Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Mojave Green

HomeMade: 1Breakaway 2FlagPole

I know I am not going to win any prizes with these, but they are simple and they work.

The break away is easy, just rubber tubing. Then take an ink pen and cut a 1 inch section from the plastic tubed handle. Put inside rubber tube, and drill hole through both and add mono line as shown. The plastic pen tube keeps the rubber from taring.

The flag pole is two plastic tent spikes held together as shown. This is a snug fit into the holes in a kayak, but still allows holes to function for water flow, about a 50% reduction. The double tent spikes with their easily modified material have endless uses for adding a removeable post mount to a kayak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Quick Release.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	147960   Click image for larger version

Name:	HomeMade Flag pole .jpg
Views:	715
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	147961  
Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
itsjust.mark

Re: HomeMade: 1Breakaway 2FlagPole

Very nice.

Here is a post that may interest you.
Bill had a breakaway system much like yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
I sure do. The failure of the Riffe thing is what made me try the Hawaiian breakaway. I had a Riffe Island and had been using the Riffe pigtail for a couple of years with no problem. I couple of my dive buddies warned me that it might not come out some time, and they had either installed an eye-bolt or the Alexander breakaway bracket on the side of the gun so that the pigtail didn't have to take a 90° turn to pull out. But I didn't listen, and then I shot a yellowfin tuna, the pigtail didn't pull out, the gun was almost torn out of my hands, and the slip tip pulled out.

A couple of weeks later I was in Hawaii and went out on Daryl Wong's boat, and I noticed that every gun on the boat was rigged with the Hawaiian system, so I switched. Its simple and foolproof, and nothing has to pull out of anything.
itsjust.mark is offline   Reply With Quote