Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Freshy

Sporasub One Gun Question

Does anyone know if Rob Allen 7mm shafts fit in the Sporasub One trigger mech? I've been interested in the gun for quite a while and finally think I'm gonna grab the 105cm. It'll be awesome if RA shafts would work as they are my favorite shafts to use in euro guns.
I've read a few reviews of the Sporasub One and all of them seem to be positive. Are there any users out there that have had any issues with them? Should I be aware of anything before I buy? Thanks in advance.
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
spearq8

Re: Sporasub One Gun Question

Yes the RA shaft fits perfectly well in the Sporasub (now Omer) One gun ... but why would you want to do that? The One gun has one of the best shafts on earth and is designed to work perfectly with the One gun. I just wish that Omer did not stop making that original shaft after buying Sporasub. The One shaft has a unique flopper with small slide ring that allows flopper to stay closed and only engage when you penetrate a fish. To remove the fish you simply push the slide ring into the flopper and easily pull the fish out. I have been using those shafts for almost 4 years and really like them. The shaft is 6.75mm and has a rest tab and 2 other tabs. The rest tab allows you to use a lot of power on your band, and allows you to push the gun quite hard. I did not encounter any shaft whip with a 20mm band cut as short as I was able to load, I truly believe that the shark fins allow much higher shaft whip resistance. I think now Omer has come out with the America One shaft that might be selling with the newer One guns. It comes in 6.5mm, 6.75mm and 7mm. This shaft is incredibly accurate and has fins with rest tab. They did have a problem with their first batch of shafts as they used some bonding agent to hold the fins to the shaft, but the latest batches come with a small divot mark at the back of the shaft to not mix them with the defective original first batch. The America One shafts use a tempered SS flopper which allows the flopper to be extra thin for an extremely hydrodynamic profile, yet still remain strong. The accuracy of those shafts are the same as for a flopperless shaft. I bought about 20 of those shafts to use on various guns, but to be honest after hearing about the problems with the initial batch, I decided to Tig weld the two back shark fins to avoid any possible problems with failure of the bonding agent. I left the loading tab as is because I felt that it was not critical, and if I tried to Tig weld that, maybe the shaft would need straightening since the heat of the Tig might warp it.

The only RA shaft I have seen locally are made from carbon steel with a corrosion resistant coating. They are extremely stiff (which is great) but they use cut out notches that make the shaft thin in the notch area. A 7mm shaft is 4.55mm thick in the notch area. I haven't seen a RA shaft with fins or a rest tab (although they might be available elsewhere), so you would probably not be able to load it as high without shaft whip occurring . If you hunt in high salinity water, the high carbon shafts really need special care as they will corrode very quickly.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
AEgir

Some good info as usual spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I haven't seen a RA shaft with fins or a rest tab
Not sure about RA, but Mako sells South African carbon steel shafts (comparable to RA) WITH rest tabs.
AEgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Freshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Yes the RA shaft fits perfectly well in the Sporasub (now Omer) One gun ... but why would you want to do that? The One gun has one of the best shafts on earth and is designed to work perfectly with the One gun. I just wish that Omer did not stop making that original shaft after buying Sporasub. The One shaft has a unique flopper with small slide ring that allows flopper to stay closed and only engage when you penetrate a fish. To remove the fish you simply push the slide ring into the flopper and easily pull the fish out. I have been using those shafts for almost 4 years and really like them. The shaft is 6.75mm and has a rest tab and 2 other tabs. The rest tab allows you to use a lot of power on your band, and allows you to push the gun quite hard. I did not encounter any shaft whip with a 20mm band cut as short as I was able to load, I truly believe that the shark fins allow much higher shaft whip resistance. I think now Omer has come out with the America One shaft that might be selling with the newer One guns. It comes in 6.5mm, 6.75mm and 7mm. This shaft is incredibly accurate and has fins with rest tab. They did have a problem with their first batch of shafts as they used some bonding agent to hold the fins to the shaft, but the latest batches come with a small divot mark at the back of the shaft to not mix them with the defective original first batch. The America One shafts use a tempered SS flopper which allows the flopper to be extra thin for an extremely hydrodynamic profile, yet still remain strong. The accuracy of those shafts are the same as for a flopperless shaft. I bought about 20 of those shafts to use on various guns, but to be honest after hearing about the problems with the initial batch, I decided to Tig weld the two back shark fins to avoid any possible problems with failure of the bonding agent. I left the loading tab as is because I felt that it was not critical, and if I tried to Tig weld that, maybe the shaft would need straightening since the heat of the Tig might warp it.

The only RA shaft I have seen locally are made from carbon steel with a corrosion resistant coating. They are extremely stiff (which is great) but they use cut out notches that make the shaft thin in the notch area. A 7mm shaft is 4.55mm thick in the notch area. I haven't seen a RA shaft with fins or a rest tab (although they might be available elsewhere), so you would probably not be able to load it as high without shaft whip occurring . If you hunt in high salinity water, the high carbon shafts really need special care as they will corrode very quickly.
Thanks spearq8, I appreciate the time you took to type up that info. The main reason I want to use RA shafts is because they are cheap and don't bend easy, but you bring up some good points. I'm heading to the LDS today and I'll find out more about the One shafts (cost, thickness etc).

I've had my RA 90 (with 7mm RA shaft) for 4 years now and it only has rust at the tip. All I do after I hop out of the water is give the gun a good rinse with freshwater and then dry it off with a beach towel. The shaft has killed some nice fish and is still as straight as the day I bought it. I know there was a batch of RA shafts that rusted like crazy but they usually don't do that. For some reason, I prefer the carbon spring steel shafts over the stainless steel shafts. Maybe that'll change once I see the One shaft. The Riffe Euro stainless steel shafts were pretty nice as well. I know RA makes pinned shafts too so maybe that is an option as well.
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote