Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Re: Inner Tube Weight Harness

Well, I have been experimenting with a new harness but have had limited success once the innertube has been sheathed in tubular webbing. I did this to protect the innertube from cuts and abrasions as a small cut in the rubber may drain the shot from the rubber. I did lobster dive with it for a whole season with no blowouts but I was semi careful. I also sheathed it to reduce the squeaking sound when I turned my head back and forth which was terrible for sea bass hunting

The problem is that the nylon now slides over your torso once you pike and descend..more so at depth when your lungs are compressed. The bare rubber in the original (like a rubber weight) stayed put.

The tubular webbing did eliminate the squeaking sound and the stretch still remained in the harness as the tubular webbing has extra length to allow for lung expansion. The tubular webbing was a bit of a pain to cover the innertube as well. I think I am over using it.

Here it is sheathed. It looks slick but still has issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	210030  
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #17
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

I solved the squeak issue and the stay-put-when-you-dive issue. Now you don't have the weight on the part of the harness that rests on your shoulders, so you sit higher in the water when you are looking around or talking to your buddy. Also having no weigh on your shoulders make the quick release even faster as the harness does not want to cling to your shoulders. I have dove with this version about 10 times and I love it. Best so far. It is super comfortable and does not burp bubbles. I have made a few for buddies with great reviews. BTW this one is 7lbs and I wear 4 on my belt during summer. No back pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (7).jpg
Views:	310
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	210031  

Last edited by Rosstnfound; 08-25-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #18
fishkillapro

Dude! I have some middle back pain and would love one of these. How much to make me one just like that?
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #19
Apneaddict

You can always add a neck weight

A unique take on Freediving and Apnea:
http://apneaddict.blogspot.com/
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkillapro View Post
Dude! I have some middle back pain and would love one of these. How much to make me one just like that?
About $39.50 total but if you have some soft weights laying around, it would $21 less. Shipping and gas to get stuff was another $15. Time to make it is about 45 minutes

Approximate cost of the material not including shipping (which added up)

$6 Innertube
$6 snap shackle
$2 webbing
$1.5 3 D-rings
$1 dyneema for tying up tubes and webbing around d-ring (sewn in better)
$2 bungee ( I used about 24 inches total)
$21 7 lbs lead shot. i bought used soft weights on craigslist at $3/lb.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apneaddict View Post
You can always add a neck weight
Neck weights are a good option for smaller amounts of weight but the added weight there makes you sit lower in the water when your head is out. This is the reason I took the lead off the shoulder portion and just use webbing on the shoulders now.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Rosstnfound, you're awesome. Thanks for putting this up here. It's a great idea. I banged one out in hardly any time at all, based on the last picture you put up. I'll put some details up, in case they help anyone else.

materials
- Go to a bike shop and ask for a bad innertube or 2 from the trash. FREE
- See if you can find an old laptop or luggage shoulder strap for the shoulder webbing. (I have been saving these "in case I find a use for them", so this was vindication for my hoarding. Thanks for that too, Ross). FREE
- Duct tape (Had it. Free)
- Weight - I had some bags of old, sketchy looking shotgun shells a friend gave me years ago. I broke them open and collected shot in a baggie until I had 4 lbs, then split it up into 2 packs of 2 lbs. I understand this is not a resource you can expect to find, so your money probably will flow here... (FREE).

The stuff I spent money on was for the quick release section:
Snap Shackle - $13ish
bungee - $3ish

I used the ends of the laptop straps for the metal Ds at the ends of the shoulder straps and innertube sections. I used bolt cutters to clip off the snap parts, and ran the bungee through the shallow D rings that were left behind. I wired the snap shackle to one of those Ds and rigged it as Ross pictured.

The only problem I have is getting the bungee to leave my shackle. there's a bit of swell to the end of the shackle hook, so the bungee snags there. I'll probably either use epoxy to ramp up to the swell, or file down the swell.

I also made long pouches out of plastic bags and duct tape for the two 2lb shot packets. They slid into the innertube without much friction, and this gives me peace of mind for losing some of the smaller shot.

So, thanks to Ross, for about $16 I have a 4lb weight harness. 4lbs is what I wear when line diving, so it's a good starting point.
I probably could have found a cheaper clasp too, but I like the idea of the rip-cord style release.

Cheers
Mike
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #23
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Hey Chuuken,

re "The only problem I have is getting the bungee to leave my shackle. there's a bit of swell to the end of the shackle hook, so the bungee snags there. I'll probably either use epoxy to ramp up to the swell, or file down the swell."

I used JB Weld to smooth out the ramp on some of the snap shackles. It did the trick. Also 3/16" bungee slides and does not grab like thinner bungee. Some brands of snap shackles don"t have much of a flair. 2" is a good size. bigger than that is not necessary.

Great you had all those parts handy! Hope you like it.

Ross
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #24
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Thanks! I think that JB weld idea is the ticket. I probably could have got a larger shackle... Live and learn.

As it is, I have a rip cord that is tied to both the pin of the shackle and the hook. I have to pull the rip cord to my right, then left. The right pops it, the left physically pulls the shackle out of the bungee, swell or no.

Now I need to get it wet!
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuuken View Post
As it is, I have a rip cord that is tied to both the pin of the shackle and the hook. I have to pull the rip cord to my right, then left. The right pops it, the left physically pulls the shackle out of the bungee, swell or no.
That is a great idea and slick workaround. It sounds like it would prevent unintended release if the pin gets pulled accidentally. I have been using a zip tie on mine for the pull. It is easy to grab but very streamline so the chance of snagging it and releasing harness is small.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:35 AM   #26
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Hey, Ross. I just saw this video on another thread.

The simplicity of the Sporasub Weight Vest quick release system speaks volumes for diver safety.

I am sure you could configure your Inner Tube Weight Harness to match.

Dive safe.

Simplicity is the highest form of sophistication. Leonardo Da Vinci

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote