. If you grab them half-heartedly, they will likely escape, after spining you. AND, probably spine you up more than if you has put the screws to them in the first place.

So, as Kyle said; pin them down, like you MEAN IT. And hold them tight, and disregard them spining you. At least for the holes in your hand you will have a lobster to show for it.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #28
Gbaldihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Don't try to grab them, try to smash the ****ers against the rocks like they owe you money.
Also lobsters move backwards very quickly, so aim to grab the tail and you will usually get them way up near the front of the head. Aim for the head and youll be holding water and no bug.
Good advice, but please make sure they're legal before you "smash" them against the rocks. I can't tell you how many undersized bugs I've seen over my diving years with missing antenna/legs/tails from rookies handling them roughly and tossing em back after they measure them. If you're just beginning, error on the side of more than legal than borderline legal before you smash one.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #29
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbaldihunter View Post
Good advice, but please make sure they're legal before you "smash" them against the rocks. I can't tell you how many undersized bugs I've seen over my diving years with missing antenna/legs/tails from rookies handling them roughly and tossing em back after they measure them. If you're just beginning, error on the side of more than legal than borderline legal before you smash one.
If they are missing TAILS...... they were poached, not a result of a hard grab.

Just shot the shit out of the credibility of your post.
1. A lot of lobster which are VERY legal wind up missing legs, simply because they fight back and get away; nature made their legs come off a little easier than ours, and within reason, they survive quite well missing a digit or 2. Almost every diver is grabbing and releasing some short bugs. Those who are not...... are not diving lobster. Lobster are not exactly like abalone..... you can't hover your hand over one and definitively tell that it is an inch over legal. When it comes to lobster, you are looking to make legal, period....not beat it by an inch or more. (While it's nice to do, and I have more experience with that class of lobster than most folks who dive... it is the exception, not the norm.) And it takes a few years of diving to really get to know the size of lobster by first sight.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #30
Gbaldihunter

Quote:
If they are missing TAILS...... they were poached, not a result of a hard grab.

Just shot the shit out of the credibility of your post.
1. A lot of lobster which are VERY legal wind up missing legs, simply because they fight back and get away; nature made their legs come off a little easier than ours, and within reason, they survive quite well missing a digit or 2. Almost every diver is grabbing and releasing some short bugs. Those who are not...... are not diving lobster. Lobster are not exactly like abalone..... you can't hover your hand over one and definitively tell that it is an inch over legal. When it comes to lobster, you are looking to make legal, period....not beat it by an inch or more. (While it's nice to do, and I have more experience with that class of lobster than most folks who dive... it is the exception, not the norm.) And it takes a few years of diving to really get to know the size of lobster by first sight.
Didn't realize the credibility of my post was at stake. Thanks for pointing it out.

Grab whatever size lobster you want HumbleBeginner, tear their legs and anntenna off, measure em and throw em back if they're too small.