Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #16
spearq8

Re: 15mm Small ID Rubber

The stuff comes off easily with a paper towel or a clean rag. You can also get silicone spray ... I use it on anything rubber ... bungees, wetsuit connectors ... anything rubber will love this stuff. On a 2 month trip I would get extra rubber as it will degrade quickly if left in the sun on a boat for days. I only use the silicone when I plan to put the bands to store for the next season. Rubber will tend to get damaged quickly and some lines or sharp faceted tips will damage your bands. Think of them as disposable and use them until you feel they had enough. If you are going to a remote area, just get some extra bands with you, if you don't use those bands, you can leave them as gifts for guys that are putting you on fish there. They will certainly appreciate that.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #17
Castronova
The Conch Republic

For that long of a trip you can cut some extra bands and order some Amber UV resistant bags to put them in. Zip them up and the UV light will stay off of them at minimum. Might be worth the small cost.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #18
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
I just received a batch of 15mm small ID gray/amber band material from Primeline. So far I'm very happy with how the run turned out. I had this done to fill a gap for myself and other using heavier shafts. I also wanted to get something just a tad bit larger so that it better fills out the muzzles and band holes, an annoying problem I had with the 14mm. So far, calipers have measured as small as 14.75mm, but average is right around 14.9mm
If anyone tests or uses them hunting please let me know what they think and leave some reviews. I'm curious to see what the consensus is. Personally I will starting with them cut at 350-360% and go from there.
15mm Small ID Gray/Amber
Triton, what $ are we looking at to get sixteen [16] feet mailed to Australia? thanks!
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #19
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

REALLY keen to try on my Albacore. vs the ~14.5s on it now
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #20
Dr.P

Got 100 feet, this is good stuff. Best batch I've used of the small ID yet.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 AM   #21
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
REALLY keen to try on my Albacore. vs the ~14.5s on it now
I do think these thicker bands would be especially useful for a 2 banded 8mm shaft setup ... 2 bands struggle to get an 8mm shaft moving at super high velocities, even if you push to 140cm band stretch. With a 7.5mm shaft and 135cm stretch I think you get to TV and I noticed much flatter trajectory than 8mm shaft. With an 8.5mm shaft and 135cm band stretch ... that shaft is moving really fast and for a while I thought I was at TV. But then I accidentally setup an Albacore 130 with 3 x 14.8mm bands @395% ... and performance went through the roof. You really had to be careful and make sure you held the gun firm otherwise it could get yanked off your hand when the shaft would reach the end of 2 wraps. This would make me think that even at 8.5mm things can improve. A 170cm shaft with a good reverse trigger and back shark fins can be made to have close to 148cm of band stretch ... add to that 3 x 15mm small ID @380% and you have to think you are getting really close to TV. I would think the shaft will fly flat all the way to 7 meters and maybe drop 2 inches by the time it reaches 8 meters. To give you an idea how impressive that is ... the shaft drop of a Riffe Euro 120 with a 7.2mm shaft @ 5 meters is around 8 to 10 inches!
Old 09-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #22
Triton

Kavachi, sent you a PM
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #23
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

It's true that the Primeline bands differ quite a bit in size between batches (or end of rolls?). The latest 14mm I got is actually 14.7mm. Might have been the last of a roll but if you are interested give a call to the SpearAmerica shop in Torrence (I got mine a week ago) and ask if they have any left - they have calipers in the shop.

For storage of bands, these cheap vacuum bags work well, too:

They are used to compact winter clothes, bed linen, duvets, etc. In China, they are cheap and suspect they are in the US, too. Coincidentally, they make great vacuum bags for composites work, too and the ziplock opening is airtight and the whole bag can be opened and reused without issue.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-13-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:13 AM   #24
TVA

Just tied up a fresh set of Sigalsub bands and 30ft of this showed up on my doorstep. I'll have to do some back to back testing of this 15 vs the Sigal 14.5 on my Denton 120 firing a 160cm 8mil shaft. That shaft needs some help getting moving.
TVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:06 AM   #25
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
It's true that the Primeline bands differ quite a bit in size between batches (or end of rolls?). The latest 14mm I got is actually 14.7mm. Might have been the last of a roll but if you are interested give a call to the SpearAmerica shop in Torrence (I got mine a week ago) and ask if they have any left - they have calipers in the shop.

For storage of bands, these cheap vacuum bags work well, too:

They are used to compact winter clothes, bed linen, duvets, etc. In China, they are cheap and suspect they are in the US, too. Coincidentally, they make great vacuum bags for composites work, too and the ziplock opening is airtight and the whole bag can be opened and reused without issue.
Wow ... that came out amazingly well! Great idea to store bands long term as you can just open it and take out a couple of feet then put it back in. I actually have a bunch of those bags with the hand pump ... I just never thought you could get the kind of vacuum you seem to have there! Time to give it a try.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #26
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I actually managed to collapse the rubber valve and the bag leaked as a result - just from the vacuum created by the little hand pump. But on another bag it behaved as it should. The bags came with a little plastic screw lid that I actually think clamps down on the the rubber valve and holds it in place - but I misplaced the lids. Instead, I just stuck some "tacky tape" (the stuff used on composites bags) into the valve and now, it is has held the vacuum since I posted above.

Anyways, long story short, I am pleasantly surprised with these bags and the fact that the zip lock mechanism hasn't leaked at all.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-16-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #27
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
...the 14mm black/amber small ID (which usually does and is currently running larger) is Primeline, 15mm gray small ID is Primeline, the other blue and green 14.5 small ID is Kent
So how do these two brands compare in your opinion?

Much appreciated.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #28
Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
So how do these two brands compare in your opinion?

Much appreciated.
The same size material side by side I have almost always measured less force on the Kent material, but more consistency in diameter. The Kent material is also usually noticeably stretchier so some people might prefer it but the majority like the Primeline better since it has more force and at these smaller diameters they are all pretty easy to load anyways.
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #29
Diver278

When switching to small ID rubber do you use the same length as the rubber your replacing?

Last edited by Diver278; 10-09-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #30
kon

My experience using this 15mm rubber on the Albacore: http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...26#post2155426
kon is offline   Reply With Quote